Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Maintenance & Mods (L322) > Wind noise beware !!!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
max abbi

United Kingdom 
Wind noise beware !!!

We have had trouble with wind noise from the windscreen area of our 2003 RR since we bought it. Well at the weekend we found out the cause. Thanks to a ratchet strap coming loose of a passing lorry and cracking the screen ,we have had the fitters out fitting a new screen. When they removed the outside pillar trims the original screen dropped down a couple of inches !!! It appears the original screen was NEVER bonded ! It had the mastic bead but the screen had not stuck to it! They just lifted the old screen straight off . They said that it was like like that from the factory and was lethal if ever the car had been in an accident. Apparently the screen is a structural part of the car and the curtain airbags use the screen to direct the cushion. I'm amazed at this. There has always been a wind noise and an occasional steaming up of the windows. As a precaution I stripped out the fuse box to check it was ok but on doing this I discovered it full of water and severely corroded, any wonder I had a few electrical gremlins!! So I fitted a brand new fuse box and dried the car out with a dehumidifier. Now it's a quiet as mouse and as dry as bone and all the faults are gone. So it might just be worth a check on your own car!

Post #130072 9th Jul 2012 3:14pm
mjdronfield

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Buckingham Blue

Shocked

Thats scary...........

At least its sorted now...... 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE 4.4 TDV8

Previous cars :
2003 Range Rover Vogue TD6
1999 Discovery Td5 ES
1995 BMW M5 3.8 6 speed
1992 Range Rover 3.9 Efi Vogue
1992 BMW M5 3.8
1988 BMW 735i SE
1989 Ford Sierra XR4x4 2.9i
1981 Ford Fiesta Supersport

Post #130112 9th Jul 2012 6:13pm
Contraband

Scotland 

Are you sure it was the original screen?? Scary thought all the same.. Previously..
Vogue SE TD6
Defender 90 2.4
Defender 110 TD5
Vogue 3.5 EFI

Post #130121 9th Jul 2012 6:52pm
max abbi

United Kingdom 

Very scary, imagine losing a windscreen at 70+ mph, doesn't bear thinking about!

It was the original land rover screen allright as it was a genuine screen(though these are available as replacements) it had the original one bead of sealant (if a screen has been replaced there is always a trace of the primer and sealant visible where it has been removed)

Heres hoping this screen fairs better !

Post #130146 9th Jul 2012 8:25pm
ahebron

New Zealand 
Re: Wind noise beware !!!

max abbi wrote:
........Now it's a quiet as mouse...... it might just be worth a check on your own car!

My FFRR had a pet mouse.
When I opened up the dash all the insulation was in chewed up piles and mouse poo and wee was found.
I do hope its gone Wink

Adrian VW Amarok 2014 Highline auto

Post #130188 10th Jul 2012 8:07am
mjdronfield

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Buckingham Blue

I didn't think Range Rovers of our era supported USB..........

(I do all my own jokes you know !!)

Smile 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE 4.4 TDV8

Previous cars :
2003 Range Rover Vogue TD6
1999 Discovery Td5 ES
1995 BMW M5 3.8 6 speed
1992 Range Rover 3.9 Efi Vogue
1992 BMW M5 3.8
1988 BMW 735i SE
1989 Ford Sierra XR4x4 2.9i
1981 Ford Fiesta Supersport

Post #130191 10th Jul 2012 8:58am
SteveMFr
Site Sponsor

max abbi wrote:
It was the original land rover screen allright as it was a genuine screen(though these are available as replacements) it had the original one bead of sealant (if a screen has been replaced there is always a trace of the primer and sealant visible where it has been removed)

One should never say never, but I have a very hard time imagining that it was a factory installed screen. As you said, the 'genuine screen' does not identify it as ex-factory and having had 2 screen replacements in the past 12 months (one to repair a stone chip that turned into a huge crack with the windshield heater and the second to repair the said heater... Rolling Eyes ) and having used the same glue on boats, car glass, etc I can tell you - it is hard to get it NOT to stick. About the only 2 things you can do is either have a dirty (oily, greasy) surface or allow too long before setting the windshield in place so that the glue has partially cured. And neither of these scenarios is likely on an assembly line yet more than possible by an aftermarket fitter.

Not pleasant either way, tho! 
RRC 2Dr, RRC 4Dr,
P38, and 2 L322s
(wife thinks I'm nuts - prob right, too)

Post #130198 10th Jul 2012 9:40am
Windscreen Dave

United Kingdom 2003 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Alveston Red

I agree with Steve I have changed plenty of these screens and often on RR,s that are under a year the customer specifies that he wants it with the land rover badge so there would be no way of telling that it has had a previous screen in it. One of the main reasons that the glue won't stick to the screen is if the fitter hasn't cleaned the obs band (black bit around outside of glass) properly as during manufacture screens go through a silicone wash and if this is not cleaned off properly the glue won't stick. I also think that during the first few years of ownership this would have been picked up simply due to things like you noticed of wind noise. Still doesn't get away from the fact that there are some bad fitters out there as I suppose with all walks of life. Had a similar situation yesterday on a 3 series BMW i put my suckers on the glass and simply lifted it out without any cutting required customer was horrified. As was I.

Post #130556 11th Jul 2012 6:38pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1