Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > My Range Rover > Back with another Supercharged
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 19 of 58 <123 ... 181920 ... 565758>
Print this entire topic · 
xjsracer44

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Vogue SE Supercharged Java Black

I too bought replacement wiper arms from Rob at Duckworth, but couldn't get the fitting for the old ones off the spindle, so they are sitting in a box in my garage.

How did you manage to remove the old fitting, any tips?

Post #617088 21st Dec 2021 11:23am
dhallworth

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Autobiography TDV8 Baltic Blue

Is it the aluminium square that's on the spigots that you can't remove?

I used a 2 leg puller on the drivers side one and a 3 leg puller on the one in the middle of the car. I started with the 3 but it wouldn't fit in the cut out in the scuttle panel for the one in front of the driver. They needed quite a bit of force to come off.

The new wiper arms don't require that aluminium piece so it doesn't matter if you damage it.

David. 2002 4.6 Vogue SE - Alveston Red with Lightstone Leather
2007 Range Rover Supercharged in Java Black with Ivory Leather
2012 Range Rover 5.0 SC Autobiography in Indus Silver with Jet/Ivory Interior
2012 Range Rover 4.4 TDV8 Autobiography in Baltic Blue with Sand Interior

Post #617241 22nd Dec 2021 1:11pm
xjsracer44

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Vogue SE Supercharged Java Black

Thanks, it is the aluminium square that won’t come off the spigot as it’s stuck on after 15 years. I will see if I can get hold of a puller, which should hopefully do the trick as I’m nervous of using force so near the windscreen Thumbs Up

Post #617336 23rd Dec 2021 10:27am
dhallworth

Today marks 12 months to the day since the SC turned up on the trailer.

It’s been a long 12 months and at times I’ve wondered why I bothered but overall it’s been a project I’ve enjoyed and it’s something I’d do again Smile I’ve also got a cracking car out of it too so it’s not all bad! Laughing

Here’s to the next 12 months, and with a bit of luck, less maintenance too!

Post #618607 3rd Jan 2022 9:50pm
dhallworth

I set off for Tesco tonight in the SC and had some strange errors in the car. The car warmed up no problem but the heater didn't get warm, it was lethargic to do anything. I checked the coolant level before leaving Tesco and that was fine and when we got back into the car the heater was belting out hot air but the temperature gauge wasn't moving.

Thankfully my IID tool was in the car so I checked what was going on and noticed the coolant temp was at 75 degrees despite the gauge showing cold.

When reading the codes the car was littered with low voltage codes. With the ignition on it was showing 11.5v on the diagnostics app. It's not long since the battery was charged either so I decided enough was enough and went from Tesco to Halfords and bought a battery. They were a tenner cheaper online but I'm impatient and Halfords are superb when it comes to honouring battery warranties so I got one tonight.

The old battery looked scruffy so I guessed it was getting on a bit.

Anyway, in between the torrential rain this evening I managed to get the bonnet into the service position and got the battery changed. Time will tell if it's fixed the problem or not.

Curiosity then got the better of me tonight so I thought I'd have a rummage through the huge piles of service history that the car came with. The battery was replaced early in 2019 so it's nearly 3 years old now so was probably due for changing anyway.

I then made an interesting discovery on a huge invoice in the service history that spans 3 pages... I THINK I've figured out why my front and rear diffs are noisy...

Page 1

Click image to enlarge

Page 2

Click image to enlarge

Page 3

Click image to enlarge

Now, here's the interesting bit...

Click image to enlarge

They list "Front & Rear Diff Oil" and a Quantity of 4. The part number they list is LR00651B.

I did some Googling and found that this oil is a Castrol Syntrans Multivehicle 75w90. According to Island 4x4 and a few of the other parts suppliers list it as Defender Gearbox Oil.

Click image to enlarge

The proper front diff oil for the SC is Castrol SAF-XO Axle Fluid, however, it is a 75w90.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

The proper oil for the SC rear diff is different again, it's got special properties in it for the locking rear diff. So the oil isn't even close to being correct for the rear diff.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

So, I think I've worked out why I've got noises in my drivetrain! Rolling Eyes

Post #619068 7th Jan 2022 2:03am
dhallworth

Been looking into the reason I have a misfire this evening and decided I’d make my own smoke tester out of an empty paint tin and some rubber hose.

I drilled a hole in the bottom of an empty paint tin that was a tight fit on the rubber hose I had and put the rubber pipe into it before taping it around the bottom with some duct tape.

I then drilled a hole in the lid to blow through.

I then attached it to the air intake on the car using a rubber glove with the finger cut off.

I then wedged a breaker bar between the seat and the accelerator pedal to keep the throttle wide open, put a smoke pellet in the paint tin and lit it.

Not gonna lie, I didn’t anticipate the heat that comes off the smoke pellets when they burn so had to rethink the lid of the tin…

This time I used some silicon hose I had sitting around so I could hold the whole thing and blow down that rather then the tin directly…

AND MUCH TO MY SURPRISE IT WORKED!!!

I saw smoke appearing from under the big aluminium air intake so I removed that and attached the rubber glove directly to the throttle body.

I trimmed the end off the pipe and remade it but it was still leaking. I then removed the collet and with a little pick removed the oring to find that it’s now square and rock hard. Unfortunately none of the orings in my generic box in the shed will fit so I’m going to need to try and order one from Land Rover on Monday.

Once I’ve got that leak sorted I’ll get another smoke pellet in the tin and see if there’s anything else visibly leaking afterwards.

Post #623488 12th Feb 2022 11:04pm
dhallworth

Firstly, thanks go out to Diesel Dave who advised me how the front diff is removed once it's been unbolted Smile

This evening, there are almost as many bits of Range Rover strewn around the workshop as there are tools!

I didn't have a 36mm 12 point socket in 1/2" drive and I couldn't find the 1/2 - 34" adapter so I could use my 3/4" socket in the impact gun so I ended up removing the hubs and shafts from both sides as one complete assembly. During these works I'm replacing both diffs, the intermediate bearing on the long driveshaft along with the oil seal, and all 4 wheel bearings as I'm sick of chasing whines so this is sort of the nuclear option I guess... Socket has been ordered this evening so will hopefully see that tomorrow and we can crack on.

Despite this being a 14 year old car, everything has come apart, there's been no sheared bolts, no rounded heads and nothing seized. Not even the 10mm bolts holding the back plate onto the hub or the tiny bolts holding the height sensors to the control arms! Smile

New diff is ready to refit after I've cleaned up the side of the engine as the valve cover gasket is leaking on the NS.

Whilst everything is off I'm going to try to clean up the subframe, apply some rust prevention treatment and then give it a lick of paint. It's only surface rust at the moment but I might as well try and stop it getting any worse. It's actually quite clean under there for a 14 year old car.

Once I've finished work on the drivetrain (which will include a trip to Birmingham to have my rear differential refurbished (by the same company that refurbish them for Land Rover none the less as the first diff to arrive was the wrong one and the 2nd two orders I've placed have been cancelled due to a lack of available parts) I'm going to get the deployable side steps installed finally too.

The Brembo calipers are a bit scruffy looking so am thinking of trying to tidy them up a bit whilst I'm in there. This thing is turning into a labour of love but we're getting there!

Does anyone know what the original Brembo 4 pots from 2007 looked like? Memory tells me they were gloss black with white writing but I can't remember if they said "Brembo" or "Range Rover". I think the earlier cars might have had Brembo on them but I can't be sure.

Post #623631 13th Feb 2022 10:45pm
322BLL

Estonia 

Weren’t they grey with black letters?

Post #624146 19th Feb 2022 10:23am
dhallworth

I looked back through the brochures for the early cars and am fairly certain they were black with white writing.

I'm toying with the idea of doing them grey though.

Post #624155 19th Feb 2022 12:55pm
strongstuff

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Supercharged 4.2 SC V8 Stornoway Grey

dhallworth wrote:

Does anyone know what the original Brembo 4 pots from 2007 looked like? Memory tells me they were gloss black with white writing but I can't remember if they said "Brembo" or "Range Rover". I think the earlier cars might have had Brembo on them but I can't be sure.

David.

Hello David,

From the factory, the grey one (2007 MY) had grey calipers with black "Brembo" and the black one (2006 MY) has glosss black with white "Brembo" on.

Hope that helps.

2008 L322 4.2 V8 SC Stornoway Grey
2006 L322 4.2 V8 SC Java Black

Post #624159 19th Feb 2022 1:25pm
dhallworth

You are indeed correct Very Happy

I just looked at the pics of my last 56 plate Supercharged which had black calipers. Looking back at the pictures of my Dads old 57 plate TDV8, it has grey calipers. Thumbs Up

Post #624206 19th Feb 2022 11:31pm
dhallworth

Everything is now changed and we’re ready to start reassembly. It’s taken forever as the air over hydraulic pump on our press decided it had had enough and packed in so I had to wait 10 days to get the parts to rebuild the press. Thankfully that was a lot cheaper then a new 30 ton press was going to be!

With the new pump the gauge is showing the press is running at 40 tons so there’s not much that will put up a fight these days Smile

The control arms that bolt to the rear of the front hub don’t have a ball joint in them, it’s in the hub so I wire brushed the arms, coated them in Bilt Hamber Hydrate 80 rust treatment and have given them 2 coats of paint. I’ve also replaced the bushes in both arms.

Tonight I’ve wire brushed the bell on both front brake discs to give them a couple of coats of grey paint tomorrow before they’re fitted as well. I’ve left them with 2 coats of Hydrate 80 on them to cure overnight too. There’s a bit of a lip on these but they’re nowhere near the minimum thickness yet and the pads are like new so I’m not replacing these.

Both front hubs now have had new bottom ball joints pressed into them. Just need to tighten the bolts on them but I decimated the T50 socket with the impact gun so the Amazon man is delivering me 2 new ones tomorrow.

Both front hubs now have brand new bearings in them too.

And the dust shields on the front of the hub have been replaced too.

What surprised me with the front hubs is that the back plate that sits behind the brake disc is fitted from the front of the hub so if it corrodes or gets damaged you need to remove the flange from the wheel bearing to replace it. It also makes removing the bearings in the press fiddly too. We got there though 👍

The new diff is fitted in the car, the only job I have left to do now is to clean the aluminium casting that goes on the drivers side of the block with a bearing in it before fitting a new bearing and oil seal.

Reassembly will be finished this weekend Smile The front arm with the ball joint in it is being replaced as you can’t separate the joint, the track rod end is being replaced too, as is the drop link. By the time I’m finished there isn‘t going to be a bush or ball joint on the front of the car that hasn’t been replaced. Everything other then the arm bushes I fitted is Genuine Land Rover. The bushes on their own from LR were £50 each. Lemforder ones were £14 each so with that difference I took a chance on the aftermarket ones. If they don’t last they’re not to bad to change again later, thankfully.

Then, I start the whole process over again on the rear!

Post #625275 3rd Mar 2022 9:43pm
kevinp

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Autobiography TDV8 Santorini Black

Nice work David.
Can I suggest you put a 'flap wheel' in an angle grinder and remove the lip on the discs.
I always do it on any brakes I work on and find a 40 grade abrasive removes the lip quickly.

Post #625290 4th Mar 2022 3:06am
dhallworth

Good point. I'd forgotten about that. Will also make getting the pads out of the calipers easier.

Post #625314 4th Mar 2022 12:50pm
dhallworth

Bit more progress today. New diff fitted and bolted in place.

I then cleaned up the support for the longer driveshaft and installed a new bearing, oil seal and o-ring on that too. That was then bolted back to the side of the block.

I then got everything out of the boxes ready to reassemble.

Only thing I wish I’d done was to clean up the back plates behind the discs and then paint them. Might give it a go before putting the disc back on tomorrow.

I then gave the brake caliper a good clean up with the wire brush and gave it it’s first set of paint. It was in a right mess but will look better when finished.

The minimum thickness for the discs is 27mm, mine are on 29.8mm so plenty of thickness left in the discs but the front pads were knackered so tonight I’ve ordered a set of EBC Greenstuff 4x4 pads for it.

Hopefully I can get the drivers side reassembled tomorrow then it’s just a case of waiting for the pads to finish the front off completely. 2002 4.6 Vogue SE - Alveston Red with Lightstone Leather

Post #625462 5th Mar 2022 9:51pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 19 of 58 <123 ... 181920 ... 565758>