Home > My Range Rover > My £4,600 TD6 Project
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 6 of 9 <123456789>
Print this entire topic · 
docjones

Finland 
Torque converter upgrade

Hello Riverstick,
Can you talk little about how the torque converted upgrade has changed the car or even better, can you take a video of different driving situations with the new setup?
Was there a significant NVH penalty with the new TQ? Do you for example have more vibrations while stopped at lights and idling for example? Does the car seem harsher while accelerating?
I can imagine that the original design has been done with the higher rpm in mind so are the transmission shift points still ok with the new TQ?
-
DJ

Post #318633 19th Mar 2015 12:05pm
Riverstick

Ireland 2015 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Santorini Black

Hi Docjones,

Noise, Vibrations & Harshness are the same as before. The stall speed is 1,500 rpm as I specified when ordering it. The car is a lot more positive in the driving experience....it feels a lot closer to a manual gearbox in its current form.

Because my ABS ECU is on the blink..the car is totally out of sorts...varying speedo, heavy/light steering, various flashing lights on the instrument cluster, constantly flashing ABS light. Therefore, I cannot give a full accurate result on the modifications at this point in time, but I look forward to in the near future.

Cleaned up the engine bay

Not everyones taste, but I do like them,...So quintessentially Range Rover...I added a pair of side steps.

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green  2008 Range Rover TDV8 435,000kms
2015 Range Rover L405 SDV8 Autobiography

2008 Ford Focus1.6 tdci Titanium DPF deleted

Last edited by Riverstick on 19th Mar 2015 11:22pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #318727 19th Mar 2015 11:09pm
Riverstick

Had this for a day....Beautiful car, but not in the same league....Wife and daughter wanted the Range Rover back!

Had this beauty through the workshop...one of the few machines I would get out of my TD6 for

Beautiful V8 400 CDI

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green  2008 Range Rover TDV8 435,000kms

Post #318728 19th Mar 2015 11:09pm
kingpleb

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Bonatti Grey

Did you forget an engine cover at all 😉 FFRR MY06 facelift With TDV8 Alloys Zeros/ATR's
Mantec Sump Guard, Rigid Load liner, MY10 BT upgrade.

Post #318731 19th Mar 2015 11:28pm
Riverstick

Hi King,

Certainly not...Cleanliness comes from within! 2008 Range Rover TDV8 435,000kms

Post #318733 19th Mar 2015 11:40pm
kingpleb

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Bonatti Grey

Just how I feel!

Everytime I work on something on a vehicle that area gets a quick clean and Tidy up Smile FFRR MY06 facelift With TDV8 Alloys Zeros/ATR's
Mantec Sump Guard, Rigid Load liner, MY10 BT upgrade.

Post #318735 19th Mar 2015 11:47pm
33CHINACARS

Australia 2017 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Santorini Black

Following with great interest .

My GM5L40E died last year . Rebuilt but yet to refit. Heavy duty Torque convertor stall lower by 10%. After advice from another forum member on AULRO I didn't use http://www.ateconverters.com.au/index.html

Have fitted full Sonnax valve body kit. As well carbon fiber clutch plates.

I also intend to fit a Bluefin tune when I have some more cash.

Gary

Last edited by 33CHINACARS on 29th Mar 2015 7:22am. Edited 1 time in total

Post #320223 28th Mar 2015 3:51pm
Riverstick

Hi Gary,

I am very happy with ATE's torque converter. Even though it is early days, it is a huge improvement on the stock item that was originally fitted.

I see Bluefin offer a 28 bhp increase after a remap. I feel you would really need at least 60 or 70 bhp to keep up with modern jeeps...especially when towing. I have towed with a Discovery 4 which is over 250bhp and a dream to drive with its paddle shift transmission, and it was a dream....so I would like to get to at least 250 or 260 bhp.

What objection had your forum colleague to ATE's uprated torque converter? 2008 Range Rover TDV8 435,000kms

Post #320224 28th Mar 2015 4:31pm
clemenz

Austria 2006 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Zermatt Silver

33CHINACARS wrote:

Have fitted full Sonnax valve body kit. As well carbon fiber clutch plates.

I also intend to fit a Bluefin tune when I have some moer cash.

Gary

where did you get the carbon fiber clutch plates from?

Post #320236 28th Mar 2015 7:00pm
33CHINACARS

Hi Riverstick . Here's a few Quotes.

"I think it is interesting to note, the repairer here in BNE and our well known member who rebuilds these boxes in SYD (whom I spoken to at length several times) both said exactly the same thing. Failures are 100% pressure related, you can fit the biggest TC in the world and it will chew out because the pressure will drop. The obvious symptom is the TC clutch (so we all blame the TC), it is usually spread throughout the box when it is opened, but the problem was line pressure, even in the early versions that warped the clutch plate – it didn’t warp until it after it was slipping, which was after the pressure dropped. And we are not talking a small drop either. They both were not that interested in the HD converter from Melbourne – “we can fit that if you want, but it isn’t the issue” – sort out (and maintain) the fundamental design issues that affect pressure and they last. Given this bloke was doing all the warranty work for BMW (still is) in SEQ when the 5l40 was becoming famous and they are all still going strong, I tend to think he may know what’s what.

I’ve lost interest in the talk about torque converters, especially after my conversation with the bloke in Melbourne { THIS IS ATE } – his knowledge of 5l40s was nill and his knowledge of TD6 Range Rovers was nill. Apparently the factory TC stalls out at 2500rpm… So none of these cars revved out above 2500 from new."

"as a side note - mr blaster's (melbourne){ ATE } super special heavy duty torque converter is actually your old converter (or an exchange) with a heavier clutch fitted. Which is pretty much what I have... The $absurd goes up if your old converter is Censored . I am sure this is why the 2 repairers were not really interested in it - they already know this, my guy was questioning his features list.... I called, he got very squirmy when I started pushing for details, by this time I had seen the inside of mine"

Quote's from AULRO member Harlie

My torque convertor cost about 1/2 of what ATE was going to charge

So Basically asked some Tech Questions & couldn't answer.

Looked at this kit from Jeremy Fearn

http://www.jeremyjfearn.co.uk/power.htm

But he no long supplies it due to the gearbox not being up to the extra power. That's what he told me a couple of years ago.

Gary

Last edited by 33CHINACARS on 29th Mar 2015 12:03pm. Edited 2 times in total

Post #320294 29th Mar 2015 7:17am
33CHINACARS

Hi clemenz

Carbon fibre clutch plates are form a Holden Commodore here in Australia that also uses a GM 5L40E gearbox.

Gary

Post #320295 29th Mar 2015 7:20am
Riverstick

Hi Gary,

Yes, I do tend to agree with you as regards the oil pressure issues with the GM 5L40e. But I disagree with you about the ATE torque converter. This unit is most certainly not a 'reconditioned' unit. It is head and shoulders ahead of the one I removed...heavier built, heavy to hold, more substantial every way you look at it.

The transmission over haulers I spoke to prior to rebuilding my unit tend to say the GM 5L40e is fundamentally a very sound unit, it is the degradation of the torque converter that takes it out....however low oil pressure supplied to the torque converter is an issue. Later L322s have a lower stall torque converter fitted and this stopped the the excessive slippage issues...thus causing the transmission oil to boil and cause accelerated wear within the torque converter.

These are the reasons why I requested the transmission rebuilder to upgrade and improve the unit, and I also specified a heavier torque converter with a low stall. In fact I failed to find anyone in Europe who would build a torque converter to an improved spec. Suppliers in the US would, provided you sent over the old unit. In fact ATE were the only crowd I could find with an off the shelf unit.....and as a customer I am very happy.

Jeremy Fearn seems to have gone out of business or left the country, as I spent 5 weeks to try and get hold of him and was eventually told by a lady who answered the 'phone, that he had quit and taken up an engineering job in Africa. Sad to see it if that is the case.

I sincerely hope my improvements stand up to the pressure when I turn up the wick on my TD6 2008 Range Rover TDV8 435,000kms

Post #320311 29th Mar 2015 12:00pm
33CHINACARS

Thanks Riverstick

Only passing on what was told to me about the torque convertor. A couple of rebuilders over here weren't interested in fitting ATE unit & that a good standard unit was up to the task.

How is the water / methanol injection going. What size tank did you fit & where. How many tanks per fuel tank.

Also can you post a close up photo of where you mounted you EGT probe . Is this part of the water injection system or stand alone unit. What sort of temperatures have you seen.

Gary

Post #320316 29th Mar 2015 12:25pm
Riverstick

Hi Gary,

The egt probe is part of the Snow Performance kit and is connected to the cabin mounted controller. http://www.snowperformance.net This is one of the main reasons why I bought this kit as it automatically doses the engine with cooling fluid when the power demand is high....especially when towing. I figured this is an easier system to fit as opposed to a larger intercooler and you get the bonus of adding more power by burning Methanol in your engine. I also like seeing my boost pressure and exhaust gas temperatures(egts) when I put my engine under pressure, as this allows you to operate it correctly in extreme conditions plus you can monitor your engines health(turbo,boost pipes,intercooler,vgt operation etc) and diagnose and prevent potential problems before they occur. This comes from experience of operating big Cummins & Caterpilar units many moons ago.

I have a 7 gallon reservoir fitted in the O/S boot area.

1280 degrees F and 18psi (1.2 bar) are the maximum figures I have seen consistently so far. Interestingly, the boost pressure readings on the Snow Performance system are taken from a hose tapped into the inlet manifold and these consistently match the boost pressure readings I get from the live values of my IID tool whilst driving. Although you must take into account the IID tool records absolute pressure whilst the boost gauge is actual pressure above atmospheric.

I mounted the egt probe at the very front of the exhaust manifold, where the egr system take off is mounted. This take off plate unbolts and you can fit the probe on your work bench and remount on the manifold afterwards.
http://thumbs.picclick.com/00/s/MTA2NFgxNj...X5-_57.jpg

Sorry I cannot photograph this for you as it is hidden under the air fiter housing. 2008 Range Rover TDV8 435,000kms

Last edited by Riverstick on 30th Mar 2015 9:02pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #320413 30th Mar 2015 6:50am
33CHINACARS

Thanks for all of that Rivershack

Gary

Post #320529 30th Mar 2015 3:56pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 6 of 9 <123456789>