Home > Technical (L322) > " RED" Restrictive Performance
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Print this entire topic · 
Nylands

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Westminster TDV8 Zambezi Silver
" RED" Restrictive Performance

Help anyone please.

I have had the yellow warning on occasion in the 4.4 V8TD 2012 L322 before and which I cleared with the usual 20 minute run at 40mph a couple of times, but today straight in at red and a gap reading of 24.2?? I know others on here have had this sorted using the gap tool but can't find anything on the site search or Wiki listings to help.
From memory an update from the boys in Canada was required. I would appreciate help from anyone who has managed to get these range rovers back in action with "the" tool. At the moment the car can't climb a hill here and short journeys around here are a definite no no from now on! Why no yellow warning I wonder?? Big Cry Big Cry

Thanks

Post #689423 30th Mar 2024 4:55pm
Dolphinboy

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Atacama Sand

where are you located? I did mine with IID tool 3 years ago with a similar reading. I had had RPs on the M4 and yellows but once it just popped straight to red. It was my pax inlet manifold so if yours is original (they strengthened the newer ones) then it may pay to have a HIGH pressure smoke test. can't remember the exact procedure but it required resetting the DPF values IIRC. if close I may be able to pop by and help?

Post #689429 30th Mar 2024 5:51pm
JayGee

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Orkney Grey

Forced regeneration just requires the latest software which you can download yourself from your account page. Check for intake leaks and do a full fault check but Do not reset the DPF. 2012 TDV8 Vogue (L322)

Post #689433 30th Mar 2024 6:23pm
Nylands

Hi Dolphinboy and thanks for your reply. I’m near Cheddar and 1 mile out from it. I have emailed Gap in Canada but it’s Easter and think I will need a program update from them. From memory they need a forced regeneration with the iigap tool unless it’s already there and I didn’t find it. I’ll have a look under the bonnet for a clue but I am no diy engine guy.
Thanks

Post #689434 30th Mar 2024 6:27pm
garyRR

United Kingdom 

I think you should be investigating why you've got a red in the first place.

Considering you have a 4.4 TDV8, it's time to get hunting for one of the well-documented intake leaks.

The red is the symptom, not the cause of a problem.

Have a good look for soot around all of the rubber hoses at the top of the engine bay. The 4x donut hoses, the charge hoses and the throttle body union seal. Also use a T20 screwdriver to unscrew and clean the MAP sensor. How gunked up this is will also give a clue as to the scale of any intake leak. 2015 Range Rover Autobiography 4.4 SDV8

Last edited by garyRR on 30th Mar 2024 6:57pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #689437 30th Mar 2024 6:54pm
Nylands

Thanks JayGee
I'll do the download as you suggest now and will "not" do a DPF reset, which i could have mistakenly tried. it could be as you say in that I did give it a bit of a burst at the beginning of the week. Having read about turbo adjusters sticking when left unused but eased off quickly when I noticed the smoke out of the back ?

First then to get the update. Will it then list the action req'd to force the regeneration and enable the cat to run OK. I understand its not something you want to do too often.

Thanks again

Post #689438 30th Mar 2024 6:55pm
JayGee

Latest software has the forced regen feature but as Gary says you need to thoroughly investigate the cause as a red warning is an indication of a fault and not operator error although I would suggest for future reference that a 20min run at 40mph is way too short a time and slow to allow the car to fully clear the DPF. 2012 TDV8 Vogue (L322)

Post #689442 30th Mar 2024 7:23pm
Nylands

Reply garryRR

Thanks to Garry also

I'LL investigate further as you suggest. I did clean the map sensor a week ago and the pipes connecting seem OK as also the throttle body connection. I put it down to a short burst of revs earlier in the week which is likely to have caused this issue (& some smoke as a result) but have no doubt that the PDF is full.
I've updated the IIGap tool etc. so hopefully no rain tomorrow and being able to have a go at the next steps.

Many thanks to everyone and the Forum making it possible to engage with you folks and share your knowledge Thumbs Up

Yep : A longer run and a bit speed noted. Rolling with laughter

Post #689445 30th Mar 2024 7:36pm
garyRR

United Kingdom 

A short burst indicates a definite boost leak that needs to be found and resolved. 2015 Range Rover Autobiography 4.4 SDV8

Post #689449 30th Mar 2024 8:09pm
Nylands

garyRR

Hi
To explain the "a short burst" comment I was saying that I gave the throttle a push up to 3000 revs thinking it would "free off" any turbo actuators', noticed the smoke at the rear and eased off the pedal. I had restrictive performance for a few more miles until parked up. After returning from a store the car then drove normally but that I think triggered the red warning when I next used the car yesterday.

I've downloaded the latest update to the IID gap tool but is the procedure straight forward and will it produce lots of smoke to annoy any neighbours?

Grateful for any comments as a number of folks on here have managed to free the PDF after the red warnings.

Cheers

Post #689489 31st Mar 2024 11:31am
JayGee

A puff of smoke when the revs go past 2500rpm is normal and nothing to do with the DPF. A forced regen is done while driving and not on the drive so no need to worry about the neighbours. You will need to allow for a good long drive pref on a dual carriageway or motorway. 2012 TDV8 Vogue (L322)

Post #689491 31st Mar 2024 11:34am
JayGee

Just to be clear - is the restrictive performance a red DPF warning symbol?A fault with the 2nd turbo crossover valve can also trigger a general restricted perf warning when going over 2500rpm. 2012 TDV8 Vogue (L322)

Post #689493 31st Mar 2024 11:49am
Nylands

Hi JayGee
I am sorry to confuse anyone.

I have got the "Red restrictive performance" issue with the car running but only just, i.e no real power there for normal use. I had read of others having difficulty in freeing off their turbo actuators due to low use and thought I would do what I did and raised 3000 revs . Silly me but this may have contributed to the "instant red warning"

So I need to get off the country lanes and then setup the gap tool and a mobile phone (Ipad needing wifi) and go from there? Will I get enough power not to be a risk to other road users? OK by careful gear use but the hills around here are a problem as I found yesterday once the red kicked in.

Cheers

Post #689496 31st Mar 2024 12:17pm
Dtech

England 2011 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Santorini Black

Your symptoms sound exactly the same as I had when I first purchased my l322. My vehicle has never had the turbo drain mod, and I think the previous owner had never exceeded 2000 rpm. The result being when I first gave it the beans, there was a massive smoke screen, and I think the DPF became contaminated with unburnt engine oil. This resulted in a red restricted performance triangle, which required a forced regen to sort it.

Post #689502 31st Mar 2024 2:26pm
Nylands

Thanks Dtech for your response and i am now looking at a forced regeneration using the IID gap tool procedure when confident to try it. Obviously I need to keep doing a decent run more frequently.

Cheers

Post #689537 31st Mar 2024 6:07pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>