Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Technical (L322) > Stranded again !
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
TeeMyob

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Westminster TDV8 Zermatt Silver
Stranded again !

Hi,

After spending €900 on a new starter and battery. That and a JLR service whereby they could not find intermittent starting problems. I cannot start my car yet again.

Wife moved it from drive way to road. Got in, just makes a click and dash goes off.

Tried a booster pack
Tried jump leads.

Can’t get drive knob to raise (is there a truck please ).

Fed up

Post #603775 14th Aug 2021 3:18pm
PeteT80

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Santorini Black

Have you checked the battery connections are tight? Could be a lose earth somewhere.

Post #603779 14th Aug 2021 3:46pm
TeeMyob

Hi,

Yes thank you.

Awaiting Edgertons breakdown .

Post #603783 14th Aug 2021 4:33pm
cass

United Kingdom 

The trick to disengage Park is to pull out the cup holders, open the hatch underneath then turn the slotted plastic thing 90 degrees then pull on the red thing to release park.
Try to start the car after releasing and reselecting park a couple of times - it cured my intermittent problem.

Post #603785 14th Aug 2021 4:39pm
Dean_C

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Stornoway Grey

Afraid drive knob won’t raise until started.

There is an emergency park release cable / handle but this is for moving onto recovery truck.

Could try the maxi fuse for starter it’s 400 amps, you’ll need a meter to test it or one of those screwdrivers with a lamp inside it, they usually have an earth lead / clamp on them.

Also Could be a bad earth on engine block, enough to engage solenoid but not good enough to rotate starter.

I used the black jump lead to test when mine was playing up.
Basically black jump lead on negative. - terminal of battery other end of black lead on engine block. Disregard red lead, do not connect it to anything & move it out the way of fan belts etc. This will check the engine ground / negative lead.

I believe the positive lead for the starter goes to the alternator first & then finally onto the starter, so a bad connection there or any corrosion will have the same results.

Went through all this last week with mine. Fitted new battery myself an agm type as mine was dropping to 8.4 while trying to crank & was charged fully the night before. This was £180 just for the battery. After fitting that it won’t crank at all. No solenoid clunk , nothing. Check starter motor relay & fuse all good.
Removed starter, tested with jump leads on the floor off the car, it was completely dead, solenoid wouldn’t even engage.
Ordered new starter £253 denso Dsn 1207 fitted it myself , starts on the button now, turns over a little quicker the usual.

Hope this help.

Post #603788 14th Aug 2021 4:54pm
TeeMyob

Thanks for your replies

Starter motor fitted in Spain 6 weeks ago has failed. I’ve asked him to recover it tomorrow. Bit fed up now.

Post #603789 14th Aug 2021 6:03pm
ffrr14

Australia 2011 Range Rover Autobiography TDV8 Orkney Grey

you are confirming something I am also experiencing. I have a workaround when that happens, press and hold the starter button then depress the brake pedal. See if this works for you.

I have noticed a voltage drop to the starter relay coil on my car. This will prevent the starter solenoid not engaging or engaging properly. Troubleshooting is continuing my end.

SOLD | Tuned MY 2011.5 Range Rover Autobiography 4.4 TDV8 Orkney Grey | e-diff | ACC

New Toy: Unimog U1550L/37
New : G350D

Post #603804 14th Aug 2021 10:22pm
Dean_C

What voltage are you getting on the relay coil?

Post #603843 15th Aug 2021 1:58pm
ffrr14

In fully charged condition @ 11.4~11.5. Interested to see how yours might be doing. Remove starter relay, press start then check voltage in all 4 pins.

My theory is this:

With a weak battery the relay struggles to make contact. Then there is further drain soon as you press the start/stop that 11.5 drops even further.

I striped and cleaned JB-2 yesterday, all the 250A fuses removed and cleaned, now supply to all the breakouts should be good.
Will keep looking. SOLD | Tuned MY 2011.5 Range Rover Autobiography 4.4 TDV8 Orkney Grey | e-diff | ACC

Post #603882 16th Aug 2021 12:04am
Dean_C

It was 12volts or more or less whatever in the battery, same for the coil of the relay.

The solenoid on my starter had problems engaging, there was no clunk. New starter solved this issue.

Try measuring again with a reference form negative on the battery ( I.e. black lead from meter on battery negative)

Post #603940 16th Aug 2021 5:43pm
ffrr14

Thats a reference point for me. Thank you

I am experimenting with the starting sequence, mind sharing your experience?

Push and hold Start Switch > Depress Brake Pedal

This should get more energy into the relay and solid contact at the solenoid, as rest of the systems are ready / booted up

Depress Brake Pedal > Push and hold Start Switch (normal)

There is a delay as the car is booting and starting at the same time

Anyways it would be great to compare SOLD | Tuned MY 2011.5 Range Rover Autobiography 4.4 TDV8 Orkney Grey | e-diff | ACC

Post #603959 16th Aug 2021 10:26pm
ffrr14

Dean_C wrote:
It was 12volts or more or less whatever in the battery, same for the coil of the relay.

The solenoid on my starter had problems engaging, there was no clunk. New starter solved this issue.

Try measuring again with a reference form negative on the battery ( I.e. black lead from meter on battery negative)

Can you share the pin voltage? 1,2,3,5 pls SOLD | Tuned MY 2011.5 Range Rover Autobiography 4.4 TDV8 Orkney Grey | e-diff | ACC

Post #603960 16th Aug 2021 10:29pm
TeeMyob

And again

Post #604915 27th Aug 2021 9:17am
dingg1

2007 Range Rover Vogue SE 4.2 SC V8 Stornoway Grey

But for those rocks you could have pushed it into the sea Twisted Evil

Post #604917 27th Aug 2021 9:31am
GraemeC

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Zermatt Silver

At least you have a nice view....

To keep you entertained whilst you wait for another recovery, let me share a story from my childhood.....

It is perhaps 1990 and we are heading to France on a family holiday, my Dad is driving his new Granada - a company car, that he'd had for about six weeks.

The exit ramp off the ferry in France was quite steep, we're going a bit fast and there is a bit of bump as the front wheels transition to a flat part of the ship.

The Granada cuts out and will not start. We are blocking the exit from the ferry, with maybe 100+ cars still behind us trying to get off......

We get towed to the side of the dock and dumped there. We have no AA cover and no mobile phone, but fortunately my Dad worked 20+ years for Michelin so speaks fantastic French

Being an old school kind of guy, my Dad was handy with the spanners and quickly ascertained the reason the car was not starting was because the fuel pump was not running

Unable to check fuses etc on the dockside, he blags a length of cable and some basic tools from somewhere and proceeds to wire the fuel pump up to the side lights. He turns of the side lights, turns the key and the car starts!

We spend the next two weeks driving around France with the side lights permanently on and probably traveled in excess of 1,000 miles before heading back to the UK!

When we get home my Dad books the Granada into the garage to be fixed. They agree it is the fuel pump and show him the emergency cut off switch in the boot, which simply needed reset after it cut off when bumping down the steep ramp off the ferry Rolling Eyes

My Dad was well miffed - it was probably the first vehicle he had owned with such a device and he simply didn't know to check it!!

Oh how we laughed Mr. Green Mr. Green Mr. Green 2007 Zermatt Silver TDV8 Vogue SE - now sold but was a great car!

Post #604924 27th Aug 2021 10:49am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>