Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > In Car Electronics (L322) > 2002-2006 Replacement head unit running Android
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 14 of 36 <123 ... 131415 ... 343536>
Print this entire topic · 
Dave1946

United Kingdom 2002 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Epsom Green

Yes, I understand what you are saying Miggit.
I had to think long and hard about the expense!
I've had mine running for almost a month now though, and I'm glad I did it. It does everything I could want and I'm really pleased by the way it performs.
As it is, audio wise, it's fine for me, and honestly making those changes in the footwell at the back, for the speakers, wasn't all that difficult. And I'm no auto electrician!
I fully understand and agree that it's not the best idea to be putting the full frequency range through all the speakers, and I've been doing some reading on the net about high and low pass filters construction. It's not so frightening as I thought and so I'm going to see if I can sort something out.
I don't know, it just seems logical to me to go that route rather than trying to join a 2014 self contained head unit to a few parts of a 2002 system.
But wouldn't it be boring if we all did the same things 😏

Post #292838 13th Nov 2014 11:21pm
miggit

United Kingdom 

I agree with those sentiments Dave, life would be very boring if there was only one solution, plus it would probably mean that some git has got there first and copy righted it! Rolling with laughter Yesterday I couldn't spell Engineer... Today I are one!
Inventor of the 'Guide-o-Matic automatic wheel alignment tool'
Former long term L322 owner, Up/Down graded to a Classic Tractor!

Post #292844 14th Nov 2014 12:08am
ironhorse

United Kingdom 2003 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Giverny Green

correct me if im wrong but are you missing the point

the idea is to change the VERY OUTDATED head unit to a VERY USER FRIENDLY touch screen unit with satnav (also very user friendly) and with music storage more than 6 cds that you can not change because you can not get the cartridge out.
also nice to have ipod connectivity ect
also reversing cam is very useful
also very nice if we can get the VOLUME to work

this in my book needs to be done as easy as poss

some of us just want to listen to a bit of music or the nav just to get us through the journey

if you want more or less than that thats up to you,

i like the touchscreen set up if you dont -well dont do it

keep it simple -simple works

Last edited by ironhorse on 14th Nov 2014 8:18pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #293032 14th Nov 2014 7:49pm
Trans.am

England 

Hi Haylands . Could I give you a call about your upgrade . I live in Grimsby so not too far away
My mobile number is 0777179571 or email trans.am@hotmail.co.uk
Look forward to hearing from you
Gary

Post #293033 14th Nov 2014 7:50pm
mjdronfield

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Buckingham Blue

I don't think there is anyone contributing to this thread that doesn't like the android head unit.

It's not really just a like for like screen swap though. What's contained in the android unit is spread the length of the car in the factory setup.

I'm just trying to give peeps the information so they can make an educated choice as to what they want to do.

Thumbs Up 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE 4.4 TDV8

Previous cars :
2003 Range Rover Vogue TD6
1999 Discovery Td5 ES
1995 BMW M5 3.8 6 speed
1992 Range Rover 3.9 Efi Vogue
1992 BMW M5 3.8
1988 BMW 735i SE
1989 Ford Sierra XR4x4 2.9i
1981 Ford Fiesta Supersport

Post #293049 14th Nov 2014 8:43pm
Steverr

United Kingdom 2003 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Zermatt Silver

Ok, I am one confused plumb!!! Embarassed
Why can't I remove the head unit completely and just plug in the android into its connectors ? Probably been already mentioned but to be honest my head is going around in circles Big Cry

Post #293061 14th Nov 2014 9:30pm
Haylands

England 2014 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

Trans.am wrote:
Hi Haylands . Could I give you a call about your upgrade . I live in Grimsby so not too far away
My mobile number is 0777179571 or email trans.am@hotmail.co.uk
Look forward to hearing from you
Gary

Email sent

SteveRR because it dosen't work like that... unless you have an HSE without the head unit with a screen, then you can plug it in at the front.... On the Vogue spec ones it is just a screen, the radio/TV/CD/amp/GPS units are all in the boot so you have to get back there to wire it in.... well the CD is in the glove box but you get the idea..... Pete

2002 L322 Vogue 4.4 V8 Epson Green, Ivory over Aspen Interior (Fatty Offroader) Sold
-Click for Project Fatty off roader-

Post #293062 14th Nov 2014 9:41pm
mjdronfield

Because the connectors on the original head unit feed to the rear of the car where the action happens. It's really only a screen. The speakers are fed from the amp in the boot with a channel dedicated to the frequency the speaker its connecting to is made to reproduce. The amps need the original screen to tell them to power on. If you remove it and connect the android unit to the amps, you will get no sound. The amps will be off.

The android unit does not have enough speaker channels to feed the speakers in the RR, nor does it have built in crossovers to make sure the speakers get the right frequencies. This can damage the amp, the speakers and make the sound a little strange.

The system is only really plug and play on the lower spec cars, with the less fancy system in as standard. 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE 4.4 TDV8

Previous cars :
1999 Discovery Td5 ES
1995 BMW M5 3.8 6 speed
1992 BMW M5 3.8
1988 BMW 735i SE

Post #293065 14th Nov 2014 9:44pm
mjdronfield

Sorry Pete, I'm a slow typist..... 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE 4.4 TDV8

Previous cars :
1999 Discovery Td5 ES
1995 BMW M5 3.8 6 speed
1992 BMW M5 3.8
1988 BMW 735i SE

Post #293068 14th Nov 2014 9:47pm
Steverr

Okie dokie.... Thumbs Up now we're cooking. Thank you

Post #293073 14th Nov 2014 10:12pm
mjdronfield

Don't get me wrong, it's doable, but we have been discussing the best way of interfacing to the existing kit, which is why there are a number of options and theories, and people focussing in on different areas to find some answers. 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE 4.4 TDV8

Previous cars :
1999 Discovery Td5 ES
1995 BMW M5 3.8 6 speed
1992 BMW M5 3.8
1988 BMW 735i SE

Post #293074 14th Nov 2014 10:18pm
miggit

United Kingdom 

ironhorse, bud, I already have Bluetooth, Ipod with full steering wheel control, reversing camera, and I still have the original factory setup save the CD changer. I also have a very good satnav which is touch control and has full Traffic backup. I do not however have a TV or a DVD player, yet, I am in possession of a DVT tuner and could add it in to the factory system. But that means more wires, a separate remote control to operate it, and Mono sound. I feel that is too much faffing around for too little return.
I like the new all in one systems, like the Android, and when one presents its' self at the right price, or lady luck smiles on me, i will be investing in one. Not totally sold on the android bit, if I want to smurf the net I can always use the phone. Plus the android unit needs an external, all be it fully integrated with touch, tuner, at extra cost. Where as the same company produce a similar non-android unit, that is DVT on board. Either way they both fit the same and wire the same.

And Steverr, if you want to rip all the factory bits out and wire direct, not a problem, just make sure that you order the extra BMW 6m extension loom (£45), and that will have all that you need. But if your car has DSP, you will have to cut and join all the speaker leads in the boot, and don't expect it to sound the same as the factory set up as you will have lost all the active crossover networks that feed the individual speakers in the car. However I think that Dave1946, might be able to provide you with a few tips on how to improve the sound, he's developing as we speak Thumbs Up
I am trying to find as much as I can about keeping the factory sound processing unit, and hoping to minimize the amount of wiring necessary to achieve this. I wish that I had all the answers in front of me, installation would be simple! But the cold hard fact of reality is you have to work your way through each problem and hope that they don't cause another. Wink Yesterday I couldn't spell Engineer... Today I are one!
Inventor of the 'Guide-o-Matic automatic wheel alignment tool'
Former long term L322 owner, Up/Down graded to a Classic Tractor!

Post #293076 14th Nov 2014 10:27pm
Steverr

Ok I get it now. My problem is I have a dodgy dsp !! So was trying to get that out of the loop !,... So Im gonna have to get a new dsp or the repair from Baris.
Thumbs Up steve

Post #293091 14th Nov 2014 11:54pm
Haylands

England 2014 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

Steve, unless your really into hifi then it sounds great wired in directly missing out the DSP amp, as for harming the speakers.... turning it up too loud would do more harm..... Pete

2002 L322 Vogue 4.4 V8 Epson Green, Ivory over Aspen Interior (Fatty Offroader) Sold
-Click for Project Fatty off roader-

Post #293105 15th Nov 2014 2:08am
magu

United Kingdom 2004 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Santorini Black

I gave in...Very nearly got it working,managed to get cd playing and android unit on at same time but that's where it ended,decided its all gone a bit technical for me so ripped the lot out and used the short lead that came with the unit to do a trial run with everything in the boot and my cut n pasted spaghetti.wiring..worked fine sounds great...However...if you have a 2004 vogue and are intending to do this be prepared to do the following

1 Dremel the hell out of the carrier that held the original head unit...its nothing like the videos on utube

2 Curse a thousand deaths upon the designer of the glovebox and mounting for the cd changer....its a real pain and I have the skinned knuckles and minor blood loss to prove it

3 Be aware that if you have had in the past a phone fitted you'll find all kind of nasties behind the glove box...I found a nokia in car unit and some extremely dodgy looking wiring and a small speaker

4 Buy some of those horrible sharp screw clips.....lots wont take a screw EVER again once you've finished fiddling about

5 Run the 5 m cable from the rear to the front....the suppressor is a pain to feed through tight gaps

6 When you are modifying the head unit carrier be careful putting the dash back on...its possible to block the dvd slot with the dash....cut short and test fit..repeat as required

I've spent 6hrs this afternoon and the glove box isn't back in,the cable isn't run all the way and a shed load of trim is still missing...This really isn't a 5 minute job and for a novice to the 2004 vogue like me its had me going through my swearing vocabulary several times

Post #293202 15th Nov 2014 5:16pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 14 of 36 <123 ... 131415 ... 343536>