Home > Technical (L322) > L322 2005 td6 Air suspension/abs woes FRONT LEFT
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Slow

United Kingdom 2002 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Adriatic Blue
L322 2005 td6 Air suspension/abs woes FRONT LEFT

HI,

I am having issues with a L322 I got pretty cheap. 4th one in the family and have been able to fix all maner of issues with these cars but this one has my stumped. Its a 2005 L322 td6 with the updated touchscreen sat nav.

If I reset every fault code in the car everything is great other than being obviously not pumped up flat, untill 30-35ish mph. Below that I can drive around endlessly without issue including offroad mode/hooking up trailers and general farm type stuff.

However once I hit the magic speed the air suspension turns it self off, doesnt drop down but just turns off and gives me a error on the dash. This gives me this fault.

Click image to enlarge

I *think* it also gives me this fault in the abs ecu at the same time but cant confirm.

Click image to enlarge

This fault is annoying but as the car never drops/changes height I just ignore it. If I hit a pothole/bump in the road with the front left wheel I get the trio of yellow warning lights for abs/dsc etc come up and stay on till I next turn the car off. This led me to think the abs sensor on that corner is going funky so I replaced it with a new pattern part. Plugged it all in, went to drive it and it kept locking and unlocking that wheel with the abs light flashing like mad at only 3-5 mph or so. Going to try get a known good one out of the other cars without breaking it to test. Last few days it has flickered the fault at me and pulsed the brake pedal when doing low speed turns while braking which is slightly more worrying as its on the old sensor still.

But back to the air suspension fault as the above fixes as soon as you turn the car off.

I have a fault reader + old dealer software on a laptop which I have been able to use to fix all sorts of issues but never seen things like this.

To start with the car in normal driving mode these are the heights/voltages I am getting, ground isnt perfectly level but its not this bad. Also I know front left is down, thats not its leaked down it just always sits at that level.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Then I put it into offroad mode - goes up as fast as any of the others we have.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Only other fault I get is the outside temp sensor is reading -40 and sometimes raises to -20ish flickers about and goes back to -40, tried a new sensor and nothing changed.

Any insight would be greatly welcomed.

Post #535024 21st Nov 2019 4:11pm
Snowy90 L322

United Kingdom 2004 Range Rover HSE Td6 Giverny Green

Just a thought, mine did the same when i had a very slight leak, it seemed the height sensor felt like the wheel was losing traction and triggered the abs light, and mine juddered would happen particularly after speed bumps. My bag eventually failed spectacularly and when replaced all corners were level and the issue went away.

If yours isnt leaking then its probably ben replaced and not recalibrated?

Just incase also when replacing the bag i changed the drop links to the ARB, so if they are shot/knocking that may upset the suspension.

If you can adjust the ride height with your comms tool to make it level with the other front and see if that helps.

Or as you suggested could be a dickie ABS sensor but i think that would show up a specific fault.

Post #535034 21st Nov 2019 5:44pm
Joe90

England 

The voltage on the Front Left should be telling you something!

Issue with the height sensor is my first diagnosis, leaky bag following shortly after. .
Experience is the only genuine knowledge, but as time passes, I have forgotten more than I can remember Wink
Volvo V70 P2 2006 2.4 Petrol 170bhp Estate SE
MG Midget Mk1 1962

Previous: L322 Range Rover TDV8 3.6 2008; L322 Range Rover TD6 3.0 2002; P38A Range Rover V8 1999

Post #535044 21st Nov 2019 7:36pm
Slow

100% none of the bags leak, i have had a leaky bag on a previous one (and a Mercedes).I can leave it in offroad mode for a week without using the car and it doesnt move at all. Tried 3 sensors, new, used spare and known good and all have the exact same voltage/issues.

Is there a common ground for height sensor/abs/temp sensor somewhere? Only because all 3 are wires on the same side which have issues.

Post #535049 21st Nov 2019 8:05pm
Joe90

England 

Quote:
I can leave it in offroad mode for a week without using the car and it doesnt move at all

means nothing Confused .
Experience is the only genuine knowledge, but as time passes, I have forgotten more than I can remember Wink
Volvo V70 P2 2006 2.4 Petrol 170bhp Estate SE
MG Midget Mk1 1962

Previous: L322 Range Rover TDV8 3.6 2008; L322 Range Rover TD6 3.0 2002; P38A Range Rover V8 1999

Post #535063 21st Nov 2019 9:30pm
Slow

Surely the air would leak out if unused. Used to have a Mercedes with a leaky bag which would drop down over a few days.

Post #535068 21st Nov 2019 9:50pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1