Home > Technical (L322) > Charging Battery without removing everything
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
HUGI

Switzerland 2006 Range Rover Vogue Supercharged Java Black
Charging Battery without removing everything

Hi folks

I have a problem. I drive half of the week just short trips.. And the car is parked outdoors most of the time.
Its a supercharged 2006

And now I had the problem when its so freezing cold,after 7h the battery was too low and I got all kinds of errors. (HDC/EAS/Transmission) engine started and could drive..

Now,my question is,if its possible to charge the battery without removing everything.

My idea is.. to charge the battery around one time a week just to be safe...

Ownersmanual say I should not charge on my one.. The workshop will do that..

Any Ideas?

Phil

Post #34025 27th Oct 2010 5:44pm
Gazellio @ Prestige Cars

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover SE Td6 Zermatt Silver

In my opinion a battery operating correctly would not discharge even in the coldest weather. I leave mine outside all winter down to -10 with no problems starting even using the pre heat for 30 minutes!

Even in Morzine where the lowest temp was -20 at night I left the TDV8 7 nights and it started first turn......

Post #34027 27th Oct 2010 5:52pm
HUGI

Switzerland 2006 Range Rover Vogue Supercharged Java Black

The battery in mine is older. Car was built 2005.

The Car started,that wasnt the problem. The problem were all the lights on the Dash. EAS didnt work. HDC Lowrange etc

Do you know if its covred by the premium warranty (the one after the factory warranty)??

Post #34587 1st Nov 2010 8:55pm
47p2

Scotland 
Re: Charging Battery without removing everything

HUGI wrote:
Hi folks

Now,my question is,if its possible to charge the battery without removing everything.

My idea is.. to charge the battery around one time a week just to be safe...

Any Ideas?

Phil

Phil, you need something like the CTEK XS3600 battery conditioner which can be connected without disconnecting the battery.

I have been using the CTEK for a number of years now on various Mercedes and the Range Rover and they are superb at keeping the battery in peak condition

Post #34590 1st Nov 2010 9:12pm
DeltaC

United Kingdom 2003 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Buckingham Blue

Phil,
I'd consider a new battery if you need to boost it that regularly. If it is past its best and got a weak cell, no amount of trickle charging will keep sufficient life in it.

You don't want to get stranded somewhere with a Range Rover that won't start and continual starting with a weak battery is not good for the starter either.

Post #34593 1st Nov 2010 9:28pm
GJOB

2005 Range Rover Vogue SE Td6 Java Black

Phil,

Batteries have a useful life of around 5 years, when I had my old RR I had similar problems, it would start (just) but the electrics were throwing messages up.

I would recommend getting a new battery as your first point of call and supplement it with a conditioner if it is convenient to use one where you park your car.

Hope that helps
Simon

Post #34603 1st Nov 2010 10:38pm
JustinP

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Vogue SE Supercharged Java Black

Hi,

Following a flat battery on the 2nd day of Range Rover ownership, I jump started the car from my wife’s car and went for a short drive, came home and connected a battery charger without disconnecting anything.

The battery initially took a couple of amps, but quickly dropped to a trickle charge, and by the morning the charger had stopped charging all together so I disconnected it.

The battery charger is nothing special (RAC Battery Charger from Argos) - was I lucky not to do any damage?

I've just come back from a weeks holiday, and was very relieved that the Range Rover started first time having sat at Stansted airport for 8 days, so I think my battery is OK.

Cheers,

Justin

Post #34773 3rd Nov 2010 11:22pm
stan
Site Moderator

Location: a moderate moderated moderator moderating moderately in moderation

United Kingdom 

i think you might have been lucky doing that..the RR has many ecu's and they do take loads of power even when starting up every ecu gets checked with a burst of battery power....i messed with my drls and had to switch the ignition on/off quite a few times and the result was a flat battery ,so with winter coming i wisely invested in the new battery [only £117] ... - .- -.

click link for ,

FORUM WIKI

HOW TO Ǝꓕ∀ꓕOꓤ PICS

workshop manual downloads are in our wiki

Post #34797 4th Nov 2010 9:26am
fisha

2015 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Aruba

I've charged the battery whilst its been in situ loads of times ... there is normally enough space to get the charger into the engine bay, the bonnet closed to the first latch and then the car locked. When the car is awake it draws a lot of power, so best to lock it, let it sleep and let the charger do its business over a decent period of time.

First and foremost though, its worth doing a little checking of voltages to ascertain whether the battery / alternator is all upto scratch. There is no point charging all the time, when you're only prolonging the enevitable of a duff battery or alternator. Easy tests done with a voltmeter. V8 or else ...

Post #34923 4th Nov 2010 11:07pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1