Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Off Topic > Advice about LR Defender
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
PJS

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Zermatt Silver
Advice about LR Defender

So I'm currently selling my Vogue, and looking, at the moment, to buy an Audi.

I'm getting back in to the hobby of shooting (pigeon, rats, etc) and I've been thinking about buying a Defender for carrying the gun, passengers and 2 dogs in the back, as well as the game thats been shot.

Any idea what I should be buying? I've seen different sized engines, different spec, but just need pointing in the right direction.

Gotta be the 5 seat version with windows in the back (double-cab) and have boot space, and I'd prefer it to not be the 7-seater.

Un-sure of a budget at the moment. Was thinking around £20,000 but having second thoughts as its only a second car and maybe a £5000 Defender would do the same. Probably spend around £10,000.

All feedback appreciated Smile

Post #81993 17th Sep 2011 1:00pm
Pauld

United Kingdom 2004 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Zermatt Silver

110 Double cab with a top for the Pick up.

TD5 engine. If that does not give enough power it is easy to remap.

Post #81999 17th Sep 2011 1:22pm
stan
Site Moderator

Location: a moderate moderated moderator moderating moderately in moderation

United Kingdom 

have you browsed the defender2 forum .. ... - .- -.

click link for ,

FORUM WIKI

HOW TO Ǝꓕ∀ꓕOꓤ PICS

workshop manual downloads are in our wiki

Post #82005 17th Sep 2011 2:57pm
PJS

Will have a look on the Defender forum, just thought id ask here first Very Happy

Post #82184 18th Sep 2011 2:14pm
Tim in Scotland

Location: Somewhere between here and there, if not then I'm all at sea or at home in Scotland

2010 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Stornoway Grey

If you can find a decent one a TDi300 or 200 is just as good as a TD5 BUT it doesn't have such luxuries as ETC/ABS/A.C. to go wrong or spoil the fun! I have a 1996 TDi300 converted from a County Hard Top into a County Stationwagon that doesn't have the CSW fold up seats, mine has side benches. It cost me £10k in 2002 when it was 6 years old with 54000 miles on it. It now has 77900 miles on it, purrs along,has never broken down, leaks in the rain, is uncomfortable on long trips, has hopeless heating, a sunroof that drips condensation down the back of your neck on frosty mornings and I wouldn't give it up for anything!

I would budget on spending between £6000 and £8000 but be very careful buying - there is a lot of overpriced high miles tat out there. I have been advised that should I sell I will get in the region of £6500 for mine - bodywork is fair as it has been heavily off-roaded, it had a new galvanised chassis fitted in 2007 (£4000 pounds along with a full overhaul of the brakes and suspension, engine overhaul and MOT at the same time). It's Epsom Green with a lot of bramble rash.................. and great fun but hopelessly impractical in 90 form as the load bay is tiny. If you need to carry loads then a 110 is the way to go and you may even pay less for one than you would for a 90. 2018 Mini Countryman Cooper S E All4 PHEV in Melting Silver - it’s whisper quiet in EV and polluter modes

Post #82201 18th Sep 2011 3:41pm
PJS

Tim in Scotland wrote:
If you can find a decent one a TDi300 or 200 is just as good as a TD5 BUT it doesn't have such luxuries as ETC/ABS/A.C. to go wrong or spoil the fun! I have a 1996 TDi300 converted from a County Hard Top into a County Stationwagon that doesn't have the CSW fold up seats, mine has side benches. It cost me £10k in 2002 when it was 6 years old with 54000 miles on it. It now has 77900 miles on it, purrs along,has never broken down, leaks in the rain, is uncomfortable on long trips, has hopeless heating, a sunroof that drips condensation down the back of your neck on frosty mornings and I wouldn't give it up for anything!

I would budget on spending between £6000 and £8000 but be very careful buying - there is a lot of overpriced high miles tat out there. I have been advised that should I sell I will get in the region of £6500 for mine - bodywork is fair as it has been heavily off-roaded, it had a new galvanised chassis fitted in 2007 (£4000 pounds along with a full overhaul of the brakes and suspension, engine overhaul and MOT at the same time). It's Epsom Green with a lot of bramble rash.................. and great fun but hopelessly impractical in 90 form as the load bay is tiny. If you need to carry loads then a 110 is the way to go and you may even pay less for one than you would for a 90.

Thanks Tim, much appreciated. Was looking at some 110's and I think that would probably be the better option.

How do you find the fuel consumption? Mid 20's?

Post #82210 18th Sep 2011 4:34pm
Tim in Scotland

Location: Somewhere between here and there, if not then I'm all at sea or at home in Scotland

2010 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Stornoway Grey

My Tdi300 gives between 25 and 28mpg on road if I don't try to hurry it, I run it all the time on BFG Mud Terrains so probably loose something because of them. I have a set of BFG A/T's but haven't used them for about 3 years and don't remember what I was getting on them, not much better if any better! The Tdi300 will cruise happily at 60-65 all day, it can get up to about 80 but on MT's it isn't nice and I have no ABS either so generally the Defender way is nice and easy does it, sit back and enjoy the engine and wind noise, coz you won't hear the radio too well above 60 anyway! 2018 Mini Countryman Cooper S E All4 PHEV in Melting Silver - it’s whisper quiet in EV and polluter modes

Post #82270 18th Sep 2011 8:53pm
TugRR

United Kingdom 

I ran a 110 TDCi last year for six months - bloody good motor. It sounds like you're going for a less expensive vehicle, though. I'd go for 300 Tdi (NO ELECTRONICS) - but be careful - there's a hell of alot of ringers out there.
Drop me a PM if you need some advice on identification Thumbs Up Where do you go after one of these . . . ?

Post #82337 19th Sep 2011 11:34am
nbunney

United Kingdom 

Pauld wrote:
110 Double cab with a top for the Pick up.

TD5 engine. If that does not give enough power it is easy to remap.

Just like the 53 plate 1 I'm selling Whistle

Post #82338 19th Sep 2011 11:36am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1