Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Technical (L405) > 3.0 TDV6 Crankshaft issue
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 3 <123
Print this entire topic · 
cass

United Kingdom 

Shocked
That's both fascinating and worryingly convincing at the same time.
I didn't know I'd become that interested in crankshafts Laughing

Post #655756 5th Feb 2023 11:22pm
fisha

2015 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Aruba

I found it interesting as well … The designers clearly had concerns about the design from the outset. Such a shame it would appear to have tarnished the reputation of the engine, as by all other accounts it’s a good unit and suited to the vehicles it goes in. V8 or else ...

Post #655822 6th Feb 2023 1:46pm
Kot

United Kingdom 

knwatkins wrote:
knwatkins wrote:
The main issue is down the fundamental design of the bottom end to support a transverse mounting arrangement for installation into the Citroën C5, Citroën C6 and Peugeot 407. This leaves the crank web or cheek to contain less mass than what would typically be present in a robust design.

Coincidentally, the following video has been posted by LR Time today. If you skip to around 16 minutes, this is discussed. Worth a watch if anyone is interested.

Great Video Thanks 2018 SE SDV8 4.4 Byron Blue

Post #655898 7th Feb 2023 11:18am
Delict

Slovakia 

Mikey wrote:
JLR wanted the whole engine to be 2" longer due to concerns about the crank

PSA said no, as it then wouldn't fit the transverse cars. Being owned by Ford, JLR had no choice in the matter

Allegedly...

This post has been edited by the site administration team

PSA already had V6 transverse engine, and used it succesfully for years. 3.0i XFU, 211hp ES9J4S with no mechanical problems. There was even an tuning option from carlsson with 233hp.

Please take a look at the crankshaft part nr 0501.J2. The crankshaft is 4x seated in engine block.

The deal between FORD and PSA was this :: PSA gave reliable 1.6, 2.0 and 2.2HDi engines and got unreliable V6, because they never had any V6 diesel.
FORD made it by cutting the bigger AJD V8 diesel, just look at the crankshaft, its the same.

Its nice you want to blame PSA, but no, LR always had problematic engines. Starting with head cracking TD5 and ending with TDV/SDV6.

3.0 HDi ended with Peugeot 407 (2011) and Citroen C5 (2016), and they never exceeded 241hp and 450Nm.

Post #698799 25th Aug 2024 8:01am
Vogue

United Kingdom 

Well I’m on my 4th V8 Diesel - no issues whatsoever with the engine, no oil dilution and no DPF issues at all. We’ve also had several Discovery TD5’s from new - again no issues whatsoever. The only RR engine I have had issues with was the VM diesel fitted to the classics - again bought new and serviced by LR. Other members of the family have had failures with the V6 Diesel - again MD serviced. That’s my experience and I’m on my 17th RR. 2021 L405 Vogue SE 4.4 V8 DIESEL ~ #17

Post #698838 25th Aug 2024 9:28pm
Spridget

United Kingdom 2015 Range Rover Vogue SDV6 Corris Grey

Having owned Landrovers in the past the VM diesel was my first experience of Range Rovers. I was told by my local Indie that they were basically a marine engine and the nearer to the sea bed the better. Seriously though it was a powerful and reasonably quiet engine, when it was running. When I got bored with pieces flying off it and constant challenges I replaced it with a 300 Tdi. Had 4 FFs since but I still look back with affection on the Tdi. 250k miles and never a broken crankshaft.🤔

Post #698845 26th Aug 2024 9:21am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 3 <123