Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Technical (L405) > Restricted performance, anyone had similar...?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Haylands

England 2014 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Loire Blue
Restricted performance, anyone had similar...?

I was darn sooth for a couple of days, been driving for 10miles on minor "A" roads when "restricted performance" came up on the dash, no bong at all but there was no power, was coming to a slight incline so managed to pull off the road.

Went to turn it off, pressed the button and the engine started to die but instantly the ignition came back on quick enough to keep the engine running so basically I couldn't turn it off, I tried about 10 times and the same thing happened, switch off then back on before the revs dropped.....

Weird thinks I (I'm quick like that) I then thought what happens if I press and hold the on/off button? this worked and the engine switched off and the gear knob disappeared... then.... "bong" "Not in Park" came up on the dash, did about 3-4 bongs then disappeared then did it again, just kept cycling between blank dash and "Not in Park" obviously no way to put it in park and it now wouldn't turn back on... nothing on the button...

I reach for the big guns, out comes the IID and a short time later it's reading faults.... Just one

HVAC-Ventilation

B13C2-49 (6C) Windshield misting sensor - System internal failure - internal electronic failure

An old fault which one day I will replace...

I cleared the faults anyway and the IID shoved up lots of failure messages but was cycling through the ECU's

Then the bonging and the Not in Park messaged disappeared, I hit the start button, it started fine, with restricted performance now gone, drove on fine...

Drove around Londinium for another day, then 200 miles home, been out in it several times since and it's behaving impeccably.

I wondered about voltage but the main battery is brand new, just a week old and the second battery is at 12.6v at rest so I don't think voltage had anything to do with it...

Anyone come across this, is it a precursor to imminent failure, will it live till Christmas, should I sell it... Answers on a postcard Laughing

Pretty picture because we all like a photo...!!

Pete

2002 L322 Vogue 4.4 V8 Epson Green, Ivory over Aspen Interior (Fatty Offroader) Sold
-Click for Project Fatty off roader-

Last edited by Haylands on 18th Oct 2024 10:15am. Edited 1 time in total

Post #694194 10th Jun 2024 12:35pm
stan
Site Moderator

Location: a moderate moderated moderator moderating moderately in moderation

United Kingdom 

new battery , maybe loose connection? ... - .- -.

Y. O. L. O.

Post #694198 10th Jun 2024 12:49pm
Haylands

Checked and double checked Stan, I instantly thought voltage but both batteries are perfect and correctly fitted...

It's probably one of those fatty idiosyncrasies.... Rolling Eyes Pete

2002 L322 Vogue 4.4 V8 Epson Green, Ivory over Aspen Interior (Fatty Offroader) Sold

Post #694201 10th Jun 2024 1:28pm
stan
Site Moderator

United Kingdom 

you're probably right Pete but its frustrating not knowing the cause..

only other things i can think of is the earth strap [under wheel arch?] and the stop/start switch.

i reckon you'll wake up at 3 am and know what it is... Very Happy ... - .- -.

Y. O. L. O.

Post #694203 10th Jun 2024 1:45pm
Haylands

Thanks Stan,

I did the earth straps when I did the ACE pipes so they are all good....

Stop/start button was changed when I bought it and I don't think that would chuck up the restricted performance, might do the turn off issue but it is just a switch that connects two wires so I doubt it...

It seemed a very specific issue so just wondered if anyone else had succumbed to it.... Pete

Post #694208 10th Jun 2024 2:06pm
fisha

2015 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Aruba

It almost reads like there wasn’t enough power to go round, and that you were getting brown-outs of the systems in their electrical supply. ( like when you say the engine started to die, but the dash came back up as there was power now available the engine wasn’t using it)

Wonder if something like one of the main power relays were switching and so you were losing power partially. But on further startups they were holding ? V8 or else ...

Post #694263 11th Jun 2024 5:16pm
Haylands

Thanks for the thoughts, you could be right, I put it on here to see if someone had had similar but it appears not. I don't think I'm going to be able to search for it unless it does it again and stays like it..!!

If something is dying I suppose I will be the first to find out... Rolling Eyes

If not it's because it says "Range Rover" on the front and back Whistle Laughing Pete

Post #694266 11th Jun 2024 6:16pm
Haylands

Here we are, 4 months and several thousand miles of fault free motoring and it does something similar...

Driving to Manchester airport to pick up daughter, 200 mile round trip, rush hour so lots of speed restrictions so the ACC is working overtime, about 80 miles from home and "restricted performance" comes up on the dash, we are doing around 60 and the car seems to run fine, as the traffic clears I accelerate to see if there is power and nothing happens, the cruise is holding it to 60, but set for 70, not enough performance to go any faster...

We were running late as there had been an accident so didn't have much time but stopped at the next services and switched off, all dash lights went out as usual but the engine was still running, no ignition on, a black dash but engine still running, it ran for about 5-10seconds (seemed like an hour!!) then switched off.....

Left it a few mins and restarted which it did fine but still with "restricted performance " showing. I pulled away and you could feel it was sluggish, I'd stopped in the petrol station so nowhere else to go but back out onto the motorway (with hindsight I'd have stopped in the car park)

It drove like a flat pancake but I soon realised the cruise was the best thing to use, set it, then increase the set speed and the engine would slowly get to about 60 with no problem.

We picked daughter up and I left it running, we drove a few miles to a pub for dinner, switched off and yet again the engine stayed on, then after about the same time, switched off...

We went inside and ordered and as we were waiting I went back outside and it started fine, with no faults showing....

I plugged in the IID, and it showed no fault codes apart from...

Using IIDTool BT V4.0 B2803

ACM-Audio System

B119F-11 (2C) GPS antenna - General electrical failure - circuit short to ground
HVAC-Ventilation

B13C2-49 (2F) Windshield misting sensor - System internal failure - internal electronic failure
( on 07-06-2024 15:46:05 at 78224 mi )
TVM-Television

B1D56-11 (2Cool Antenna 3 circuit - General electrical failure - circuit short to ground

These all cleared and only the misting sensor returned which has been there since I bought it

I switched it off, turned off immediately, had dinner, started fine again and drove 99 miles home with no issues...

This morning I have checked the batteries connections, and have looked at, prodded and poked anything else I can think of... IID still only showing the misting sensor...

Weird as well that there is no "bong of doom" at any time....

Sorry for the waffling but it is a weird fault and I was wondered if anyone else had had something similar...?

Picture as we all like one and you have been good reading this far... Thumbs Up

Pete

Post #702443 18th Oct 2024 10:15am
stan
Site Moderator

United Kingdom 

could be,

split inlet manifold or hoses

map/maf sensor

egr valve ... - .- -.

Y. O. L. O.

Post #702456 18th Oct 2024 11:11am
Haylands

Thanks Stan, I was thinking something similar, I gave it a full throttle test on the way home and it was fine so I don't think it's a split or a leak.... (you forget how rapid these things are when given the beans!!)

There is no misting anywhere under the engine cover...!!

Maybe I'll clean the map/maf and egr but I would have thought it would have chucked a code up for them..??

Sort of wish it would just break....lol....

(has anyone ever said that before....!!!) Pete

Post #702457 18th Oct 2024 11:25am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1