Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > In Car Electronics (L405) > DIY Apple CarPlay install L405
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
E500

United Kingdom 
DIY Apple CarPlay install L405

I bought an L405 a few weeks ago and wanted to add CarPlay to it.

I was searching here for some recent information on here about installing CarPlay in a 405 and couldn't find much, so decided to post this as a new thread. Hopefully it helps someone in a similar position.

I wanted to keep my OEM unit so I could retain the OEM cameras, DAB, TV etc interfaces. Plus I like the OEM look in my cars; to each their own but I didn't want an Android-type unit replacing the entire OEM system. So that left me with the Chinese units that tap into the existing setup.

I bought this (note you can get the same thing a bit cheaper off Aliexpress I found out later...): https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0BXDH2D4S

It comes with all the cables you need to fit it. You will also need some trim removal tools (maybe) and a T10 or T20 torx screwdriver (I can't remember but all the screws are the same Very Happy)

There are some videos on YouTube that use similar units and show you the process but it's really very easy. It took me less than an hour and I hadn't pulled a Range Rover dashboard apart before.

Remove the leather trim around the screen by pulling it off. Be careful not to break the clips, but they're quite tough.

Click image to enlarge

Then remove the torx screws for the metal surround (careful it's sharp), remove that, and remove the control panels on each side - these just clip in - unplug them and put them out of the way.

Pop off the silver 'grab handles' either side of the climate unit - these should just pull directly backwards without much force - then pull off the trim panel around the climate unit; again it should just unclip without much fuss. And remove the climate unit.

Click image to enlarge

Now both units can sit out and give you access to the cables.

Click image to enlarge

The hardest part was actually fitting everything back into the dash. What seemed to work well for me was to connect everything up and then tuck the unit right at the top of the dash, behind the OEM screen. I had seen people try to put it behind the climate unit but I couldn't make that fit. You could also put the unit under the glovebox and route the cables into the dash that way... I did this for my USB cable and my wifi antenna, like so, by dropping the glovebox down and feeding the cables through and into the dash.

Click image to enlarge

Assembly is the reverse but check everything works before you button it all up.

Click image to enlarge

And I still have my OEM stuff when I want it.

Click image to enlarge

This unit works by hijacking the OEM nav function. So you do lose that... Oddly I have also lost my 4x4i screen, and my wade sensor! This doesn't really bother me but be aware.

Other than those issues it works really well. It will connect to the phone using wifi so no need to have it plugged in, and the connection is fast when getting into the car. I was worried about GPS signal, as using Google maps on my phone in a phone mount didn't work well with the car's UV windscreen and sunroof etc. However it seems to use the car's GPS for CarPlay as the location is always spot on.

Hope that's useful for someone.

Post #700234 17th Sep 2024 10:47am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1