Home > Technical (L322) > Bad Oil Leak and Oil Filter Housing Block Assembly
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
pcourtney

England 2011 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Sumatra Black
Bad Oil Leak and Oil Filter Housing Block Assembly

Interesting TDV8 4.4 2011 car

I replaced the two o rings behind the oil cooler two months ago and I am still topping up oil every month, some months it's over 1 litre, so I have to get to the bottom of this !

I have also replaced the Oil Cooler gaskets and rocker gaskets ( aka valve cover gaskets on both sides of the VCool

Coould the oil filter housing block assembly be the culprit ??

Last edited by pcourtney on 12th Jul 2024 6:21pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #696052 12th Jul 2024 10:45am
kevinp

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Autobiography TDV8 Santorini Black

Is it actually leaking oil or is it just using oil?

Post #696055 12th Jul 2024 11:07am
pcourtney

I have some drops on the driveway, and the smell of oil in the cabin when I pull up to traffic lights etc

Also after a long 200 mile trip to Exeter, I popped the bonnet and could see mist coming from the rear injectors - this is the battery side for RHD cars, a location which is above the secondary turbo, so hope its not the turbo Sad

Am using the correct Low SAPS C1 oil at £6 a litre

PETRONAS Syntium 5000 FJ 5W-30 C1 Fully Synthetic Car Engine Oil

Last edited by pcourtney on 23rd Jul 2024 1:03pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #696059 12th Jul 2024 11:27am
kevinp

Have you done an oil change recently?
I've discovered that the oil filter drain back valve directly under the filter can come off it's locating post.
Worth whipping the oil filter out for a check. That wouldn't explain an external leak though.

Post #696060 12th Jul 2024 11:31am
ReggieMac

United Kingdom 2019 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

Did you replace the oil cooler itself when you did the gasket and 'O' rings? They have a tendency to warp or even crack so replacing the gasket and 'O' rings alone might not fix a leak? _______________________________________________

2019 4.4 V8 Diesel Range Rover Autobiography, Byron Blue

Post #696065 12th Jul 2024 12:14pm
JayGee

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Orkney Grey

Defo check the oil fiter drain off valve and even if it's not off it's locating post the rubber goes hard and stops sealing properly. I removed mine and sealed the hole permenantly which also solved the smoke screen issue with the 2nd turbo. You just have to suck out the standing oil when you change the oil filter which is easy to do when you are using a suction oil extractor. 2012 TDV8 Vogue (L322)

Post #696068 12th Jul 2024 2:10pm
pcourtney

kevinp wrote:
Have you done an oil change recently?
I've discovered that the oil filter drain back valve directly under the filter can come off it's locating post.
Worth whipping the oil filter out for a check. That wouldn't explain an external leak though.

Yes, about a month ago, 2 x 5L of C1

Oil filter removed this morning and checked, all seems and looks sound - thank you for the tip Kevin Smile

Post #696431 18th Jul 2024 10:49am
pcourtney

ReggieMac wrote:
Did you replace the oil cooler itself when you did the gasket and 'O' rings? They have a tendency to warp or even crack so replacing the gasket and 'O' rings alone might not fix a leak?

No did not change "Oil Cooler" , only the two gaskets and 2 little turbo " O Rings " behind the oil cooler

NB the oil cooler was inspected and no signs of cracks or warps, to the naked eye anyways - thx Reggie Smile

Post #696432 18th Jul 2024 10:51am
pcourtney

JayGee wrote:
Defo check the oil fiter drain off valve and even if it's not off it's locating post the rubber goes hard and stops sealing properly. I removed mine and sealed the hole permenantly which also solved the smoke screen issue with the 2nd turbo. You just have to suck out the standing oil when you change the oil filter which is easy to do when you are using a suction oil extractor.

Hi Jaygee, the rubber seemed OK, not super pliable though, so it may well be hardening and not selaing properly, I think it might be worth replacing anyway, do you have the Part Number so I can order one today, thank you Smile

Post #696433 18th Jul 2024 10:54am
pcourtney

Am really struggling to get to the bottom of my excessive oil consumption, nearly 2 litres over 1000 miles, and have a 500 mile round trip to Exeter this weekend, so am concerned, but it must be burning oil, as nothing is dripping on to the driveway after being parked up for 2 days.

I know it's normal for the 4.4 TDV8 to use a little oil, mainly small losses over time from the secondary turbo, plus the usual little bit of gunk running through the charged air system but, over a typical service period of approx 7,000 miles, they only lose about 200ml (which on an engine holding nearly 10 litres of oil is more than acceptable).

They are not known for burning through oil otherwise, more so from leaks, which was where I focused my efforts, so I replaced the rocker cover gaskets both sides, removed the 8 injectors and replaced the seals, replaced both oil cooler gaskets, took off the air intercooler elbow pipe and used 3 large o-rings to get a better seal, this seems to have stopped the misting of oil around that area for now !

Hope its not turbo related ?

Last edited by pcourtney on 23rd Jul 2024 1:06pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #696435 18th Jul 2024 11:03am
kevinp

Have a look at the MAP sensor Pete.
Mine usually has damp crud on it but when my filter valve came off the MAP sensor was soaking wet with oil.
Mine was using oil at the same rate as yours but not used a drop since.
Can you take a photo of your valve?

Post #696448 18th Jul 2024 4:16pm
JayGee

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Orkney Grey

pcourtney wrote:
JayGee wrote:
Defo check the oil fiter drain off valve and even if it's not off it's locating post the rubber goes hard and stops sealing properly. I removed mine and sealed the hole permenantly which also solved the smoke screen issue with the 2nd turbo. You just have to suck out the standing oil when you change the oil filter which is easy to do when you are using a suction oil extractor.

Hi Jaygee, the rubber seemed OK, not super pliable though, so it may well be hardening and not selaing properly, I think it might be worth replacing anyway, do you have the Part Number so I can order one today, thank you Smile
It's not available as a spare part - I just plugged mine with a self tapping screw and some PTFE tape. 2012 TDV8 Vogue (L322)

Post #696452 18th Jul 2024 4:49pm
pcourtney

kevinp wrote:
Have a look at the MAP sensor Pete. Mine usually has damp crud on it but when my filter valve came off the MAP sensor was soaking wet with oil. Mine was using oil at the same rate as yours but not used a drop since. Can you take a photo of your valve?

Will do Kevin, MAP sensor circled in Blue from memory - thanks for the heads up Smile

Post #696459 18th Jul 2024 8:03pm
kevinp

Thumbs Up

Post #696464 18th Jul 2024 9:30pm
pcourtney

@Kevin - well cleaning the MAP sensor with carb cleaner and an old toothbrush has done the trick, no oil loss after having just completed a 500 mile trip, and oil is just above normal, same as it was before I set off, so will now monitor for another 500 miles Smile

NB both readings taken when parked up for over 12 hours on level ground ( so cold oil )

What I can't really figure out is why the TDV8 consumes so much oil when the MAP is clogged up with soot and carbon deposits, and after reading up on Manifold Absolute Pressure sensor article below, I am more informed but none the wiser

https://www.aa1car.com/library/map_sensors.htm

Am going to add the cleaning of the MAP sensor to my monthly list of tasks, it only takes 5 mins Smile

Post #696723 23rd Jul 2024 1:00pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>