Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Off Topic > New driveway solutions?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Arch Stanton

England 2018 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Corris Grey
New driveway solutions?

Morning all,

I'm going to have the drive surface relaid and would like views on what solutions to avoid, with our motors being the best part of 3t and I can park the car within an inch or two of being in the exact same spot each time, I want to avoid 'tram lines' and depressions where the wheels will be constantly sitting.

I'd avoid a gravel as they get messy but the porous composite materials look good or should I still with old fashioned asphalt?

Does anyone have any experience of these (good or bad) or any other solutions?

Thanks

Arch First time FFRR owner

Post #697811 11th Aug 2024 9:02am
stan
Site Moderator

Location: a moderate moderated moderator moderating moderately in moderation

United Kingdom 

theres a couple around the corner from me that had coloured tarmac laid for a cost of £7k....unfortunately trams lines appeared shortly after because as in your case they parked in the same place ..

sorry that this is no help to you but it might help you to make a decision.. ... - .- -.

click link for ,

FORUM WIKI

HOW TO Ǝꓕ∀ꓕOꓤ PICS

workshop manual downloads are in our wiki

Post #697814 11th Aug 2024 9:29am
Alex1976

United Kingdom 2016 Range Rover Vogue TDV6 Santorini Black

I had my worn out tarmac replaced with Cotswold stone (20mm chipping) and it is proving to be a good choice after 2 years. It looks beautiful, porous for rain discharge, doesn’t spread like gravel as it is angular and ‘locks in’. Really pleased with it.

However, I would not have used that if I did not have my garage where I can jack etc on a solid concrete floor as would want to be jacking on the Cotswold chippings.

Price wise it is just over £100 per tonne. You will need a tonne per 4SqM at 150mm depth.

Porous composites are good but don’t go cheap on this or you will regret it. Some firms offering a cheaper option and they save costs by not doing the prep work to the correct standard on the substrate and a cheaper grade material for the resin. You really want commercial grade if you want it to last, as you say we are not parking a cinquecento on there!

Post #697815 11th Aug 2024 9:30am
Arch Stanton

stan wrote:
theres a couple around the corner from me that had coloured tarmac laid for a cost of £7k....unfortunately trams lines appeared shortly after because as in your case they parked in the same place ..

sorry that this is no help to you but it might help you to make a decision..

that is great info thanks Stan, is this the composite stuff? First time FFRR owner

Post #697816 11th Aug 2024 9:38am
Arch Stanton

Alex1976 wrote:
I had my worn out tarmac replaced with Cotswold stone (20mm chipping) and it is proving to be a good choice after 2 years. It looks beautiful, porous for rain discharge, doesn’t spread like gravel as it is angular and ‘locks in’. Really pleased with it.

However, I would not have used that if I did not have my garage where I can jack etc on a solid concrete floor as would want to be jacking on the Cotswold chippings.

Price wise it is just over £100 per tonne. You will need a tonne per 4SqM at 150mm depth.

Porous composites are good but don’t go cheap on this or you will regret it. Some firms offering a cheaper option and they save costs by not doing the prep work to the correct standard on the substrate and a cheaper grade material for the resin. You really want commercial grade if you want it to last, as you say we are not parking a cinquecento on there!

thanks Alex, is yours a resin bonded stone? that sounds very interesting, dont suppose you have a picture you can post? First time FFRR owner

Post #697818 11th Aug 2024 9:40am
stan
Site Moderator

United Kingdom 

i dont know the type of stuff they put down but it did look very nice when new and not like regular tarmac. ... - .- -.

click link for ,

FORUM WIKI

HOW TO Ǝꓕ∀ꓕOꓤ PICS

Post #697819 11th Aug 2024 10:00am
nicedayforit

England 2004 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Giverny Green

I wouldn’t touch any form of tarmac. Unless it’s machine laid it’s never truly even so that every time it rains you get puddles. I have shingle which always looks the same whatever you do to it. I do however miss an area of hard standing for car maintenance etc. Thumbs Up

Post #697820 11th Aug 2024 10:01am
stan
Site Moderator

United Kingdom 

maybe a slab of coloured concrete [if thats a thing] ... - .- -.

click link for ,

FORUM WIKI

HOW TO Ǝꓕ∀ꓕOꓤ PICS

Post #697821 11th Aug 2024 10:18am
Merchy

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Zermatt Silver

My brother had a 'red tarmac' laid on his driveway a few years back and it still looks good with no tramlines.
For a living he inspects every stage of building / construction, from high rise buildings to extending runways for aircraft and he was very particular with his specifications for construction, the sub-base he had laid down was quite deep and very well compacted, which helped stop the tramlines.

it appears that you could park a tank, let alone a RR on it without damage Rolling with laughter as for cost, it was not cheap Big Cry

Last edited by Merchy on 11th Aug 2024 10:21am. Edited 1 time in total

Post #697822 11th Aug 2024 10:19am
rjff

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Santorini Black

If you are looking at resin bound you may want to consider Addagrip.

They have approved contractors and have warranties to 10-15 years. However it is expensive, currently the ball park is £40-70 for drives. It does meet SuDS (drainage) requirement for planning.

The substrate you have may need upgrading to suit.

It is availbe for footways, drives and commercial car park surfacing and I have used it for a large area in front of a building but that was very much foot traffic. Did use a 95GVW crane on it for a few days albeit with boarding without damage. Cheers
Richard

(there are no such things as an ordinary FullFat, an ordinary cat or too many tools)
2011 TDV8 Vogue Santorini Black
Gap IIDBT

Post #697823 11th Aug 2024 10:21am
Alistair

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Santorini Black

Yep - it's all about the preparation & base layers, not what's on top.....

Post #697824 11th Aug 2024 10:23am
AndyRoo

Scotland 2012 Range Rover Westminster TDV8 Fuji White

I have small pebbles / gravel, it's the cheapest option but it does tramline so I rake it regularly, takes about 5 mins and it's good as new. Anything else will sag and crack over time, it's inevitable, however, some can easily be relevelled and drain naturally, asphalt & concrete cannot be invisibly repaired and do not drain well.

Downside,you do get crap in the carpets if you're in and out on a rainy day and it's a pain for my HD trolley jack to move round on being as it's so heavy so as a jack base I have 2 x 6 ft scafolding boards for the base and I move the trolley jack on a roller board. The good news is if you spill oil or have a leak you just need to rake it over and it's all gone.

Whatever surface, it's all about the foundation, you'll need at least 1 foot deep compacted 3" aggregate and another 4 to 6 inches compacted 1" aggregate on top of that, then your finishing surface needs to be no less than 2".

Even then it will sag eventually. Concrete will sag or tilt under it's own weight, eventually cracking at the edges, so will asphalt and any repairs will stand out like a dogs boll***s at a wedding. With resin, choose a light mixed colour, you'll notice any sag less. My last house was block paving, about 6" light grey cubes, that sagged after a year or so, but you can lift it, sprinkle a little sand and re lay it again very easily, 2nd year a little sag, 3rd year no sag.

I'd go for big block paving over a good agregate base of at least a foot. It will last the longest and still look good plus it's easy to re level and after a couple of years of natural settlement should stay pretty level and drain well.

A. Fuji White / Jet 2012 4.4 TDV8 Westminster

Post #699273 1st Sep 2024 9:01pm
MPx

United Kingdom 2017 Range Rover SVAutobiography 5.0 SC V8 Waitomo Grey

We have a significant area of 20mm Basalt chippings which I've put in the plastic honeycombe structure you may have come across. They hold the gravel in place (despite slopes) and it doesn't tram line as long a you only go a few mm deep on top of the plastic grid. Only maint I've needed to do in a couple of years or so is add a little more gravel where it had settled and you could start to see the grid edges - looks better when they're properly buried, but go too deep and you get tram lines.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

But of course we all need a hard standing to operate a machine wash bay - doesn't every house have one??? Rolling Eyes
Click image to enlarge
 Mike - MPx

2017 5.0 V8 Supercharged SVAutobigraphy Dynamic SVO Palette Grey (2021-...)
2012 5.0 V8 Supercharged Autoboigraphy Orkney Grey (2017-2021)
2007 4.2 V8 Supercharged Vogue SE Tonga Green (2012-2017)
2002 4.4 V8 Vogue Bonnatti Grey (2008-2012)

Post #699285 1st Sep 2024 11:03pm
AndyRoo

Scotland 2012 Range Rover Westminster TDV8 Fuji White

Is that a cheaky M100 poking it's bum out there ? Very nice toy.

A. Fuji White / Jet 2012 4.4 TDV8 Westminster

Post #699286 1st Sep 2024 11:08pm
MPx

United Kingdom 2017 Range Rover SVAutobiography 5.0 SC V8 Waitomo Grey

Oh yes! Been a Lotus fan boy for more years than I care to remember. Doesn't usually live there - normally tucked up in the barn...

Click image to enlarge

Apols for going so far off topic Embarassed Mike - MPx

2017 5.0 V8 Supercharged SVAutobigraphy Dynamic SVO Palette Grey (2021-...)
2012 5.0 V8 Supercharged Autoboigraphy Orkney Grey (2017-2021)
2007 4.2 V8 Supercharged Vogue SE Tonga Green (2012-2017)
2002 4.4 V8 Vogue Bonnatti Grey (2008-2012)

Post #699287 1st Sep 2024 11:18pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>