Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > General > Winter Weather 2011/2012 be prepared...
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Print this entire topic · 
pretlove

United Kingdom 2003 Range Rover HSE 4.4 V8 Zambezi Silver

yes id say "RANGEISM WILL NOT BE TOLERATED"
www.futuresecurityservices.co.uk
Pretlove says , '' I want my car back Sad "

Post #73253 21st Jul 2011 3:10pm
mzplcg

United Kingdom 2014 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Corris Grey

So which tyres then? MTR or Vred Wintracs ???

Oh, gotta complete my set of 19" rims first. 2 down, 3 to go.

Post #73263 21st Jul 2011 4:46pm
Gazellio @ Prestige Cars

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover SE Td6 Zermatt Silver

Vreds for grip in ICE as well as Snow & Mud Thumbs Up

Post #73266 21st Jul 2011 5:16pm
TugRR

United Kingdom 

Our FF was fab in the deep stuff (unlike the TDCi 110 the previous winter . . . ), but so was Thunderbird 2 :

Fiat Panda diesel (2wd), with 10 psi in the front tyres ! Laughing Where do you go after one of these . . . ?

Post #73267 21st Jul 2011 5:30pm
KurtVerbose

Switzerland 2007 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Stornoway Grey

scarey wrote:
now there's a question...will a range go through snow better with snow tyres or will normal road tyres be equally as good..logic says yes but is it mostly down to the 4x4 drive..

Logic says yes, but it's mostly down to the tyres. Winter tyres have something like 3 times the grip of summer tyres on snow. Do the maths. Laughing

Fox wrote:
So in summary, if I had the choice of 4x4 and road tyres or 2WD and snow tyres. I'd have the 2WD thanks.

It was a shock to me when I found out too, as I thought my RangeRover was much better than all these silly little 2WD cars in winter. Tyres are what's most important on an icy road.

Couldn't have put it better myself. In switzerland winter tyres are obligatory and the people you see sliding around are usually Brits in 4x4's (including RR's) on the wrong tyres. They look embarrassing.

pretlove wrote:
i remember last time we had the heavy snow my bmw wouldn't even move so had to use the wifes maverick which was surprisingly good and yes it did have snow tyres.... Thumbs Up

I had a RWD BMW, went skiing in it loads - over 5 winters. Hardly ever had a problem, and then only with deep snow and sheet ice.

Oh, and I also drove my mid engined, rwd VX220 Turbo last winter - on snow tyres. It was fine.

...apart from the cold that is. Heater doesn't work. Laughing

Post #73268 21st Jul 2011 5:37pm
Fox

United Kingdom 

mzplcg wrote:
So which tyres then? MTR or Vred Wintracs ???

Oh, gotta complete my set of 19" rims first. 2 down, 3 to go.

MTR are not winter tyres, they are offroading/all terrain tyres really.
So definately Vreds or anything with the snowflake symbol on the sidewall to show it's a proper winter tyre. Thumbs Up

Post #73271 21st Jul 2011 5:56pm
Rolo

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Orkney Grey

something like these babies !

Click image to enlarge

or even better !

Post #73272 21st Jul 2011 6:04pm
GregP

United Kingdom 2002 Range Rover HSE Td6 Adriatic Blue

Let's not forget the most important thing when driving in winter conditions is driving well. Last winter I saw a guy in a van with snow chains on so it appeared he was having no problems. However he was driving far to quickly and I was not suprised to see him in the hedge half a mile up the road after he went speeding past me.
In light to moderate snow fall a FFRR should have no problems on road tyres as long as you drive sensible. That said I live in Devon and by the coast so I doubt we'll get any more than a few inches.
If I lived in the highlands of Scotland I'd prob invest in some snow tyres. Thumbs Up FFRR TD6 HSE
Adriatic Blue with Parchment leather.

Post #73275 21st Jul 2011 6:32pm
M44K TS

England 

I'm already looking for winter tyres in Merc. CLS sizes Laughing

I had so much fun in the snow in mine with the MTR tyres, they were crap on ice, but fantastic in the snow I was ploughing through a good foot of snow to pull my mates E30 BMW when it got stuck.

I'll have to persuade my dad to buy a Disco 3 for when the snow comes Cool 2006 Mercedes CLS
1991 Retro-style Mini
But really finding it hard to fight the urge for a S/C...

Post #73276 21st Jul 2011 6:34pm
KurtVerbose

GregP wrote:
In light to moderate snow fall a FFRR should have no problems on road tyres as long as you drive sensible. That said I live in Devon and by the coast so I doubt we'll get any more than a few inches.
If I lived in the highlands of Scotland I'd prob invest in some snow tyres. Thumbs Up

Winter tyres are not snow tyres, they're for colder temperatures. Anything below 7°C and you're better off on winter tyres. On snow they are much better than summer tyres.

Post #73277 21st Jul 2011 6:43pm
pretlove

United Kingdom 2003 Range Rover HSE 4.4 V8 Zambezi Silver

@ kurt im sure your bmw gripped well but there was no way i was spending money on winter tyres when i knew deep down the snow wouldnt last that long ....once i got her out of my turning all was fine but getting her out of my road with thick ice was near on impossible and im pretty sure the tyres wouldnt have made a dam bit of differance ...it wasnt the snow that was a problem as i had grip there just the thick ice and tyhe fact it was rwd "RANGEISM WILL NOT BE TOLERATED"
www.futuresecurityservices.co.uk
Pretlove says , '' I want my car back Sad "

Post #73278 21st Jul 2011 7:04pm
Gazellio @ Prestige Cars

KurtVerbose wrote:
GregP wrote:
If I lived in the highlands of Scotland I'd prob invest in some snow tyres. Thumbs Up

Winter tyres are not snow tyres, they're for colder temperatures. Anything below 7°C and you're better off on winter tyres. On snow they are much better than summer tyres.

Winter Tyres are much Softer and include a Silica Compound that enables them to grip the icy surface better than hard cold slippery summer tyres.

The use of silica can also improve wet skid performance. By incorporating silica in their winter tyre range, Vredestein claim to have improved wet skid performance by as much as 15%, substantially improving braking distances at the same time.

Silica provides substantial benefits in winter tyres and all-season tyres. Compounds using silica are more elastic and flexible at lower temperatures allowing better grip and braking during wintry weather.

If you plan to travel with family in seriously wintry conditions then get a set of Vredesteins before they sell out as they normally do mid winter....

Last edited by Gazellio @ Prestige Cars on 21st Jul 2011 7:38pm. Edited 5 times in total

Post #73282 21st Jul 2011 7:32pm
GregP

United Kingdom 2002 Range Rover HSE Td6 Adriatic Blue

KurtVerbose wrote:
GregP wrote:

Fair dos.
I think what I am trying to say is similar to pretlove. There is no way im coughing up cash for tyres I am unlikely to need. Even with the previous 2 severe winters nationally it was not too bad down in Exmouth. I had Goodyear wranglers on with only 3-4mm of tread and had no problems as long as I took it steady. If I lived somewhere more at risk to heavy snow fall I'd no doubt be purchasing some winter tyres.
Where would something like a general grabber AT2 fit. All terrain suggest it would be reasonable?? FFRR TD6 HSE
Adriatic Blue with Parchment leather.

Post #73283 21st Jul 2011 7:34pm
KurtVerbose

There's no question it's an expense, and given the gulf stream the UK rarely has consistant temperatures below 7 degrees, which does make it hard to justify.

Having said that, when I moved to Switzerland some 8 years ago, I'd hardly heard about winter tyres and was ignorant of how good they are. Now I wouldn't want to drive a car in winter without them, in Switzerland or the UK, they are that big a safety improvement.

Re cost, I have two sets of alloys, for both cars, and you can generally pick up a spare set of alloys quite cheaply if you're not too fussy - and most people aren't in winter. There's the cost of changing them over in Autumn and spring, but I do that myself, and in any case it doesn't cost much if you go to a garage. Storage can be an issue in the UK. In Switzerland garages can do this for you quite cheaply, but I have space anyway.

In terms of tyre wear, ok you are buying two sets of tyres, but you're not wearing out two sets of tyres as you can only drive with one set on, so long term it's not an additional expense.

There are alternatives. I forget who it was who posted a thread on Vreds winter tyres, who found them excellent and just used them all year round. Nothing wrong with that. Also there are M&S tyres that are legal here in Switzerland all year. I think my summer tyres are actually M&S, but I only use them in Summer.

Anyway, I don't wish to preach, I just wanted to share my experiences.

Post #73293 21st Jul 2011 8:53pm
Gazellio @ Prestige Cars

KurtVerbose wrote:

There are alternatives. I forget who it was who posted a thread on Vreds winter tyres, who found them excellent and just used them all year round. Nothing wrong with that. Also there are M&S tyres that are legal here in Switzerland all year. I think my summer tyres are actually M&S, but I only use them in Summer.

That was me.... Whistle

Post #73295 21st Jul 2011 9:12pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>