Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Maintenance & Mods (L322) > Mass Air Flow Sensor Brand Advice
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Gyre8

England 2006 Range Rover Vogue SE 4.4 V8 Tonga Green
Mass Air Flow Sensor Brand Advice

I have a 'Too Lean on sensor Bank 1 (or similar) error message when I scan with my iCarsoft diagnostic tool. The car does run a bit 'lumpy' on idle occasionally, which is why I ran a scan initially.

As I understand it from reading around on here, one of the causes can be a dirty or faulty Mass Air Flow Sensor. So, I'm going to clean the MAF sensor with some suitable spray stuff tomorrow (Halfords Electrical Contact Cleaner).

If that works, great! If not, I will buy a new MAF Sensor and fit it. Finally, here's my question...

Which brand MAF sensor will work? Would a Denso one be OK? I can pick a Denso one up from Euro Car Parts tomorrow if needed.

I notice some much cheaper ones on 'The Bay', but I understand these are to be avoided.

Any advice gratefully received.

Post #440539 3rd Jun 2017 6:31pm
dolph34

Ireland 2015 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Corris Grey

My experience is with a mates xtrial, they seem to eat mass airflow meters , he got a genuine at Ferrari money and it lasted 6 months , then an eBay one which lasted 6 weeks , a second eBay one has now lasted 8 months at a cost of a 10th of the Nissan one. Reading that back i havent really helped Very Happy 2015 4.4 AB
GSXR 1000 K5
R1 1998

Post #440541 3rd Jun 2017 6:41pm
Dolphinboy

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Atacama Sand

I fitted a Bosch over 2 years ago and no probs. Make sure there isn't a hole/leak anywhere else in the ducting/piping as this could cause the prob too.

Post #440542 3rd Jun 2017 6:58pm
Gyre8

Thanks all. I have decided to just replace the MAF sensor with a new Denso one.

@Dolphinboy. I'm afraid I don't know which hoses to check or where they are located. If the MAF sensor change doesn't work for the 'Too Lean' message, it'll have to go in to my local garage for checking.

On a related note, does anyone know of a simple(ish) diagram labelling the main components of the 4.4L V8 Petrol engine. For instance, what's the mahoosive black box on the left-hand side (RHD Driver's side) as you look under the bonnet?

As you can tell, I'm a first-time RR owner! Very Happy

Post #440574 4th Jun 2017 8:10am
Gyre8

OK, Have replaced the MAF sensor with a new Denso one and this has cured the 'lumpy' idle issue - I cleared the 'too Lean' 0171 code and it hasn't returned (Yet!). The old sensor was covered in dirt on one side.

However, the revs do still fluctuate a bit when idling. I understand it may be worth cleaning the throttle body to see if this helps. I believe it's a job too far for me to attempt, so it's off to the garage for this one.

Does anyone ever get in their L322 of a morning and *not* find something new acting up? Today it's my windscreen washers! I used them few days ago and they were fine - all 4 jets strong and powerful. This morning all four jets are very weak and the washer fluid only just makes it to the bottom of the windscreen.

Have refilled fluid reservoir and checked the jets aren't blocked, which hasn't helped. Anyone have a clue what the issue is please?

P.S. I have recently put a new battery on.

Post #440607 4th Jun 2017 12:37pm
Strider

England 2007 Range Rover Vogue SE 4.2 SC V8 Zermatt Silver

what's the mahoosive black box on the left-hand side (RHD Driver's side) as you look under the bonnet?

Funny, I asked the same quaetion when I got my fatty, apparently its full of electronics and cooling fans. I have not had the cover off to check, leaving well enough alone Rolling Eyes .

Post #440644 4th Jun 2017 7:21pm
Gyre8

Ah. Right. Thank Strider. I too shall leave well alone.

Post #440647 4th Jun 2017 7:55pm
Gyre8

Just to complete this saga - I found that when the new battery was fitted, the washer pipe (which is supposed to be clipped to somewhere by the battery negative terminal with a metal clip) had become unclipped and was getting partially pinched off when the bonnet was closed.

Does anyone know what/where the washer pipe is normally clipped to please?

Post #440719 5th Jun 2017 3:34pm
ebajema

New Zealand 2010 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Galway Green

I had a similar issue with my 4.2 years ago. Changing the MAF and Lambda sensors didn't do anything! Then I updated the motor management ECU and all problems went away! MY 2010 5.0 SC Galway green and sand interior!!
Have the Faultmate MSV2 Extreme to be tinkering with the settings etc. !!

Post #440760 6th Jun 2017 1:33am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1