Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Technical (L322) > Gearchange / ECU Update
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
rayc

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Rimini Red
Gearchange / ECU Update

Can anyone advise if there were any gearbox ECU reflashes on a TD6 for slow gear changes.

The reason for my question (I thought I'd sorted but I didn't) is the the 04 TD6 sometimes revs to 3000 plus rpm before it changes gear. Torque lock up if you are very very light on the accelerator go's in straight away. However, if you use more than approx 1" of throttle travel the car drives like it's in sports mode and the converter only locks up when you lift your foot on the throttle to a very light setting again.
Gearbox oil has been changed (It was like it before) and was clean. Car has 79k miles. Gearchanges are smooth. Sometimes if you use more than light throttle the box wont go into top or lock up until well over 70mph!
Towing on a slope holds it in the lower gears to over 3500 rpm! Sometimes on the flat too!

Maybe it's a normal characteristic? My friends 02 is much quicker at locking up the torque converter and changes at approx 2000 rpm.

I cant compare with the TDV8 as it's a totally different gearbox etc but again, it does change much lower in the rev range.

I had the adaptions reset at it's last service but made little difference.

Cheers Thumbs Up 08 model TDV8 Vogue SE Rimini Red/ parchment. 04 TD6 Vogue Oslo Blue / parchment
99 Model 2.5 DSE Rioja Red / lightstone
97 BMW M3 Evo Convertible
plus a few more!

Post #91989 13th Nov 2011 8:53pm
RRPhil

United Kingdom 

Do you not think that it's more likely the transmission ECU is selecting its 'cooling strategy' mode because the fluid is overheating, or are the symptoms the same when it's cold?

Phil

Post #91997 13th Nov 2011 9:16pm
rayc

Hi Phil,

I would say slightly worse when hot. I put an omiscan on the car and gearbox temp was 79 centigrade.

I would say the ECU was driving as though the box was cold and holding the shifts (If that makes sense).

My old Pajero holds the car in 3rd until the temp sensor picks up a warm engine signal from the sensor and then engages 4th.

I assume the TG6 has a similar, more complex obviously, to hold the gears for longer when the box is cold.

I feel it is a signal issue as the box itself seems fine in all functions.

I'm having a second oil change / flush done this week. But, again, not convinced the problem is the oil. Question 08 model TDV8 Vogue SE Rimini Red/ parchment. 04 TD6 Vogue Oslo Blue / parchment
plus a few more!

Post #92000 13th Nov 2011 9:23pm
RRPhil

United Kingdom 

Yes, ‘engine warm-up’ mode uses the same shift map as ‘sport’ mode but should only be selected automatically by the transmission ECU if the transmission fluid or engine coolant temperatures are below 60 deg. C

In addition the ECU should revert to ‘normal’ mode as soon as the car exceeds 37mph or after 3 minutes of running.

Strange….

Phil

Post #92063 14th Nov 2011 11:42am
rayc

Hi Phil,

Thanks for that information.

Would you know if it's possible to check that function or whether a reflash of the gearbox ECU would sort it?

I'm thinking the temp sensor must be ok as it's reading the box temp on the omiscan.

Otherwise I assume it will require a new EAT ECU?

I was reading up on whether a brake switch could cause the issue but am now thinking it could also be an earth?

Bow down 08 model TDV8 Vogue SE Rimini Red/ parchment. 04 TD6 Vogue Oslo Blue / parchment
plus a few more!

Post #92072 14th Nov 2011 12:15pm
stan
Site Moderator

Location: a moderate moderated moderator moderating moderately in moderation

United Kingdom 

at a tangent, but is a diy user reset of the gearbox ecu possible.. ... - .- -.

click link for ,

FORUM WIKI

HOW TO Ǝꓕ∀ꓕOꓤ PICS

workshop manual downloads are in our wiki

Post #92075 14th Nov 2011 12:17pm
rayc

My Omiscan is supposed to do it but I cant find the function. I'm waiting for their rechnical support to advise

I had the adaptions reset at the last service though Thumbs Up 08 model TDV8 Vogue SE Rimini Red/ parchment. 04 TD6 Vogue Oslo Blue / parchment
plus a few more!

Post #92078 14th Nov 2011 12:29pm
RRPhil

United Kingdom 

According to Blackbox Solutions it’s possible to reset the learned adaptions stored by the TD6 transmission ECU using their kit - but that doesn’t apply for the 4.4 V8.

Click image to enlarge

So, essentially, your transmission is behaving as if it were stuck permanently in ‘sport’ mode? Can you perceive any difference in the shift map when you switch between ‘normal’ and ‘sport’ ?

Phil

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green

Post #92122 14th Nov 2011 4:34pm
BigJ

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Stornoway Grey

Have you checked your gear selector is actually putting the car in the correct mode and does that correspond with the screen readings? Used to have:
2005 FFRR 4.4 Vogue - BRC LPG Conversion & Remapped

Now have:
2008 SSRR 3.6 TDV8 - HSE and plenty of toys

Post #92125 14th Nov 2011 4:37pm
rayc

Hi Phil,

In anser (Just went and tried it). Yes there is a difference in shift patterns when in Sport mode.

I have found a thread on ladrover forum. Same problem, which says basically what you are saying and that the bottom of the rads silt up thus preventing the trans oil from cooling effectively and putting the car into emergency (sport style) mode to keep the oil flowing faster and not overheating. This can effectively only be cured by changing the rad. This would make sense and TB00080 seems to verify the problem.

It's going in tomorrow for another flush and the rad to be investigated. Thumbs Up 08 model TDV8 Vogue SE Rimini Red/ parchment. 04 TD6 Vogue Oslo Blue / parchment
plus a few more!

Post #92173 14th Nov 2011 6:45pm
rayc

Hi BigJ

Yes, Have checked that one too thanks Thumbs Up 08 model TDV8 Vogue SE Rimini Red/ parchment. 04 TD6 Vogue Oslo Blue / parchment
plus a few more!

Post #92174 14th Nov 2011 6:58pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1