Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Technical (L322) > Front Parking Sensor Fault
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
dan_uk_1984

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Supercharged 4.2 SC V8 Tonga Green
Front Parking Sensor Fault

My front parking sensors seem to not be working. I'm sure it is related to the front end conversion.

I've had everything bar the bumper itself off to check the integrity of the loom and everything "seems" ok, but I couldnt check the two inner ones.

Next weekend's job will be to take the bumper off and trace all the wires/connections unless anyone can come up with any suggestions?

If there are shorts, or a sensor unplugged the PDC system should emit a warning tone. I wonder if the whole loom is unplugged it assumes it's not present?

IMG_4340 by d86cfv, on Flickr 

Last edited by dan_uk_1984 on 17th Oct 2010 10:16pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #32124 17th Oct 2010 8:01pm
DeltaC

United Kingdom 2003 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Buckingham Blue

Dan,
If you walk close to them when they are meant to be operational, you should hear them clicking. If one is faulty, it will be silent. If they are all silent, then as you suggested, I guess it could be the loom.

Post #32129 17th Oct 2010 8:23pm
stevegt

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Autobiography 4.4 V8 Cairns Blue

I have just fixed my front PDC.

I ended up replacing the PDC ECU and then replaced 2 of the sensors themselves.

Initially the front PDC stopped working with no error codes stored or fault indicated. I replaced the ecu (no need for IDS plug in) and the system started working but with one sensor not responding.

You can test the inner sensors by standing by the front wing and reaching over the headlight.

I found one sensor non responsive and one that was intermittent. As mentioned above you can hear a ticking noise from the sensor with the system turn on. All of mine produced a ticking noise despite being faulty.

I did a little extra just to check it was the sensor and not wiring/plug related by swapping the suspect sensors for one I knew worked and narrowed it down further. This does require you to remove and replace the front bumper multiple times. But I can remove and reinstall it now within 20 mins.

If you need to know how to do it then I can post some pictures.

I think that the sensors just degrade over time and don't just fail...

Also before replacing any part ensure that you are buying the correct sensor. There are 3 different types off the top of my head and there are some very good prices on ebay. LR charge about £40 each... 06MY 4.4 V8 Autobiography Cairns Blue with Navy & Parchment Interior

Post #32150 17th Oct 2010 9:17pm
dan_uk_1984

stevegt wrote:
Also before replacing any part ensure that you are buying the correct sensor. There are 3 different types off the top of my head and there are some very good prices on ebay. LR charge about £40 each...

Interesting, as mine has had a facelift conversion could the new sensors be incompatible with the old system/ECU? One would have hoped the conversion company would have checked this, but probably not judging by the bolt stuck in the washer tube rather than taking the time to plumb the headlight washers in!

There is no ticking from the front sensors at all, where as you can definately hear the rear ones ticking, which makes me think they aren't being activated.

I haven't patched into the iBus yet to run Navcoder and the associated PDC Diagnostics and may try to do that one evening this week.

Dan 

Post #32178 17th Oct 2010 10:22pm
stevegt

OK just had a check through MICROCAT and it looks like all previous part numbers for sensors have been superseded and now come under just one part (YDB500370LML) and only come primed and require painting. Luckily LR sell a paint touch up aerosol that included colour and lacquer. I got a very good finish with my Cairns Blue aerosol.

Also the PDC ECU has been replaced by a single part number.

Dan as yours is a 2003 MY yours will probably be the old model (YWC000930) and the new one is YWC000931. The part number is moulded into the plastic housing of the ECU. The ECU is located behind the fuse board in the drivers side boot cubby. To access it you need to remove the bolts securing the fuse board and flip over. Now I believe the the change of part number for the ECU should be due to a switch of supplier but there maybe some differences internally. It sounds to me like the ECU should be replaced first and then further investigation of the sensors if required.

LR Prices inc VAT:

ECU - £95.68
Sensor - £45.72 each
Paint (assumed Java Black) - £7.01

I managed to get a set of 4 brand new sensors off ebay for £48 so I would keep an eye on there 06MY 4.4 V8 Autobiography Cairns Blue with Navy & Parchment Interior

Post #32182 17th Oct 2010 11:16pm
dan_uk_1984

Thanks for that, although if the new sensors wont work with the old ecu, then my concern would be that if I swap to a newer ECU then it won't work with the old rear sensors? Or possibly the rest of the car, from looking at the inputs it takes data from various other ECU's to determine speed/gear/exterior temperature etc.

I think to be certain it is going to be a case of bumper removal, am I correct in thinking it's just the screws along the top of the bumper under the grille? Then one screw in each wheel arch and the whole thing pulls forwards?

Reason I ask is that RAVE doesnt cover the new bumper style...

Dan 

Post #32183 17th Oct 2010 11:21pm
stevegt

There a little bit more to it than that but not much. I'll post a picture in the morning showing you the bolt locations. The new ECU part number should work as that is the only one now available and replaced the older part number within MICROCAT. Ther should be no compatibility issues at all and I really would start with replacing that from my experience... 06MY 4.4 V8 Autobiography Cairns Blue with Navy & Parchment Interior

Post #32184 17th Oct 2010 11:31pm
dan_uk_1984

There is on on eBay at the mo for £55, I might take a punt on it... Thanks for the info and part number. I might just try cleaning the terminals on the existing one tomorrow, or maybe do a cont' check on the sensors from the connector into the ecu. If it's open circuit then it must be cut somehwere. 

Post #32185 17th Oct 2010 11:41pm
stan
Site Moderator

Location: a moderate moderated moderator moderating moderately in moderation

United Kingdom 

DAN, my front sensors weren't working when i brought mine and the dealers mechanic traced the fault to 'chafed' wiring on the nearside sensor , he cut and re-wired and all is well... ... - .- -.

click link for ,

FORUM WIKI

HOW TO Ǝꓕ∀ꓕOꓤ PICS

workshop manual downloads are in our wiki

Post #32192 18th Oct 2010 8:57am
dan_uk_1984

scarey wrote:
DAN, my front sensors weren't working when i brought mine and the dealers mechanic traced the fault to 'chafed' wiring on the nearside sensor , he cut and re-wired and all is well...

Was that someone local? I'm afraid I'm going to drive into something if I dont get this fixed soon, I've not had to use my eyes for the last 2 years, I sure as hell dont want to start now. 

Post #32197 18th Oct 2010 9:13am
stan
Site Moderator

United Kingdom 

it was the dealers relation that does all his bits and pieces and this 'relation' just happens to work at a dealership in reading... ... - .- -.

click link for ,

FORUM WIKI

HOW TO Ǝꓕ∀ꓕOꓤ PICS

Post #32198 18th Oct 2010 9:16am
stevegt

https://files.me.com/stevegt/1t5p1t

Sorry could get the picture loaded correctly so please use the link above to download it instead.

Firstly follow the order in which I have numbered and you shouldn't have much of a problem.

Remove the grille (and temperature sensor from behind badge).

Then remove "chin" trim from lower bumper. Once all 4 bolts (2) & (3) and both screws (4) are removed this pulls down and forwards. Repeat for both sides.

Before removing the 6 big screws that hold the main bumper in place put a large piece of card board or a camping roll mat in front of the car to rest the bumper on.

Remove the 4 large screw from the top of the bumper. (5)

Pop the caps off the two remaining screws (6) and unscrew.

To remove the bumper there a 2 very heavy duty clip that are positioned to the sides just in front of the wheels arch. Flex the arch lining out of the way to see. Gently pull outwards and forward to release. Repeat on both sides. This is a lot easier with 2 people!!

Be careful not to allow the bumper to fall off the main front spar as the cabling isn't long enough to reach the ground. Rest it on you knees and unclip the connectors. Then rest the bumper number plate down on you mat/cardboard.

To replace reverse the above procedure.

The bumper will rest on the main spar without fixings or clips whilst you do any fault finding with the sensors. Also it appears that you don't need to disconnect the battery to swap sensors over as I forgot and got away with it.

When replacing the bumper be sure not to trap any cabling or the washer jet hoses between the bumper and spar. 06MY 4.4 V8 Autobiography Cairns Blue with Navy & Parchment Interior

Post #32217 18th Oct 2010 12:41pm
stan
Site Moderator

United Kingdom 

Click image to enlarge
 ... - .- -.

click link for ,

FORUM WIKI

HOW TO Ǝꓕ∀ꓕOꓤ PICS

Post #32219 18th Oct 2010 12:54pm
stevegt

Thank You!

Embarassed just slightly embarrassed at my technical-not-so-know-how... 06MY 4.4 V8 Autobiography Cairns Blue with Navy & Parchment Interior

Post #32221 18th Oct 2010 12:56pm
stan
Site Moderator

United Kingdom 

you seem to have the mechanical side covered steve.. Thumbs Up ... - .- -.

click link for ,

FORUM WIKI

HOW TO Ǝꓕ∀ꓕOꓤ PICS

Post #32222 18th Oct 2010 12:57pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>