Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Technical (L405) > I'm now a Regeneration trainee nerd--lol
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 25 of 25 <123 ... 232425
Print this entire topic · 
Kot

United Kingdom 

First upgrade to pro version its peanuts and worth it just to get rid of ads etc

Dont worry about the 100%, its much more accurate watching the g soot. If the regen is interrupted at the end of your journey, or because you are stuck in slow moving traffic, it will remain at 100% until the next regen starts and finishes. Mine usually starts around 20.5g mark and stops about 5g. 2018 SE SDV8 4.4 Byron Blue

Post #700235 17th Sep 2024 10:55am
MattEngineer

United Kingdom 2017 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Santorini Black

Thanks Kot, that’s really helpful sometimes too much data can be a bad thing.

Given the car seems to regen between 18.5g and 21g I presume it will wait till it reaches this level again, rather than try and regen multiple times with low g.

I think the two graphs below show it best. Yes, I will definitely upgrade to pro.

Post #700240 17th Sep 2024 11:20am
Gremlin500

United Kingdom 2017 Range Rover Vogue TDV6 Corris Grey

@Matt: your Soot readings are set to %, not grams?

I also use %, and find regens only happen above 50%, never below.
Normally, a regen will happen as soon as 51% is reached, even if the oil temp is still lowish, as soon as you floor the throttle or get above 40mph, it just happens. This can be inconvenient, so you need to watch it in case you trigger it by mistake, say in town.

I’ve set my soot display value to turn red above 50%, then green below 7%.
As soon as regen begins, the % soot jumps from 51% to 100%, and stays there until the regen is finished, usually about 20 minutes later.

Sometimes it can be frustrating if you “jump the gun” and go for a run at 48 or 49%, and get onto a fast road, only to find the soot level goes DOWN due to passive regen, frustrating your efforts, and wasting your fuel Sad “If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it” -where’s the fun in that?

Post #700244 17th Sep 2024 11:25am
Gremlin500

United Kingdom 2017 Range Rover Vogue TDV6 Corris Grey

Ah! Kot got there first! Laughing

It doesn’t really matter if you use g or %, so long as you know the values at which your car triggers.
It’s a good idea to “program” the display colours to warn you of an impending event, so you can drive appropriately and head for a long, fast road in time! Thumbs Up “If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it” -where’s the fun in that?

Post #700246 17th Sep 2024 11:29am
E500

United Kingdom 

Just discovered this thread and I love a bit of data, have a spare OBD2 reader and CarScanner Pro...

I've just been out to hook it up to the car and see what's what. I don't seem to have some of the sensors / readings you guys have though. For example the DPF regen status?

Am I missing something obvious? I tried a few of the connection profiles... Do I need to create them as custom readings using a sensor with a less obvious name?

This is everything with 'dpf' in the name:

Click image to enlarge

edit: car is a 2015 (MY16) 4.4

Post #700251 17th Sep 2024 12:03pm
luxmoggy

Germany 2019 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Montalcino Red

So the soot %… from watching this for a long time. It seems only to drop from 100% after the soot grams finishes dropping and km until next regen is 0km plus a few more minutes.
So for me the km until the next regen is the best indicator. As the soot grams rarely gets above 12g so it triggered by the distance.
The last time soot g was the trigger was at Easter in the UK. Slower and shorter journeys.
Don’t worry about soot% it is just one indicator. SDV8 AB MY 2020
MINI Cooper S Cabrio
Kit: Jaguar XK140 (in progress - the website is link to build)

Post #700263 17th Sep 2024 2:07pm
Spridget

United Kingdom 2015 Range Rover Vogue SDV6 Corris Grey

My car just has to be different and I get about 170 miles between regens. A couple of times I've really hoofed it to try and get it to start, turned off in disgust into a side road and a perfect regen will start at around 50mph 18.8 to 19g of soot and 51 or 52%. I had to get the AA out to force a regen once and the AA man said that he finds that unlike every other car on the road, Landrovers usually go into regen at low revs and around 50 to 55 mph. He also said 'It beats me why the £&^@ you all keep buying them'. 🤔. He just doesn't understand.🙄

Post #700269 17th Sep 2024 3:56pm
Kot

United Kingdom 

E500 wrote:
Just discovered this thread and I love a bit of data, have a spare OBD2 reader and CarScanner Pro...

I've just been out to hook it up to the car and see what's what. I don't seem to have some of the sensors / readings you guys have though. For example the DPF regen status?

Am I missing something obvious? I tried a few of the connection profiles... Do I need to create them as custom readings using a sensor with a less obvious name?

This is everything with 'dpf' in the name:

Click image to enlarge

edit: car is a 2015 (MY16) 4.4

I use dpf soot grams, soot%, Bank1 sensor3, Bank1 sensor4, Av distance between pf regens, oil and coolant temp and the status -try Particulate Filter (DPF) Regeneration in progress sensor
You have the ability to tick box and create custom name 2018 SE SDV8 4.4 Byron Blue

Post #700270 17th Sep 2024 3:59pm
E500

United Kingdom 

Kot wrote:

I use dpf soot grams, soot%, Bank1 sensor3, Bank1 sensor4, Av distance between pf regens, oil and coolant temp and the status -try Particulate Filter (DPF) Regeneration in progress sensor
You have the ability to tick box and create custom name

Gotcha, thanks.

I also noticed your post (much) earlier in the thread saying you used one of the RRS profiles... I didn't try those.

Will go back out to the car later and play around some more.

Post #700271 17th Sep 2024 4:07pm
Kot

United Kingdom 

Gremlin500 wrote:
Ah! Kot got there first! Laughing

It doesn’t really matter if you use g or %, so long as you know the values at which your car triggers.
It’s a good idea to “program” the display colours to warn you of an impending event, so you can drive appropriately and head for a long, fast road in time! Thumbs Up

I started off relying on % but when contacting the developer, he added a new profile for 2018+ SDV8 it included grams so found this a lot better for me. Mainly because if you missed a regen and it was incomplete, next time you started engine and opened the app you had no idea what status the soot amount was in the DPF it always showed 100%. With the grams you know exactly where you are and when to expect the next Regen.
The 100% Rolling with laughter just reminds me I missed another :censored:dy Regen Rolling with laughter 2018 SE SDV8 4.4 Byron Blue

Post #700272 17th Sep 2024 4:13pm
Kot

United Kingdom 

E500 wrote:
Kot wrote:

You have the ability to tick box and create custom name

Gotcha, thanks.

I also noticed your post (much) earlier in the thread saying you used one of the RRS profiles... I didn't try those.

Will go back out to the car later and play around some more.

Yes I tried most of the profiles in the earlier days just to see what worked etc 2018 SE SDV8 4.4 Byron Blue

Post #700273 17th Sep 2024 4:14pm
E500

United Kingdom 

Well I just went out to try again and I can't get it to show half those params.

I tried all most of the vaguely similar profiles - when I tried the Disco III 4.4 my dash started flickering and all sorts of warning lights came on! Shocked

Fortunately it doesn't seem to have done any permanent harm.

Is there anyone else with a MY16 4.4 that has managed to get this working properly? I'm missing most of the interesting DPF readings. All the temperatures and 'normal' OBD2 functions work fine.

edit: I meant to say I have exactly the same issue as this chap: https://www.fullfatrr.com/forum/post689526.html#689526

Post #700283 17th Sep 2024 6:39pm
MattEngineer

United Kingdom 2017 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Santorini Black

luxmoggy wrote:
So the soot %… from watching this for a long time. It seems only to drop from 100% after the soot grams finishes dropping and km until next regen is 0km plus a few more minutes.
So for me the km until the next regen is the best indicator. As the soot grams rarely gets above 12g so it triggered by the distance.
The last time soot g was the trigger was at Easter in the UK. Slower and shorter journeys.
Don’t worry about soot% it is just one indicator.

Thank you, appreciate the advice. It’s clearly much more helpful to focus on soot in grams. I can’t seem to get any mileage in stats in relation to last regen or next. I’m using the 2017-2021, as I have a MY2017 (late with car play if that makes a difference) should I be using the 2013-2016 4.4 profile which at least references the correct engine?

Post #700285 17th Sep 2024 7:02pm
luxmoggy

Germany 2019 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Montalcino Red

For my 2020 4.4, I am using the profile, Range Rover - Range Rover 2017-2021. I have also purchased the application. SDV8 AB MY 2020
MINI Cooper S Cabrio
Kit: Jaguar XK140 (in progress - the website is link to build)

Post #700289 17th Sep 2024 7:44pm
E500

United Kingdom 

E500 wrote:
Well I just went out to try again and I can't get it to show half those params.

I tried all most of the vaguely similar profiles - when I tried the Disco III 4.4 my dash started flickering and all sorts of warning lights came on! Shocked

Fortunately it doesn't seem to have done any permanent harm.

Is there anyone else with a MY16 4.4 that has managed to get this working properly? I'm missing most of the interesting DPF readings. All the temperatures and 'normal' OBD2 functions work fine.

edit: I meant to say I have exactly the same issue as this chap: https://www.fullfatrr.com/forum/post689526.html#689526

I spent a while digging around with Google and various open source OBD2 projects last night and it seems that the early MY16s may not provide the same level of info you get on slightly later cars. Nobody seems to know exactly when it became available, but some time late MY16 / early MY17 seems most likely.

I plan to spend a little extra time building some custom software (outside Car Scanner) to give me more control over what I'm requesting from the car, but I'm not too hopeful.

Looks like I (and other MY16 nerds) can approximate regen status by reading the exhaust temps as a workaround though.

Post #700310 18th Sep 2024 10:06am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 25 of 25 <123 ... 232425