Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Technical (L322) > OK What Now....??
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Saint.v8

Location: UK< Surrey - Near the Middle Close to Some Green Bits

United Kingdom 2003 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Adriatic Blue
OK What Now....??

Had the day off today, had to get the Girlfriends Fiat 500 MOT'd, so I gave her a lift to work, she works in the Surrey Hills near Westcott/Gomshall....very nice area and very hilly.

Dropped her off and I needed to get some Surgical tubing to fix the fall away rest on my compound bow so I went to where I remebered a Angling shop was...not there anymore so as I pull out of the car park, the bells and whistles start along with HDC Inactive, Air Susp. Inactive, DSC Inactive and (crap yer pants time) Trans. Failsafe Prog.

Oh feck me thinks, but she is still changing gear smoothly and no jerking at all....and unlike the other messages which cycle between eachother...the Trans message only appears once....hmm maybe it was a glitch.

Anyways, I pull into the Local Tesco, park up and out with the All Comms.....

These are the screenshots.....

ABS Module:

Click image to enlarge

EAS Module:
Click image to enlarge

Engine Module:
Click image to enlarge

Gearbox Module:
Click image to enlarge

Instrument Pack Module:
Click image to enlarge

Transfer Box Module:
Click image to enlarge

Cleared them all down, and make my way to another Tackle shop....no reccurance....happy days.

Pick up what I need from the tackle shop, and decide it is about time I washed the poor thing, so off to the local Hand Car Wash place, cross their palms with silver and she sparkles....still no fault messages.

Head home, and park up....30 minutes later time to get the Fiat 500 out of the garage, so I pull forward and leaving the engine running I get the 500 out, and put the Rangie back in front of the garage again...still no issues....

Get the 500 washed and in for the MOT.....all fine.....

Get home, move the Rangie out of the way again and put the 500 back in the garage...still no issues.

Time to go get the girlfriend again.....

45 minute trip down to Westcott again, and park in her work car park...engine off, radio on.

She jumps in, start engine, pull 3 yards forward....feck me....bells and whistles again.....drive home....

Park up and out with the All Comms....same faults logged as above....

Cleared them all down, one pops back up....the Instrument Pack code for the EBV Function fault.....cleared it again....this time its gone....start engine....no warnings, but the fault code reappears.....I then clear it, and it doesn't reccur again....even after a few on/off's of the engine and ignition etc....hmmmmmm

Knowing the issues with battery voltage I checked the battery....12.53V at rest, engine off, no loads......engine running at 2k rpm, batter yvoltage is at 14.42V so I am assuming the battery level is fine.....

I think my first port of call is to find the ABS ECU and check all the connections thereto.....

I am beginning to think these things throw faults just so you'll pay them some attention.....

Anyone any other clues as to what I can check?? 

Post #168638 29th Jan 2013 10:50pm
Dolphinboy

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Atacama Sand

Saint,

check the inside of the ABS ECU. I had the same prob and it was corrosion in the connection of the ABS unit.

It is very badly designed so that it HOLDS water in the bottom of the connector! this upsets the connection. also check for any corrosion on the connectors inside. I had a teensie weensie bit of green copper crust on one of mine which gave all the symptoms you describe.

As the ABS unit is first in line so to speak if it malfunctions, it sets off all the other ECUs because it cant read the signal.

This is why I don't jet wash mine or do anything inside the engine bay with water!

Post #168687 30th Jan 2013 12:17am
Saint.v8

Many thanks DB....

From what I have read, the ABS ECU is a common culprit...I will take a gander tomox lunchtime and see what I can find!

Many thanks! 

Post #168688 30th Jan 2013 12:20am
Joe90

England 

I wouldn't worry too much about the EBV fault. I have that on mine all the time, also checks out on the IID Tool and the GAP guys say not to worry about it too. I agree with DolphinBoy, problem appears to lie with the ABS. This will set off all the other faults Evil or Very Mad

Could try clearing it with a wheel to wheel ?

Also check battery connections in case one is loose/not connecting properly and causing a break in power which gives the same symptoms. .
Experience is the only genuine knowledge, but as time passes, I have forgotten more than I can remember Wink
Volvo V70 P2 2006 2.4 Petrol 170bhp Estate SE
MG Midget Mk1 1962

Previous: L322 Range Rover TDV8 3.6 2008; L322 Range Rover TD6 3.0 2002; P38A Range Rover V8 1999

Post #168690 30th Jan 2013 12:21am
Saint.v8

Lock to Lock did not reset the warnings...as you say the ABS ECU is looking like the first port of call...I will grab some contact cleaner from stores at work and a tooth brush and take a look see. 

Post #168692 30th Jan 2013 12:25am
IWC1

United Kingdom 2003 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Bonatti Grey

Hello Saint,

Just a thought, but also check that your battery IS managing to hold a good charge, I experienced many of the same faults with my FFRR, and it turned out that after a faulty Alternator replacement, the battery was also tired and although charging was taking place, i.e. a good 14.4-5V was reading whilst the motor was running, over a few days, of sitting parked the battery was dying and the low voltages were activating random faults with no recognisable consistency, so have this checked too. Pretty heart -stopping moment to see the faults 'bong' up!

All the best

Andy

Post #168759 30th Jan 2013 12:10pm
ebajema

New Zealand 2010 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Galway Green

You could also have a battery cell failing (internal short circuit) dropping the voltage momentarily generating the "random" faults. MY 2010 5.0 SC Galway green and sand interior!!
Have the Faultmate MSV2 Extreme to be tinkering with the settings etc. !!

Post #168771 30th Jan 2013 12:53pm
kingpleb

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Bonatti Grey

As above with the driving cycle you have mentioned the battery wouldn't have been topped up enough and could have a faulty cell.

Mine currently refuses to start the car if i run the Park Heat for more than 20minutes without it being plugged into the battery chrager but all other times its been fine, even when left for a week on its own Smile

I'll stick money on the battery and as they are £100 to replace well worth it for a big S5 110ah ECP beast Smile FFRR MY06 facelift With TDV8 Alloys Zeros/ATR's
Mantec Sump Guard, Rigid Load liner, MY10 BT upgrade.

Post #168782 30th Jan 2013 1:15pm
cliffy

2004 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Zambezi Silver

I hate the Transfail safe mode message Big Cry

Ur problems sounds voltage related

Post #168786 30th Jan 2013 1:34pm
Saint.v8

Thanks for all your replies.

Battery is strong, and she can stand for a couple of weeks and she will still spin over quickly and fire within a second of flicking the key.

That days journeys are not typical of my usual day...I had a day off and was pottering around.

Usual journey is an hour to work and an hour back at motorway speeds and A roads.

The batery is recent (6 months) and has never failed, even with the minus temperatures we have had recently...the Rangie still bursts into life within a second of the key turning.

No issues today on the hour journey in, nor at around 10.30 when I went out to check it.... 

Post #168789 30th Jan 2013 1:41pm
Havank

United Kingdom 2003 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Java Black

I think its moisture related. the car cannot stand moisture

Post #168794 30th Jan 2013 2:14pm
Saint.v8

So....lunch time came and went, I made the trip to the car park - 10 minute walk from the office!

Here is the ABS ECU mounted on the side of the modulator...

Click image to enlarge

To remove the wiring plug, get a flat blade screw driver and carefully lever the locking slide, the plug will move upwards by approx 3-4mm during this process....
Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Underside of plug...
Click image to enlarge

ECU Connection Pins....
Click image to enlarge

As can be seen, annoyingly they all look very clean....so a quick squirt of contact cleaner in anycase, and reassembled....

Will see what happens over the next few days.

If it happens again, I am wondering if it could be temperature related...as it gets warm where it is next to the LPG Vapouriser which is plumbed into the Engine Coolant at 105degC and just above the L/H bank.....hmmmmm. 

Post #168809 30th Jan 2013 3:49pm
cliffy

2004 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Zambezi Silver

dude hate to p*ss on ur theory my setup is in the same location as urs and i havent had them issues

Post #168812 30th Jan 2013 3:52pm
Saint.v8

Clutching at straws then...!! Very Happy

Will see what transpires over the next few days....it could have just been having a hissy fit as these cars love to do!! 

Post #168820 30th Jan 2013 4:03pm
kingpleb

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Bonatti Grey

Is it the outflow or inflow from the vaporiser that runs underneath it?

TBH the heat shouldn't affect it like that but you could always stick some insulation between them Smile FFRR MY06 facelift With TDV8 Alloys Zeros/ATR's
Mantec Sump Guard, Rigid Load liner, MY10 BT upgrade.

Post #168825 30th Jan 2013 4:11pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>