Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > General > Which one to go for, 4.4 V8 petrol, TD6 or TDV8
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 4 1234>
Print this entire topic · 
Restless

Which one to go for, 4.4 V8 petrol, TD6 or TDV8

I've decided to definatly pick a FFRR over a Sport but was thinking about maybe going for an older one instead of a TDV8 now, due to the inevitable depreciation when the new model comes out later in the year.
I've seen a few early 4.4 V8s for good money, including one with 83k and FSH for £8k, and a couple of LPG ones for around the £10k mark, same with a few under 100k miles TD6s.

I'm just undecided wether to spend the extra on a TDV8 at the moment, yes the touch screen nav and re designed interior would be nice but I'm starting to think maybe a V8 might be a better option as I only will be doing 8k or 9k miles a year, plus they don't have the gearbox issues or poor performance of the TD6.

If I found one with LPG it would offer pretty decent economy too but really with the mileage I really am thinking of going for an early petrol as I plan to keep it a couple of years it's not likely to depreciate much further.

Just would like to hear other peoples opinions on which route they would take.

Post #119872 1st May 2012 10:34pm
M44K TS

England 

For the little extra in fuel, the petrol V8 is a nice accompaniment. The TD6's are ok, but can be a little pedestrian, a remap will sort that though, and it will probably be a bit better on juice than the V8, but not a huge difference, don't go expecting 40mpg from one Laughing

I've only driven a 4.4 TDV8 so can't comment on the 3.6, but the later 4.4 is a phenomenal engine. 2006 Mercedes CLS
1991 Retro-style Mini
But really finding it hard to fight the urge for a S/C...

Post #119888 1st May 2012 11:53pm
VMPP

Portugal 2007 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Buckingham Blue

That's a no-brainer...

Tdv8 all the time...

The td6 is slow, the petrol v8 is a guzzler and the tdv8 murders both in every performance item.
The only advantage of the petrol is the smoothness, other than that, not a good choice.
Plus the tdv8 brings the brembo's, 6 speed box, with downshift blips in sport mode, etc... etc...
As soon as the tdv8 came along the petrol v8 was phased out, because there was no point in having an unsellable car. it stayed available just for the americans.

Post #119891 2nd May 2012 1:04am
Bellini

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Supercharged 4.2 SC V8 Zermatt Silver

I drive the 4.4 petrol V8 and really love it.

In an ideal world, a Supercharged or TDV8 would be my choice, but they are a lot more money and, right now, I like having that difference in the bank.

So, as a compromise, the petrol V8 would be my recommendation. Not on performance as the TDV8's are probably as good or, with the 4.4, better. Not on fuel economy, although they're not really any more expensive to run than a Td6 from what I gather. But on a blend of noise, power, torque AND low purchase prices. Si. <This is my name.

I eat rat poison.

A man ain't truly been insulted until he stands buck naked in front of a woman and she didn't even notice. Or care.

Post #119893 2nd May 2012 6:23am
fisha

2015 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Aruba

I have the 4.4 petrol.

Get a tdv8. V8 or else ...

Post #119895 2nd May 2012 6:55am
hollidaysc

England 2006 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Bonatti Grey

When I bought my V8 petrol car last year, the cost differential between petrol and a V8 diesel was approx £10K and all that was available were leggy early ones (I discounted the 6 cyclinder diesel, fantastic in my 2 tonne 5 series, too slow in a 3 tonne FFRR). OK, running a vehicle with an average 18mpg is a little heartstopping, but a V8D will do approx 24mpg so they're not that much more economical and £10k is a good chunk of money to hang onto (or spend on running repairs/servicing).

If I had to go through the process again now, would I chose another petrol ? Probably, on the basis that they are great value for money (but possibly with a certified LPG conversion) and that they are so sublime to drive. 4.4 V8 Petrol - 2010 Coversion

Post #119896 2nd May 2012 7:24am
piecost76

United Kingdom 

I can speak with some recent experience here.

Depends on your budget & what you want!

You can get early 100k+ miles 56 plate TDV8's for c.£17k now

TD6's start at peanuts (£7k! Shocked ) and max out at about £17k

V8's are in the same bracket price wise as TD6's

TDV8 is definately the one to go for although I would not discount a TD6 but you must remember you are not comparing like for like here. Extra 2 cylinders, probably 5+ years newer design. I obviously miss my TDV8 but needs dictated a new kitchen & I do enjoy the TD6 also!

If you're going for a TD6, get one with a new/recon gearbox and Touchscreen nav unless it's v v cheap. Gearboxes cost upwards of £2k to rebuild which is fine if that is factored into the price. As a guide, I bought a 54 plate Touchscreen Vogue with a newly rebuilt gearbox 1 month ago for £10.5k.

Finally, IMHO the pre-TDV8 Vogue seats are much better! Cool

So, what's your budget? Whistle Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

15 MY 110 XS USW

54 FFRR Vogue TD6 Touchscreen - Gone!
56 FFRR TDV8 VSE - Gone!

Post #119899 2nd May 2012 8:25am
JOKER

Scotland 

I've had the TD6 , the SC and now have the TDV8 , me I would go back for the SC .... Twisted Evil

Post #119900 2nd May 2012 8:39am
Gazellio @ Prestige Cars

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover SE Td6 Zermatt Silver

I think your being a bit optimistic re a good TD6.

Dealer prices for a good FSH 2006 Model (facelift) TD6 with <70k are still £18-20k.

Post #119904 2nd May 2012 9:07am
Restless

Thanks for the different views.
I've owned a 4.4 V8 before so know what to expect, I've also driven a TD6 a few times and did find it a bit gutless,plus there is the issue of the gearboxes going bang on them.
I could afford to go for a half decent TDV8 but am just considering now wether it is worth the extra cost as the L405 is soon to come out and the later L322s are likely to depreciate more than the early ones.

The SC is out of the question, I already have a quick car I want a comfortable daily driver, plus for the money they are it would make no sense to pick one over a TDV8.

Post #119909 2nd May 2012 9:47am
TheAllSeeingPie

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Supercharged Supercharged Java Black

I picked a SC as a similar spec TDV8 with same miles / condition was a good 6-8k more. Even doing 20k miles a year a SC will use £2500 more fuel than a TDV8, so it'd take a while to break even (I've assumed 17mpg for SC and 25mpg for TDV8 for mainly motorway chugging).

Post #119910 2nd May 2012 9:58am
Stephen.Gazard

United Kingdom 2018 Range Rover SVAutobiography 5.0 SC V8 Santorini Black

Speaking from experience the 3.6 TDV8 is a great machine ...

I've recently picked up a 57 plate TDV8 having previously run:

a 4.2 Supercharged Sport,
a 4.4 V8 FF
a 4.4 V8 FF LPG

The 4.4 V8 is great but thirsty, if you can find one already LPG it is a great compromise and very cheap to buy ... don't get one converted as you will never see your money back especially on your mileage.

The 3.6 TDv8 sounds good (coming from a SuperCharged with Overfinch exhaust I am not easily pleased) and is definitely the most rounded of engines.

I have had mine remapped and the torque is just mind blowing and it is faster than my old supercharged now ....

For me I would be looking for a post facelift as they look more modern, electrics more reliable, and interior better. Stephen Gazard

Range Rover L405 LWB SVA Overfinch / Bespoke
Maserati GT 2017
Maserati Levante Trofeo
Mercedes SL63 AMG
Mercedes S500L

Post #119914 2nd May 2012 10:39am
mjdronfield

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Buckingham Blue

Well I run a Td6...........had a 3.9 V8 petrol in a RR Classic, and you could go to places, but you'd have to save up to come back !! Never again. Just my 2p.

A mate of mine bought a 2003 4.4 with LPG, and all I'll say is - if you are thinking of the LPG route, buy a 4.4 without it, and have it fitted yourself, by someone you trust, with everything new, and how you like it, with a guarantee etc.......I agree one's cheaper to buy with, but you need to be 100% happy with it.

My mate was never happy with his LPG, - it was working - but he was always "I'd have run the piping here..........I'd have had a bigger tank............the newer systems are better........"

He had it 5 months, and the 2 year old recon gearbox started going bad, (as the ZF gearboxes also bust....). He paid £11.5k for it and sold it for £5k with a gearbox issue.

So like all things, you can get a bad one..........

The 4.4 was smoother and quicker........the Td6 is good, once you are rolling, I quite like it. I have the music on most of the time so never hear the engine.

I drove a new (at the time) 3.6 TdV8 at the Land Rover Experience, and it was a brilliant engine. The price difference is just too much at the moment, for me, and the more you pay, arguably, the more depreciation you may have.

Mark 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE 4.4 TDV8

Previous cars :
2003 Range Rover Vogue TD6
1999 Discovery Td5 ES
1995 BMW M5 3.8 6 speed
1992 Range Rover 3.9 Efi Vogue
1992 BMW M5 3.8
1988 BMW 735i SE
1989 Ford Sierra XR4x4 2.9i
1981 Ford Fiesta Supersport

Post #119915 2nd May 2012 10:42am
Restless

I don't think I would be 100% against a TD6 as long as it had the gearbox done already, the TDV8 is unquestionably a better car and has the benifit of the newer interior too, it's just wether to spend the extra on one or not as I do a fair bit of town driving so not sure if I would really see the benifit of the extra power, I would also like to do some green laning in it too so I wouldn't be as concerned with a cheaper one.
I think buying an earlier one would be the best route, if I could get a V8 that already has an LPG conversion then that would be a bonus, if not I'm sure it really is a buyers market for an early petrol V8 at the moment, and as someone else said its not worth getting converted on the mileage I do per year.
If a TD6 that has already had its gearbox done comes up for sale I won't rule that out either but it will be going to JE Engineering!!.

Post #119920 2nd May 2012 11:32am
mjdronfield

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Buckingham Blue

Mine is going to JE Engineering tomorrow afternoon......

Mark

Very Happy 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE 4.4 TDV8

Previous cars :
2003 Range Rover Vogue TD6
1999 Discovery Td5 ES
1995 BMW M5 3.8 6 speed
1992 Range Rover 3.9 Efi Vogue
1992 BMW M5 3.8
1988 BMW 735i SE
1989 Ford Sierra XR4x4 2.9i
1981 Ford Fiesta Supersport

Post #119921 2nd May 2012 11:37am