Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Wheels & Tyres > Tyre Wear front to back..?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Jcsh

France 
Tyre Wear front to back..?

Hi all, I have a set of 2nd hand wheels and tyres with 2 worn more than the others.Ive fitted the more worn to the front axle - but thought I'd check..
So the question is - Which axle wears tyres out more quickly..?
cheers
james

Post #109843 28th Feb 2012 2:25am
ahebron

New Zealand 

Front.
Steering driving and weight loading under cornering.
As a general rule tyre fitters will a pair of new tyres to the front.

Adrian

Post #109844 28th Feb 2012 4:23am
Stephen.125

2011 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Santorini Black

My fronts wore faster but, thanks to Craptinental only on the corners!

Post #109870 28th Feb 2012 10:18am
Mikeyjd

Wales 2003 Range Rover SE Td6 Zambezi Silver

My fronts wear quicker on the outer edge - could be a tracking problem though. No longer FF owner but still interested. Present car Jaguar XE

Previous car Td6 SE

Previous LR- Disco 300TDi Auto

Post #109873 28th Feb 2012 10:37am
EDWARD757

2007 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Java Black

fronts, as mentioned due steering, cornering and braking. lowish wear at rears unless driven like a sports car. I find the RR lends itself to more gentle acceleration...and cornering and braking, etc.... '96 Volkswagen Polo 1.4CL - SOLD
'00 Audi A3 1.8T - SOLD
'97 Lotus Esprit V8 - SOLD
'03 BMW M3 - SOLD
'93 Range Rover 3.9 Vogue SE - SOLD
'92 Peugeot 205 GRD - DIED
'99 BMW 540i Touring - SOLD
'94 Peugeot 405 GDRT - SOLD
'00 Peugeot 406 HDI estate - 63mpg! - SOLD
'08 Range Rover TDV8 Vogue SE - SOLD
'11 Skoda Fabia Greenline II - 94.2mpg!- SOLD
'07 E61 BMW 530d msport touring - SOLD
‘20 Tesla Model 3 SR+
‘20 Tesla Model 3 Performance

Post #109874 28th Feb 2012 10:43am
Jcsh

France 

A range of answers! Smile
Each axle answer appears to have its followers and each logical to a degree, as I have conjectured myself Smile
Could people who have actually identified the wear please comment. Preferably those who have fitted 4 new tyres and logged after a number of 1000's of miles, how much tread is left on the fr compared to the rear.
Sorry, I'm an Engineer, I love all this precision Smile
j

Post #110010 29th Feb 2012 1:51am
wackyjim

Scotland 2011 Range Rover SE TDV8 Santorini Black

Definitely the front...When I put my winter wheels on the summer ones (Pirelli M+S) had 4mm at the rear and the fronts nearly 2mm with edges almost bare!!! Shocked...will need new ones come changeover time Big Cry

Post #110014 29th Feb 2012 8:16am
stan
Site Moderator

Location: a moderate moderated moderator moderating moderately in moderation

United Kingdom 

all the front 'wears' here are from tyres that have a wheel alignment or tyre choice problem...my range and many others dont so the fronts wear down evenly but not as much as the rears....

Post #110017 29th Feb 2012 9:11am
wackyjim

Scotland 2011 Range Rover SE TDV8 Santorini Black

^ Not so sure about that Stan I'm talking about a new car with the original wheels and tyres. I have always been paricular with pressures etc and got the tyrefitter to check alignment and tracking when doing the winter wheel changeover and he said they were spot on. Had similar issues with my Sport which had Conti's fitted and was told by the dealer to expect slightly quicker front wear and in particular rapid edge wear( which apparently is a design characteristic of the Conti's and they have released a statement explaining this)

Post #110026 29th Feb 2012 10:03am
fisha

2015 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Aruba

Of the tyres I've had on mine, the fronts have worn down quicker than the rears when fitting 4 new tyres, especially on the shoulders of the fronts ( both inner and outer shoulders, so I dont think its tracking )

Its a really heavy car and will put a lot of strain on the shoulders if you're cornering at speed - which I do as my main drive is A-roads which have moderate corners on them.

Across all the land rovers I've had, the fronts have worn quicker. I also look at other RR's round me and they show the heavy shoulder wear on the fronts.

Jsch:
Not scientifically measured...
4 new tyres ( Kumho Ecsta STX KL12's ) , after probably about 10k miles ... the centre tread of the fronts were maybe about 20% more worn than the rears, however the shoulder blocks were clearly wearing down to the point where the outer edge of the block was becoming smooth and almost gone. The outer blocks on the rears looked still fresh and well defined.

Swapping the tyres front to rear, and again the fronts worn down quicker to the point all tyres were just about even wear .... although the centre treads on all were much deeper than the outer shoulders.

I do think however, that with that particular tyre, the design of the outer blocks of tread thin out more and are less deep than the centre section.

I ended up replacing the front set of tyres with Kumho Solus KL21 ... and their outer blocks look to have a deeper tread than the KL12's they replace. I've not driven that many miles on them as I swapped all 4 tyres over to big chunky Cooper LTZ's at the moment.

Maybe something to consider is how much of a shoulder will the tyre have that you're going to fit. I do think that the shoulders of the Kumho KL12's wore out before the main tread did. V8 or else ...

Post #110030 29th Feb 2012 10:12am
ahebron

New Zealand 

My comment was due to experience.
On my Disco I fitted 4 new tyres, BFG ATs
I keep my tyres at correct pressures and alignment checked every 6 months.
I do not rotate tyres
Both front wear quicker than rear and the front left wears quicker then the right.

My son cut out the front left tyre on his Suzuki Grand Vitara very quickly as he drives daily over a windy hill with a
very coarse antiskid surface. Couriers hate this road.

I suspect that my FFRR will be harder on tyres as it is heavier and gets driven faster plus our roads are very coarse.

Adrian

Post #110031 29th Feb 2012 10:26am
ebajema

New Zealand 2010 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Galway Green

On mine the fronts were more worn than the rears but also the edges on the fronts were worn a bit more than the rest of the tires. I have had all 4 replaced last week (Nexen Roadian) so will not be able to give any updates for quite some time (I don't do a lot of km's here). Had alignment done of course.

So I would say that fronts seem to go a bit faster than rears.

Road noise is slightly less on these by the way. MY 2010 5.0 SC Galway green and sand interior!!
Have the Faultmate MSV2 Extreme to be tinkering with the settings etc. !!

Post #110034 29th Feb 2012 10:37am
Jcsh

France 

Just as an update: I've found that my rears wear 2x as fast as the fronts. This on 275/55/19 - just ordered 2 new for the front.
cheers for replies Smile

Post #321707 7th Apr 2015 10:37pm
Triarii

United Kingdom 2017 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Corris Grey

Mine is wearing out the outer edges of both fronts (scorpion zeros on 20" wheels).
Is this the usual pattern for a big heavy car like this or can tracking adjustments fix it? 17 MY Corris Grey 4.4 VAB
Silver MB R231 SL350

Post #332317 13th Jun 2015 10:53am
Zirconblue

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Cairns Blue

Hard cornering in any car will accelerate front tyre wear.

Hard acceleration will accelerate rear tyre wear on any 4x4 or RWD car.

Driven sensibly a 4x4 should wear the tyres fairly evenly, the fronts wear 'slightly' more, but nothing like a FWD car wears it's front tyres.

Regarding wheel alignment, it's not enough to just use the basic laser alignment that most tyre places use. These systems are capable of being used for adjusting both front and rear track and some can do castor and camber. But 99% of them simply adjust the front tracking, and many fitters do this unevenly.
It's well worth once a year or so getting a proper computer 4 wheel alignment done. If your car is out a bit on every corner and most cars are (even brand new cars), then getting it all adjusted correctly, will just transform the car. It'll drive better, get better fuel economy and tyre wear will be reduced dramatically.

If the suspension and steering geometry is all over the show, then it wont matter where you put your good tyres. Computer ones also give you a nice before and after print out showing precise measurements for everything, which will appeal to your engineers mind. Very Happy

Post #332326 13th Jun 2015 11:48am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>