Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Off Topic > Sending dashcam evidence of dangerous driving to the police
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 4 <1234>
Print this entire topic · 
BLT Dave

United Kingdom 

I wasn't going to be pedantic though I could tell what you were getting at, and yes that is what happened.

Though I did a course instead of the points - which was actually quite interesting for 2x reasons:

1. It's a good refresher for certain things
2. There's a lot of numpties who don't understand basic roadcraft/rules

Also, for the record, you get a NIP from the police for going over a white line stating 'Dangerous Driving', with no evidence attached - if you don't know exactly what you did wrong that get's the blood pressure up a bit! 2019 MY SDV8 Autobiography in Velocity Blue
2018 SL63
2022 iX3

Post #701852 9th Oct 2024 4:09pm
JayGee

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Orkney Grey

That's certainly not the kind of thing I'd be reporting unless (and I'm not insinuating anything with this) there had been other issues involved such as being tailgated and agressivley overtaken with minimum clearance and then pulling infront and brake checking or slowing down to 'teach me a lesson'. 2012 TDV8 Vogue (L322)

Post #701853 9th Oct 2024 4:09pm
Scouse Exile

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Buckingham Blue

@BLTDave - Have to say it feels harsh on the basis of someone sending in dashcam evidence. The trouble with dashcam video from members of the public is that, as JayGee suggests, there could have been a whole other series of events that leads up to someone doing something that might be considered "dangerous" but excludes other behaviour that the submitting driver choose to not provide.

I'll give you an example, there have been occasions down the years as a motorcyclist that I have decided to do something of "questionable good driving" because I considered someone around me to present me with a risk - it could be me putting "space" between myself and a car that is tailgating me or perhaps overtaking in a way that a car driver might think reckless to again give myself a better position on the road. Either way, taken out of context and viewed only from a car drivers perspective it could be seen differently.

I think this is what JayGee was trying to draw a distinction with - i.e. not petty minor transgressions but people who are genuinely presenting a risk to other road users.

I think your doing the right thing JayGee - hopefully it helps prevent a later accident and possibly someone being injured.

J

Post #701856 9th Oct 2024 4:25pm
dingg1

2007 Range Rover Vogue SE 4.2 SC V8 Stornoway Grey

If you lot came to live in Portugal, you'd be a lot more relaxed about things.

Here, just assume every other driver will do the unexpected and you won't be too wrong.

πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

Defencive driving at all times for me 😎

Ps If I was sending in dashcam footage it would turn into a full time job, and I have a life to live rather than getting too wound up about other people's driving 😜

Post #701857 9th Oct 2024 4:42pm
dingg1

If you lot came to live in Portugal, you'd be a lot more relaxed about things.

Here, just assume every other driver will do the unexpected and you won't be too wrong.

πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

Defencive driving at all times for me 😎

Ps If I was sending in dashcam footage it would turn into a full time job, and I have a life to live rather than getting too wound up about other people's driving 😜

Post #701858 9th Oct 2024 4:45pm
dingg1

Dunno how that posted twice and my spelling is atrocious 🀣🀣

Post #701859 9th Oct 2024 4:47pm
MikeO

Scotland 2009 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Buckingham Blue

Gloucestershire Police require a minimum of 2mins footage to ensure there is some context leading up to and following the incident. Which is annoying as I was going to submit one but only pulled one minutes footage off the dashcam (hadn't read the guidance at that stage)! 2016 Skoda Octavia VRS Estate
<gone>2009 FF Vogue TDV8 Buckingham Blue</gone>
<gone>2015 BMW 520D SE (not my favourite car)</gone>
<gone>2009 D3 HSE Galway Green</gone>

Post #701880 9th Oct 2024 11:01pm
cass

United Kingdom 

There doesn't seem to be a lot of support for snitching but I'm 100% in favour when this relates to an accident investigation but 100% against it at all other times. If it's part of an investigation then it will likely be reviewed and investigated properly but anything else is likely glanced at before sending out a fixed penalty. As has been mentioned a short clip doesn't tell the whole story, has everyone forgotten that vile, nasty, racist bully of an armed policeman who recently stamped on the head of some poor defenceless Asian boy at Manchester Airport? He was convicted in the court of public opinion long before the earlier footage emerged.
I can't remember the last time that I was overtaken on the left, if it was happening frequently I would be questioning my own driving, If there's room for someone to pass on the left then there must be room for you to pull over and let people past? There's a hundred reasons why someone wants to get past, from the old cliches of a medical emergency to the completely understandable ones like "prairie dogging" the remnants of a fierce curry, point is it's their choice to decide what speed they travel not yours/mine or anybody else's.
You can't bank on the Police doing the right thing, a few years ago I witnessed 3 blokes battering 1 bloke so I turned around and went back to try and help. The Police turned up and my wife mentioned my dashcam, the first words from the WPC who looked at the recording were " you do realised you were travelling in excess of the speed limit Sir?" Unfortunately the footage got deleted when I tried to save it. That was the first and last time His Majesties finest will see my footage.

Post #701934 10th Oct 2024 8:11pm
Scouse Exile

You make a strong case Sir.

J

Post #701938 10th Oct 2024 8:45pm
Barmybrummie

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE 4.4 V8 Santorini Black

Thought I would give my opinion on this subject seeing as I'm a hgv driver. Driving a truck to driving my fatty, cars are the far worst believe you me. I have a dashcam fitted in my truck with a big red button that I can press to store -2 and +2 minutes of recording should anything happen. And believe me, it does happen, several times a day. Namely car drivers pulling in front of me and then slow right down to come off at a junction, invading my safety space. Always trying to get in front of me no matter what putting on coming cars at risk. Thinking they can get around you on a roundabout and because you are so much bigger they automatically assume it's your fault that you roll their car up like a sardine can. Never happened to me of course but other drivers it has. When I took my hgv test, it was drummed into us that we are the professionals behind the wheel and have to exercise every precaution, however you cannot predict the stupidity of some drivers. You also see a lot of truck/car accidents on motorways, usually near junction slip roads. Another common accident is when a car is about to enter the motorway and a truck or along side, the car driver has 2 choices, speed up to get in front and get gone or slow down and join behind truck. We can't always move lanes with another vehicle at the side of us or due to lane restrictions etc etc but a lot of stupid drivers don't actually understand that we are speed limited to 56mph and can't go any faster, so those thinking that we can put our foot down to leave a gap for cars to merge on the motorways are morons. And just so you know, I always press the button in my truck when a near miss happens, because they soon know about it when the air horns deafen them and they proceed to give me the finger for them being in the wrong and so contact my company for me being unprofessional. Funny how they don't respond when my transport manager emails them the dashcam footage.

Post #701939 10th Oct 2024 9:08pm
Scouse Exile

Well said.

I have to say that truck drivers are (almost) always reliable for behaving professionally on the roads. There are of course exceptions but certainly more consistently better than car drivers.

My partner is always nervous around lorries in the car and I always say to her that it’s not lorry drivers to be afraid of its other cars etc.

Respect to you.

J

Post #701943 10th Oct 2024 9:26pm
Haylands

England 2014 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

Just remember, a driver driving 1mph slower than you is a doddery old fool who should get a move on

and

A driver doing 1mph more than you is a reckless oaf....

Whistle Rolling Eyes Whistle Pete

2002 L322 Vogue 4.4 V8 Epson Green, Ivory over Aspen Interior (Fatty Offroader) Sold
-Click for Project Fatty off roader-

Post #701945 10th Oct 2024 9:30pm
Barmybrummie

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE 4.4 V8 Santorini Black

Thanks J, a confident motorist should know that a truck driver will be well aware of his surroundings and other vehicles around him or her. However, there's the odd few who for some strange reason, like to sit in your blind spot, namely the passenger side by the front wheel. This happened to me in France a few months ago near Paris, a guy sat in my blind spot, cars emerging onto motorway, I was indicating to move over a few seconds after, whack, spun him around to front of the truck and pushed him 500 metres down the motorway then onto the hard shoulder.
Most trucks are fitted with all sorts of sensors and extra mirrors, yes they are great for what they are, but they are useless to idiot drivers. It's law now that all trucks must be fitted with a DVS system on the passenger side and fitted with 2 cameras not the usual 1. And that isn't really for other motorists benefit no, for bloody cyclists. Oh yes, cyclists that are also as bad as some motorists. I have audible warning "warning vehicle turning left" on mine and yet cyclists still think they won't get squished.
From a truck drivers point of view, we are constantly looking in our mirrors, we do see you, we are aware you are there, whether we are turning left, right, on a roundabout, we are none stop in our mirrors.
But as jaygee asked if he should submit his footage, you should do what you feel is best. As you've probably read above, it happens to me several times a day and if I was submit footage from my dashcam after every shift to the relevant police force, I wouldn't get to bed until midnight. All I can say is, be careful out there on these roads.

Post #701946 10th Oct 2024 9:59pm
GrumpyPenguin

United Kingdom 

Alex1976 wrote:
I feel that submitting evidence of an actual incident (crash etc) or some blatantly dangerous driving/road rage incident is one thing, but if we all start sending in evidence of β€˜poor driving’ then it does feel we are heading in to Stasi territory and we will soon be reporting comrades for wrong think.

Quite - what we really need is more "TrafPol" on the roads - highly visible in clearly marked cars - (none of these "covert" cars) - that would soon start to weed out the idiots.

Post #701966 11th Oct 2024 12:21pm
GrumpyPenguin

United Kingdom 

BarmyBrummie - excellent points in your last two posts.
As a fellow HGV driver I am of the opinion that part of getting your first licence & during your probationary period you should have to spend a day in the cab of an HGV to get a better understanding of "real" driving.

Post #701967 11th Oct 2024 12:35pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 4 <1234>