Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > In Car Electronics (L322) > 2002-2006 Replacement head unit running Android
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 15 of 36 <123 ... 141516 ... 343536>
Print this entire topic · 
miggit

United Kingdom 

magu, I'm sorry to hear that your having a few clearance Clarence issues, and that you now need a blood transfusion to replace what has been lost, in the process of removing the glovebox. On the bright side of things you will be able to flood fleabay with all the kit you've removed!
I'm lucky in that, although I have a 2004 FFRR, its an early one on a 53 plate, and has a non touch screen! And I think you can see now, why I'm trying to do the job without plumbing it all in to the boot!
Dave1946 might be worth contacting, as I believe he has found away to get the Sub working Thumbs Up . Good luck mate and let us know how it all ends up! Yesterday I couldn't spell Engineer... Today I are one!
Inventor of the 'Guide-o-Matic automatic wheel alignment tool'
Former long term L322 owner, Up/Down graded to a Classic Tractor!

Post #293205 15th Nov 2014 5:40pm
Dave1946

United Kingdom 2002 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Epsom Green

Looking at the facts about the audio.
All the loud speakers in the L322 are passive. That means that they do NOT have a small built in amplifier, and therefor do not require a 12v input. In the original system each of these passive speakers is driven by the big power amplifier at the back; the correct signal for each of the four channels to each corner of the car, and at the frequency appropriate for it's type. So for example, the left hand front door tweeter is only fed high frequencies from the left hand front channel, and so on. All told there are ten different signals coming from the amplifier to ten different speakers, not counting the sub woofers.
I believe that there are other derivatives of the L322 with more speakers, but that's the general idea.
The impediences of the speakers are matched to the output of the amp, and the power is, I think, 50 watts per channel.
The sub woofer boxes contain two speakers, each with two voice coils. Again the big amp supplies four separate signals.
That's very impressive, and one can fully understand the argument for retaining that big power amplifier.
The new android head unit that this thread is all about also has a built in amplifier, so far the same. It also has four channels to supply passive speakers. Once more the same.
But where the original amp is able to sub divide those four channels into frequency ranges appropriate for low mid and high speakers, the new head unit is unable to.
The new head unit has a sub woofer output, but again it is not sub divided.
Pete has worked out that the impediences still match, although the power output per channel is somewhat lower.
So it comes down to two differences :-
The power per channel.
The frequencies for individual speakers.
In order to bring the new head unit's audio up to the original equipments specs then, a) the power needs upping a bit, and b) the frequencies in each of the four channels need sub dividing.
Both of these requirements can be met.
An inline four channel amp will fulfil the first and frequency pass filters will fulfil the second..
Are these requirements necessary though?
To date everyone who has installed one of these new heads has done so with the big power amp removed, with the speakers connected in such a way as to give each 'corner' of the car it's own channel, although without the sub division of frequencies.
The impediences match and the head's amp is supplying the passive speakers with enough power to drive them adequately.
There have been no unfavourable reports about sound quality.
Is there a danger of damaging either the head unit or the speakers doing it this way?
The impediences are not a big mismatch. The speakers can handle the reduced power. The frequency mismatch IS a potential problem and a solution needs persueing.
So how about retaining the big power amp and driving it with the new head unit. What are the problems faced?
It seems to be all about CONTROLiNG the amp. It needs inputs from other of the units in the original System in the form of both normal and bus signals. Take away one unit and the others can't function properly. It seems it's all or nothing.
So far no one seems to have been able to overcome this problem.
Is this a fair analysis of where we are at with the audio side of fitting the new android head unit?
If you are inclined towards removing the big power amp, I 've worked out how to drive all four of the sub woofer voice coils as one channel with an impedience match, which is what the new head unit requires. Connection chart to follow.
If you are trying to keep your big amp I will be very interested in how you get on, and you have my very best wishes; I hope you can crack it.

Post #293258 15th Nov 2014 8:34pm
mjdronfield

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Buckingham Blue

That's roughly where we are I think, but don't get confused about the L322 having passive speakers, the terms active and passive refer to the crossovers. the only reason they don't need 12v is that 12v is fed inside the dsp to the crossover. The theory is the same, but the speakers are further up the wire from the amp that you are familiar with on active systems where the amp and powered crossover are located at the speaker end. The term active refers to a powered crossover, not a powered speaker, speakers are always dumb, if that makes sense.

The issue here appears not to be the active bit, but where the crossovers are. If they were external to the DSP we could still feed 12v to them and feed the signal from the android unit instead. Jobs a good un, but we can't.

If I wanted to upgrade the sound from the android unit, I'd buy 2 way active crossovers for the rear doors and 3 way active crossovers for the front door. That way you will still have an active system, which lessens the load on the amp and would split the frequencies in a more balanced way, though we don't know exactly how the frequencies are split in the dsp.

You mention the impedence matching the android unit, but I'm not so sure without crossovers, as the speaker behaves in strange ways when it is not being fed the frequencies it is designed to. This could present a differing dynamic load. Plus you would effectively be attaching 7 speakers to the front 2 channels. There is no way that is shown in the installation manual for the android unit, I'm pretty sure. That will not present the right load to the amp.

Those that have fitted the unit straight to the speakers and recon the sound quality is good, will have a surprise if they hear one fed properly through the dsp.

What about this ? (Theory 457 part 4!)

If you keep the original screen in the glove box, (to power on amps and keep features etc) I still think you could tap into the tape feed from behind the screen, (to save running new cables to the rear) with the pre amp out feed from the android unit, then move the tape feeds at the bm54 end into those for another source (as you would otherwise have to have a tape in the system to pick it as a source on the screen) and when you select the source the android unit will be heard. Using all the existing kit. 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE 4.4 TDV8

Previous cars :
2003 Range Rover Vogue TD6
1999 Discovery Td5 ES
1995 BMW M5 3.8 6 speed
1992 Range Rover 3.9 Efi Vogue
1992 BMW M5 3.8
1988 BMW 735i SE
1989 Ford Sierra XR4x4 2.9i
1981 Ford Fiesta Supersport

Post #293273 15th Nov 2014 9:27pm
Haylands

England 2014 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

Think that just about sums it up Dave...

Magu, sorry, I never said it was a 5minute job, to do it properly and neatly it is probably a weekends work for someone who hasn't taken an FF apart before.

Take your time, and plenty of pictures, and it is very doable for the average DIY'er Pete

2002 L322 Vogue 4.4 V8 Epson Green, Ivory over Aspen Interior (Fatty Offroader) Sold
-Click for Project Fatty off roader-

Post #293274 15th Nov 2014 9:30pm
Dave1946

United Kingdom 2002 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Epsom Green

This is the connection chart for the sub woofers.
I'm sorry that this one is hand drawn; my youngest son, who is IT employed and who did my last chart on Excel for me, and his wife have just had their first child and so he's being kept busy at present!

I fed the output from the head unit through the usual type of lead to the back, terminating in a male RCA connector.
I then cut off a female RCA socket, with a short length of lead, from an old lead I had and soldered it into the wiring connections as described in the chart.
It's important to be aware that there are four wires where the colours are duplicated, so be careful not to get them confused. They don't go to the same places and so best to cut and attach each cable one at a time into the pairs that are required.
Also note that as they are they are twisted into pairs, but these are NOT the pairs that you now need. I untwisted and straightened each wire as I worked through them.
This wiring connects each of the voice coils in each speaker in series, and the two speakers in parallel giving an impedience of 4 ohms.

Post #293516 16th Nov 2014 6:04pm
mjdronfield

Excellent result.

Thumbs Up

Slowly but surely we will get there....... 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE 4.4 TDV8

Previous cars :
1999 Discovery Td5 ES
1995 BMW M5 3.8 6 speed
1992 BMW M5 3.8
1988 BMW 735i SE

Post #293522 16th Nov 2014 6:23pm
miggit

United Kingdom 

Ummm, if I'm reading that correct, then it would appear that the Sub is an active one! Sweet that's good news for every one! Nice one Dave Thumbs Up Yesterday I couldn't spell Engineer... Today I are one!

Post #293636 16th Nov 2014 11:37pm
hex

United Kingdom 2002 Range Rover HSE Td6 Baltic Blue

all

price is now up in the group buy section Smile

paul

Post #293686 17th Nov 2014 9:29am
hex

ok so after lots of mails
I got this Censored which is about 10 quid off for the head unit and 5m lead Sad

Post #294635 21st Nov 2014 9:30pm
miggit

United Kingdom 

Hi ya Bud, if that price is for 6 units and includes the 6m leads as well as the postage it's not a bad price, they would appear to be giving you the 6m leads for nothing. However if this price is for 6 units and no leads, it a rip off! If it's for 5 units with leads then they aren't giving you much discount. But having dealt with the Chinese, your not exactly placing a large order, they like to work to the container full, and at the very least a pallet full, which will run in to hundreds of units.
What exactly did you order, for them to come up with that price?
5 units with leads at the UK price would be £1522.35, 6 with leads would be £1826.82, and 6 units no leads would be £1562.04.
So at £1484, you are saving between £38 on 5 with leads to £78 on 6 units only, or best case £343 on 6 units with leads, so you have got yourself a saving, but how much depends on what's been ordered Thumbs Up Yesterday I couldn't spell Engineer... Today I are one!

Post #294692 22nd Nov 2014 1:01am
hex

The price is for 5 units and 5 leads so its not that great a deal

Post #294760 22nd Nov 2014 1:11pm
miggit

United Kingdom 

Well £7.60 ea is a saving, but not a great deal, but it is a gallon of fuel Very Happy Yesterday I couldn't spell Engineer... Today I are one!

Post #294782 22nd Nov 2014 5:58pm
mjdronfield

Just a thought for those folk who don't want to lose any functionality by removing the stock screen, you may be able to find an app that still lets you see the data from the car and reset stuff.

I don't have an android device or a non stock head unit, but I did a Google search for bmw iBus android and some interesting results popped up. Just thought those of a techy nature could make use of some of it ? ;

http://forums.centrafuse.com/showthread.ph...C-via-iBus

http://www.bmwconnect.cba.pl

https://github.com/TrentSeed/BMW_E46_Android_RPi_IBUS_Controller

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1004766

http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthre...-interface 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE 4.4 TDV8

Previous cars :
1999 Discovery Td5 ES
1995 BMW M5 3.8 6 speed
1992 BMW M5 3.8
1988 BMW 735i SE

Post #294807 22nd Nov 2014 8:57pm
Haylands

England 2014 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

Mark, Just had a quick look at them, they all go over my head.... now if you would like to play with my system and get it working then you are very welcome.... Bow down Thumbs Up Bow down Thumbs Up Pete

2002 L322 Vogue 4.4 V8 Epson Green, Ivory over Aspen Interior (Fatty Offroader) Sold
-Click for Project Fatty off roader-

Post #294808 22nd Nov 2014 9:15pm
Balki

Australia 

I have a 2002 hse, what is required for me to install one of these units, can i just plug it in to the wiring of my old unit, will it fit into my dash/ consul?

Post #294971 24th Nov 2014 12:38pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 15 of 36 <123 ... 141516 ... 343536>