Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > In Car Electronics (L322) > 2002-2006 Replacement head unit running Android
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 25 of 36 <123 ... 242526 ... 343536>
Print this entire topic · 
Haylands

England 2014 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

Yes it can and it SHOULD be even easier as it should all plug in at the front... but take that with a pinch of salt... it would definitely fit though..... Thumbs Up Pete

2002 L322 Vogue 4.4 V8 Epson Green, Ivory over Aspen Interior (Fatty Offroader) Sold
-Click for Project Fatty off roader-

Post #345059 29th Aug 2015 9:41pm
MrKev

United Kingdom 

Thanks all,

Using Haylands excellent write up as a guide, I've now installed a ES2053 head unit. They recommended this model, it may be quad core, depends on which page of the information you read... anyway, really pleased with it so far.

I've also been keen to retain the DSP amp in my car, which should also help look after the HF drivers during loud, bass heavy tracks.

So I've been spending some time reading up and decoding the I-bus messages on pin 10 (note, not CANbus, it's just a single wire 12V bus) and have got to the point where I have been able to build a little interface which keeps the DSP amp active, and I also have some control over forwards / rear / left / right panning - still a little more decoding to do here.

My intention is then to make a bluetooth interface which is controlled from an app running on the head unit to control the sound.

I'll publish details here on how to make your own interface if anyone is interested, but also if there's interest I may be able to put a couple of kits together too.

Thanks for the help, and great write up on cable routing.
Kevin

Post #345712 2nd Sep 2015 7:19pm
johnboyairey

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Westminster TDV8 Orkney Grey

sounds an excellent idea.

Post #345713 2nd Sep 2015 7:22pm
pietertje

Netherlands 2002 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Java Black

Sounds great!
I want to install the android unit too but I'm being held back by the loss of the DSP. 2002 L322 V8

Post #345741 2nd Sep 2015 8:57pm
Haylands

Top job Kevin, I've asked several folk as guessed it can't be that hard but not had any luck... would be excellent if you could sort it out... Bow down Bow down Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Pete

2002 L322 Vogue 4.4 V8 Epson Green, Ivory over Aspen Interior (Fatty Offroader) Sold

Post #345742 2nd Sep 2015 9:02pm
marcevs72

England 2003 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Adriatic Blue

Just used the guide today to fit an iPhone stereo and made a daunting job so easy.great write up and many thanks mate for taking the time to help others out 👍

Post #347563 13th Sep 2015 6:15pm
williamb76

United Kingdom 2004 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Java Black
Whats the best suggestion for a 2004 RR Vogue upgrade stereo

Evening all,

A great thread which goes well over my head and all looks great stuff. New owner of a 2004 non touchscreen RR and i want a new stereo that connects to iPhone 6s, play DAB radio, Run google maps or Apple maps, apps etc... Looked at the Pioneer apple car play but was quoted nearly 900 for full install. The android units mentioned here look good, i not want to loose the steering wheel control.

I have DSP and would like to have something at a sensible price, Anyone near Richmond who could fit, up for a trek for a one day install

Any help welcome,
Will

Post #347738 14th Sep 2015 9:12pm
DT277

I too am looking for someone to install a new android head unit in much the same way Haylands/Pete did.

If there's anyone in the North London or surrounding area who would like the work please PM me. Hayland's offered to do it but suggested I may want to shout out first as he's got a lot on over the next few weeks.

Also, the unit he fitted is no longer supplied by Erisin but they have a newer replacement.

Mine is a 2004 vogue and I can leave the car for a few days if needed.

Thanks!

Post #348008 16th Sep 2015 2:45pm
jetset

United Kingdom 2002 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Adriatic Blue
DSP

Great reading, many thanks to all.
I too would like to keep my DSP as i like my music loud! MrKev have you come up with an answer yet?........alternatively eBay has several 5 channel high power amps (1 for the sub) and passive crossovers at not much money.

Post #349306 24th Sep 2015 6:33pm
MrKev

United Kingdom 

I've got the amp staying on all the time (when needed) by sending the keep alive message to it. At the moment it defaults to 'quiet' on startup and I need to send a bunch of volume up messages too, I haven't decided on the optimum number yet, butbive been sidetracked the last couple of weeks.

I'll put some effort in this weekend, and maybe start a dedicated thread on here for those who wish to contribute or tryout themselves
themselves - for simplicity I'm using am arduino and a simple circuit, and now a Bluetooth 'sheild' to allow an easy way to send control messages in from the android bit.

I also have a loose crimp connection somewhere in the eresin loom which I need to track down.

Kev

Post #349314 24th Sep 2015 8:04pm
mjdronfield

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Buckingham Blue

I believe the bm54 starts in a different mode depending on whether it sees the dsp on the ibus. It may be that causing an issue. Don't know for sure though. I think they talk to each other......

Sounds a very good development. Keep up the good work......

Thumbs Up 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE 4.4 TDV8

Previous cars :
2003 Range Rover Vogue TD6
1999 Discovery Td5 ES
1995 BMW M5 3.8 6 speed
1992 Range Rover 3.9 Efi Vogue
1992 BMW M5 3.8
1988 BMW 735i SE
1989 Ford Sierra XR4x4 2.9i
1981 Ford Fiesta Supersport

Post #349315 24th Sep 2015 8:10pm
Haylands

Had two leads from Erisin now that have had problems inside the filter box on the long lead, the little black box on the power lead, they had been over soldered and burnt the PCB track off... both gave intermittent faults... managed to repair them with some more soldering, moved the wires to different points on the PCB...

Good news with the can bus, if you do a write up please do it in idiot speak, I haven't a clue what your talking about above... Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Whistle Thumbs Up Pete

Post #349330 24th Sep 2015 10:13pm
wayneg

Australia 2007 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Java Black

I have just received a unit from AliExpress, Shipped from Singapore Took 5 days to arrive US$333 Via DHL.
Its going into my 2003 HSE so hopefully should be easy. I decided on this one as it has a High res screen, quad core 1.6ghz cpu. Hopefully I will get it fitted next week when I have time. The full Specs are....

ANDROID 4.4.4

1.1024X600 HD Capacitive Touch Screen

2.CPU: Cortex A9 Quad Core, 1.6GHZ

3.RAM(Memory):1GB DDR3

4.Inand Flash:16GB

5.Support 1080P+Support Lossless music

6.Support Steering Wheel Control(If your car have it)

7.Bluetooth Phonebook Search From "A to Z"

8.7"Capacitive Multi-touch screen

9.Wifi Built-in, Do not need connect external Wifi Dongle,Can get WLAN

10. 8GB Map Card As Gift(If We do not have the country that you need, would send Empty SD Card as gift)

11. Built in MIC

12. OSD Language: English/ Russian/ French/ German/ Spanish/ Italian/ Arabic/ Portuguese/Turkish/Thai/Poli sh/Hebrew etc over 20 kinds language

13. Rear View Camera Include .no need to buy extra

14. Support Media Card/GPS Card/ USB Stick up to 32GB SD card and 1T hard disk

15. DIY Main Menu Display: You can drag Search Bar, Weather Forecast widgets, Music/Radio/BT-Stereo Player,Apps or other Bookmarks on main menu to display

16. Built-In Clock and Calendar, it has a Real Clock to show time, Clock/Date/Week adjustable

17. Choose 76 open unit logos and Radio Area in Factory Settings

18. 8 live wallpapers, 21 wallpapers, support DIY wallpaper from Gallery Pictures

19.Built-in WiFi dongle, support 802.11b/g/n WLAN Standard, High Performance, Low Power Consumption

20.Support 3G Internet, support extral USB Dongle: WCDMA,EVDO,TD-SCDMA.

3G modem 35 usd

21 Support Google Maps online Navigating, you can use GPS Navigating if you in Internet

22 Support Android Maps Navigation, Free 8GB TF Card with maps will be in parcel contents included

23 Support Dual Zone function, while Navigating you can listen music or radio at the same time

24 Support Android Multimedia Player, it can play Music/Movie/Photo from local Disc or connected TF Card.

25 Online Entertainment, support online video, TV, movie, music, radio, Youtube, Yahoo, MSN...

26 Online Communication, keep connected through WeChat, Twitter, Facebook, Gtalk, Gmail and other services

27. Support read and edit Official Software, WORD/EXCEL/POWERPOINT/PDF/TXT.

28. Support Google Play Store, you can download thousands of Apps from here and you can down many popular games like Fruit Ninja, Feed the Candy, Angry Birds, Fieldrunner, speed forge 3D...

29. Support 3D Games, HD Video, 1080P, H.264, DIVX Live images Formats

30. Support HD Videos up to 1920*1080 pixels, Photo up to 4096*4096 pixels

31. 4 x 45w Surround Stereo, Subwoofer Output

32. Support Bluetooth hands-free function, built-in microphone

33. Support A2DP Bluetooth, can play stereo music through Bluetooth from your Phone

34. Download phone book function, you can download contact information from your phone to this unit

35. Support the newest Phone Book Search, you can search&find a contact member in downloaded phone book,just input the first letter of name, you will find some associated names, then you can choose the right one

36. Radio Tuner with RDS, 30 Preset Radio Stations (FM: 3*6, AM: 2*6)

37. USB Port and Micro SD Slot, Support USB Stick and Memory Card up to 32GB

38.Built-in Car DVR System, just connect with a USB Camera to use Car Record function. the records will be saved in GPS card automatically, and you can play saved record on this unit directly.

39. Support External MPEG2/MPEG4/ISDB-T Box input T2, Touch Control and Power supply(Optional)

40. Support Rear View Camera input and reverse trigger Control

41. Support Steering Wheel control function 2007 TDV8 VSE
2003 TD6 gone.
2002 P38a gone
1999 P38a gone
1997 p38a gone
1993 VSE gone
1992 VSE gone
1966 Series 2a with V8 conversion gone

Post #349342 25th Sep 2015 4:37am
MrKev

United Kingdom 

Time for a progress update...

I'm currently trying to figure out why the right hand side only seems to have sound and the left hand side has sound but really quiet.

I thought this was a loose connection as the level was previously intermittently loud and quiet - a bit of investigating led to a loose connection in the 40 pin plug in the boot, in a crimp drifting out of the terminal housing on the Erisin supplied 6m loom. Easily fixed, and now the right hand side is at a good level. I therefore assumed that the left would be a similar problem as the levels were previously about the same, but so far no success in finding it. I'll try swapping some channels, and also looking at the other end next. Worse case I've popped one input to my DSP amp through all the messing about, which at the moment feels unlikely. I wired the original screen back in earlier for a test too, and I think (although I now question it) that all round was working.

Anyway, here's what I've done (in brief):

using this code written for an Arduino https://bitbucket.org/kevinblain/uk.co.bit...sinterface I am now sending periodically (every 10 seconds) the message which is the status request from the bm54 (radio) to the DSP which asks "how's is all going". The DSP replies "fine thanks" but I don't care about that! The important bit is if you don't keep talking to it, it thinks you don't want to be friends anymore and sulks in silence.

I'm now also sending 10 'volume up' messages on startup to wind the DSP up a bit louder, and means I have more range on the volume control on the Eresin head unit.

Finally, I'm added a bluetooth module (Maplin http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/bluetooth-shield-for-arduino-n97dg) which allows me to send and receive control and in future diagnostic messages from a laptop or app running on the head unit, for example balance, fader, volume plus I've almost figured out how to set the time - I can set it to 11:00AM, though I was intending to set it to 14:00, so I'm not quite understanding all the numbers just yet).

I'm using this circuit to interface from the Arduino to the I-Bus. Note it's I-Bus, not CANbus (this explains it well: http://www.e38.org/bussystem.pdf)

If anyone out there fancies giving this a go, great. At the moment my code doesn't do anything clever around bus collision detection, something I'll need to build up some enthusiasm to code and test, but the basics do seem to be there.

Kev

Post #349650 27th Sep 2015 4:59pm
miggit

United Kingdom 

Kev, buddy you lost me at Hello Laughing But that looks impressive Thumbs Up I knew that it wouldn't be long before someone with knowledge got involved Bow down I can't wait to see, sorry hear the end result Laughing

Pete, How Long is this thread Shocked Got to be a winner on the technical front Thumbs Up Yesterday I couldn't spell Engineer... Today I are one!
Inventor of the 'Guide-o-Matic automatic wheel alignment tool'
Former long term L322 owner, Up/Down graded to a Classic Tractor!

Post #349657 27th Sep 2015 5:20pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 25 of 36 <123 ... 242526 ... 343536>