Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > General (L460 2022) > P550e useable without a home charging point?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
NavinIyapah

United Kingdom 
P550e useable without a home charging point?

Hi all,

Asking for a little bit of real world advice here. I currently drive a P400 HSE in Eiger Grey with a generous splattering of option (photos attached). In summary, I adore the car, the 3.0 i6 is truly silky smooth, almost electric esque, returns mid 30’s on motor way runs (I’ve seen as high as 39mpg with the right traffic conditions) and around town generally mid 20’s which isn’t the end of the world.

I adore the car, colour and spec!

However I’m in a fortunate enough position to potentially be able to expense a P550e autobiography though one of my companies. The BIK it seems is a little over £100 per month, although I’ll confirm the exact amount with my accountants this week, and tbh I’d rather treat myself than the coffers of HMRC.

Here comes the stickler though, i currently don’t have a charging point at home and don’t have the ability to be able to install one anytime soon. Our new home is currently being built but won’t be finished for another 18/24 months so for the time being I am where I am.

The question, has anyone run an L460 hybrid, in particular a P550e, without having a home charging point and if so, how have you found it?

Is it a feasible option to charge at charging stations and if the battery isn’t charged is the car efficient at all as I can imagine that there will be many occasions where the battery won’t be charged seeing as the range is relatively low.

Thanks in advance guys and girls

Post #702738 21st Oct 2024 8:05am
TMO53

United Kingdom 

Navin
I might be able to help. I normally run a D350 HSE, but because this broke down 3 days after it was delivered I was given a P460e as a loaner for several weeks. I don't have a charge point either.
What I found was that the car would charge overnight from a conventional 13A outlet assuming that it was parked up before 6pm and not driven before 8am. I got about 50 miles out of a charge.
I also had the chance to try it on a long run up and around Scotland where I didn't have access to any charge points. Here I managed 29mpg in a mode where the battery charge was kept at 80% by the internal energy recovery mode.
Generally I found the P460e a great car but there's no hiding the quarter of a tonne of batteries in the 460, if you only run on A roads and motorways then it's absolutely fine but on twisty back roads the weight shows up. If you get the P550e it has Dynamic Response Pro suspension which might take the edge off the mass.
For the moment I'm very happy with the D350 (which has Dynamic Response Pro fitted) but might be tempted by the P550e when the time come to change it.

Post #702743 21st Oct 2024 9:28am
timoteiwa

United Kingdom 

I have a P440e and in a similar position to you - car is expensed, home is currently undergoing renovation until next April (I hope!) and no charger at the rental house.

We do have a charger at our office, so will charge it up there most days, failing that I can run the 13A home charger from the rental's garage sockets, which I do maybe once every couple weeks. It takes approx 13 hours to charge from 0 to full and so I usually have time to charge it fully overnight if I get home at a reasonable hour.

In any event if it doesn't work for you, you don't technically need to run the hybrid battery to claim it at the lower BIK rate. One of my friends is an on the road salesman and has a BMW PHEV as a company car and anecdotally has not charged it once!

Post #702756 21st Oct 2024 11:42am
NavinIyapah

United Kingdom 

TMO53 wrote:
Navin
I might be able to help. I normally run a D350 HSE, but because this broke down 3 days after it was delivered I was given a P460e as a loaner for several weeks. I don't have a charge point either.
What I found was that the car would charge overnight from a conventional 13A outlet assuming that it was parked up before 6pm and not driven before 8am. I got about 50 miles out of a charge.
I also had the chance to try it on a long run up and around Scotland where I didn't have access to any charge points. Here I managed 29mpg in a mode where the battery charge was kept at 80% by the internal energy recovery mode.
Generally I found the P460e a great car but there's no hiding the quarter of a tonne of batteries in the 460, if you only run on A roads and motorways then it's absolutely fine but on twisty back roads the weight shows up. If you get the P550e it has Dynamic Response Pro suspension which might take the edge off the mass.
For the moment I'm very happy with the D350 (which has Dynamic Response Pro fitted) but might be tempted by the P550e when the time come to change it.

Thanks for this insight TMO53, 29mpg on a long run doesn't sound the best does it, especially from something billed to be hyper efficient! This is what I was worried about as my driving is evenly split between Motorway and city.

THanks again

Post #702758 21st Oct 2024 12:50pm
NavinIyapah

United Kingdom 

timoteiwa wrote:
I have a P440e and in a similar position to you - car is expensed, home is currently undergoing renovation until next April (I hope!) and no charger at the rental house.

We do have a charger at our office, so will charge it up there most days, failing that I can run the 13A home charger from the rental's garage sockets, which I do maybe once every couple weeks. It takes approx 13 hours to charge from 0 to full and so I usually have time to charge it fully overnight if I get home at a reasonable hour.

In any event if it doesn't work for you, you don't technically need to run the hybrid battery to claim it at the lower BIK rate. One of my friends is an on the road salesman and has a BMW PHEV as a company car and anecdotally has not charged it once!

Hi Tim, yes this sounds like a very similar situation. Unfortunately my car is kept in an underground car park so I don't have the option of a 13amp Plug. I could possibly do this at work but there will be no structure to this so I run a high risk of only being able to use petrol station charging points and the like!

Post #702759 21st Oct 2024 12:53pm
CS

Scotland 2017 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Corris Grey

There is a Harry's Garage youtube video on the P510e SV which you might find useful. Only Range Rovers since 1988

Post #702760 21st Oct 2024 12:56pm
gerryb

United Kingdom 

I have the P460e. I have done just over 6000 miles in 4 months. My average consumption for all miles travelled is 76mpg. My daily commute is only 15 miles each way so I am easily able to do that in EV mode and I can charge at work.

During that time I have driven to Galway and back (1290 miles) with only 2 charges on the road and dragged a caravan to Northumberland and back (400 miles) plus 400 miles in Northumberland without the caravan with no charges on the road. I only achieved 20mpg towing the caravan in petrol only mode.

I tend not to charge on the road because the cost per kWh is generally over 55p/kWh which is more expensive than running in petrol mode at 30mpg.

On a 260 mile run with a full charge I can get an average of 43.7mpg.
When the battery is depleted expect only 30mpg.

I do sometimes charge at home on a 13A socket. I get cheap electricity from 00:30-06:00 so I tend to use the onboard timer to restrict charging to these hours. Expect to get 1.7kW per hour with a 13A socket.

I am very happy with the P460e and my overall fuel economy. It was 8 weeks before I put any petrol in the tank and I had covered 2090 miles. I accept that I am only going to get 30mpg in petrol only mode but my journey mix is well suited to the P460e EV range.

Initially, I got an EV range of 62 miles on picking up the vehicle in June. This dropped after a couple of weeks to 58 miles. Now it is typically 55 miles as we get into the colder weather.

Post #702768 21st Oct 2024 3:05pm
supershuttle

England 2013 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Luxor

I hope you don't see this intervention as hijacking the thread but I am in the market for another RR but was thinking the P400e my car sits on the drive for days and then it might go to the shops if SWMBO says so (she has her own car but likes to be chauffeured - Hyacinth Bouquet syndrome). I was thinking of a 2019 car and 20 mile range on EV would be more than enough to get to the shops and back. I very occasionally go further as you can see in the attached photo but not very fast, never breaking the speed limit even on th motorway). Looks to me like the P400e fits the bill for me and they are cheap (like me) am I wrong?

Geoff

Post #702775 21st Oct 2024 4:06pm
JackRegan

United Kingdom 

@NavinIyapah

I have a P550e and used home charging for the first week. I wasn't doing long miles that week, so overnight charging was fine.

Similar to TMO53, overnight charging from a 13A socket added about 70%, roughly 50 EV miles. This was in September when the overnight weather was good, this may reduce during the winter months.

The "Save" feature uses the petrol engine to charge the battery when driving to a specific level, 80% for me. This reduces your mpg, for me to around 30mpg. In comparison, when I used this feature in a Volvo XC60 Recharge with a 2L turbo engine, the mpg was high teens to very low 20's. I don't think I have any meaningful petrol-only mpg, where I've not used the "save" feature.

Could you use public charging for your longer journeys? If so, then I could see the P550e/460e without a home charging point being fine. However, if not and you regularly do 120+ miles journeys, you may find you are driving for longer periods on petrol only rather than EV or hybrid. Effectively, a P400 carrying a heavy load.

@supershuttle

I have no experience with the P400e. It looks like it has a 13.1kWh battery, small enough not to need a home charging point, it could easily be fully charged overnight from a 13A socket.

Like you, I now do quite a lot of short and shorter trips which was killing my previous P405 diesel. The PHEV in EV mode is perfect for this. There are now times when I think I must use the petrol engine as it has been used for a while. Not sure how well the P400e performs when towing, but It sounds like a PHEV would be perfect for your current driving profile. 2024 P550e Autobiography
2016MY TDV6 Autobiography - Gone
2011MY 5.0 SC Autobiography Black - Gone
2005 TD6 Vogue - Gone

Post #702826 22nd Oct 2024 9:41am
supershuttle

England 2013 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Luxor

Thanks all, I would need to get a smart meter from Octopus energy to get the "off peak" rate but that is only at night from 12.30 to 5.30, I will be tucked up in bed then so it would be useful to know if you can set the charging time on the car. I never tow just a bike rack on the back sometimes and if I do a longer drive I'll be taking my time. Geoff

Post #702832 22nd Oct 2024 12:12pm
Merchy

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Zermatt Silver

I have no idea if you can set the charging time on the car, but if you were charging from a standard 13 amp socket you could use a plug in on/off timer for the 12.30 / 5.30 period, quite cheap and could be handy.

Post #702835 22nd Oct 2024 1:08pm
TMO53

United Kingdom 

It's not something I used whilst I had the loaner but I believe there is a way of scheduling charging.

Post #702839 22nd Oct 2024 1:45pm
gerryb

United Kingdom 
Timed charging

Yes you can set up timed charging in the car.
Select EV from the apps list. Select charging tab (bottom right) then you get options for immediate charging, smart charging and low cost charging. Select low cost charging and edit the hours to suit. If you leave it in low cost charging mode it will ask you when you turn the ignition off if you want to select immediate charging. This is useful if you charge at home on low cost and then want to top at work. Reverts to low cost next time you get home. Smart charging is similar but if you know you need a full charge and 6 hours is not going to be enough you give it a departure time and it will charge to 100% but will optimise for low cost charging.

Post #702841 22nd Oct 2024 2:00pm
MPx

United Kingdom 2017 Range Rover SVAutobiography 5.0 SC V8 Waitomo Grey

supershuttle wrote:
I would need to get a smart meter from Octopus energy to get the "off peak" rate but that is only at night from 12.30 to 5.30,

Just make sure you've done your sums Geoff. Octopus is very cheap for those 4 (?) hours - and if you regularly use that period for lots of amps then it will be good. But if the rest of your leccy consumption is peak rate - which tends to be slightly loaded over the standard rate, you may find you pay more overall by swapping to Go. I have an old fashioned "economy 7" with Octopus, which gives me 7 hours of cheap (11p so not as cheap as Go) but that suits us better as our household is very leccy heavy and there's only so much of it you can cram in overnight. Mike - MPx

2017 5.0 V8 Supercharged SVAutobigraphy Dynamic SVO Palette Grey (2021-...)
2012 5.0 V8 Supercharged Autoboigraphy Orkney Grey (2017-2021)
2007 4.2 V8 Supercharged Vogue SE Tonga Green (2012-2017)
2002 4.4 V8 Vogue Bonnatti Grey (2008-2012)

Post #702846 22nd Oct 2024 2:38pm
Martin2

England 

I'm on Octopus Intelligent Go and with only a 14kwh Hybrid, I'm definitely saving. We run the dishwasher/washing machine/robot vacuum chargers and a few other things over night and I'm getting c40% of my electricity use at 7p an hour. It's only costs 98p to charge the car and that gets me 35 miles in the summer and around 28 miles in the winter. MY23 Panamera E-Hybrid
MY19 SDV8 Autobiography - Sold

Post #702849 22nd Oct 2024 5:17pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>