Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Technical (L322) > CV boot pliers -pic required
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Happydaze

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Java Black
CV boot pliers -pic required

I'm somewhere near the end of a front outer cv boot replacement on my 2007 tdv8. It's a job that has fought me just about every inch of the way!

I have the GKN replacement boot but my universal cv pliers have neither the profile grip or the strength to squish the tightening mechanism.

I've looked at online pics and most seem to be like mine, but some not, but I'd like to try to eliminate the guesswork out of purchasing and thus the question, does anyone have a pic of cv pliers that are known to be good for the job please?

Chris

Post #701635 6th Oct 2024 2:32pm
Happydaze

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Java Black

Click image to enlarge

I've had a good look around for something to make this work and in doing so I found a new cv kit which I presume the universal pliers work with. I'd forgotten about this kit: it was a leftover from a stepson project. Anyway, looking at the retaining ring / clip in the kit I can see why the universal pliers don't work on the ffrr.... the material is quite literally half as thick!

I decided that something like nail removing pincers but with a ratcheting action would do the trick but I couldn't cobble that together. Couldn't quite get the reach with hydraulic wire terminal crimper and couldn't be arsed making suitable dies as it might not work anyway! Turnedvto vice grips. Hey ho! I was able to get something moving and the clamp is now tight but the crimp is not even and not as severe as that on the original clamp, but it is tight, but tight enough? Hhhmmm!

I'm going to leave it to see what you guys might hopefully come up with before proceeding with reassembly.

Here's a pic of progress!

Chris

Post #701639 6th Oct 2024 3:32pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1