United Kingdom 
SC vs SVAD

Hi,

I'm off to test drive 2x cars today/tomorrow, and welcome opinions on them:

SVAD
https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202408193045771

SC
https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202408152921051

I've been looking for ages for a L405 post 2018 facelift AB, with reasonable (imo) mileage, so these 2 fit the bill.

I've not driven either model yet, so will do this and see how they ride. Anyone driven both before? I'm concerned SVAD might be a little TOO sporty, and I don't want a rough ride over bumps, I want that wafty RR drive, but with the 5.0 experience Smile

FYI, I'm going for petrol 5.0 as I'm now working from home, and doing less mileage per year. Also, I will be maintaining a full LR warranty on any RR I buy.

Thanks in advance!

Toby.

Post #699036 29th Aug 2024 8:21am
portrobc

United Kingdom 2016 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Firenze Red

Hi Toby

I have driven both but some time apart.
I still drive my 5.0 SC AB as that was what I bought about 2.5 years ago.
I got a bit of an itch so tried the dynamic and tbh it did not suit my style of old fart wafting so decided
to stick with the 5.0.

I think you need to try both and ideally on some poor quality surfaces (should not be too hard to find) and decide which gives you the ride you want.

Rob Now running a 2016 Autobiography plus a Bentley Continental GTC
Previously ran a Lincoln Navigator and 18 XC60 T5
Before that a pile of Jeeps, Mercedes and Jaguars and Porsches, Mustang and Volvo.

Post #699037 29th Aug 2024 8:35am
stan
Site Moderator

Location: a moderate moderated moderator moderating moderately in moderation

United Kingdom 

maybe the insurance cost difference between the two might sway you... ... - .- -.

click link for ,

FORUM WIKI

HOW TO Ǝꓕ∀ꓕOꓤ PICS

workshop manual downloads are in our wiki

Post #699038 29th Aug 2024 8:44am
supershuttle

England 2013 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Luxor

Both great looking cars but why not pocket the price difference and put it towards the insurance Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Geoff

Post #699041 29th Aug 2024 9:35am
Eastsoutheast

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Santorini Black

The first one is so much nicer inside VS the 2nd one. 2012 4.4 TDV8 Vogue Santorini black ivory leather

Post #699045 29th Aug 2024 9:56am
Vogue

United Kingdom 

Odd isn’t it - I actually prefer the second one - the interior is more of a gentleman’s car compared to the SV, I’m not keen on quilted white seats - they remind me of sleezy footballers with no taste. 2021 L405 Vogue SE 4.4 V8 DIESEL ~ #17

Post #699061 29th Aug 2024 2:04pm
supershuttle

England 2013 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Luxor

That’s a decision for the OP you could say one has RSE, as mine has, trouble is it’s never been used in my years of ownership. No kids but now I look for steps to help me and SWMBO get in and out Rolling with laughter and oddly enough a towbar so I wouldn’t chose either of the models highlighted. I assume Smith2 is more able bodied than we are - sadly most folk are nowadays. Geoff

Post #699066 29th Aug 2024 3:15pm
MPx

United Kingdom 2017 Range Rover SVAutobiography 5.0 SC V8 Waitomo Grey

Yes we certainly all look for different things. No steps would rule them out for me. But I think they both have a towbar don't they? If not another no-no. I much prefer the diamond quilt and thats heightened by being a lighter interior - I'd prefer all light rather than two tone but that wasn't available on the SVs unless you went off piste for mega-bucks options. Light cabin with dark seats in the SC not as bad as all black but still too depressing for me - I've seen plenty of SCs with light interiors so no need to have two tone in one of them unless its a preference.

I've not driven a 5.0 L405. The SVA drives much better than the L322 5.0 SC - lighter/faster/better handling - but still plush and wafty. Where it counts in "normal" driving is passing slow traffic on A/B roads. You can do 40->very fast almost instantly and be past the traffic in a very short straight perfectly safely. The SC also good at that but not as good. Neither spec is a track day weapon! Mike - MPx

2017 5.0 V8 Supercharged SVAutobigraphy Dynamic SVO Palette Grey (2021-...)
2012 5.0 V8 Supercharged Autoboigraphy Orkney Grey (2017-2021)
2007 4.2 V8 Supercharged Vogue SE Tonga Green (2012-2017)
2002 4.4 V8 Vogue Bonnatti Grey (2008-2012)

Post #699076 29th Aug 2024 5:10pm
smitht2

United Kingdom 

Thanks for comments. Long day driving today to a) test drive SC at Carlisle and b) relocate to Edinburgh overnight to be ready to test drive SVAD in the morning! Update so far:

SC test drive was good! First time for me in a L405, so lovely experience in terms of quality and luxury, a big step up from my Volvo V90! The car felt much newer than 5 years old, and was in great condition even though it hadn’t been through official dealer prep yet. I went on a round trip of local rural roads, potholes included, and also some M6 motorway, joining and accelerating at speed, overtakes etc. I was conscious of not going excessive on speed, and felt like I barely scraped the surface of the power on tap. And engine was effortless, didn’t really hear it at all. Goes back to my original post that I am not looking for loony performance, and choosing V8/petrol more about lower mileage, shorter trips and avoiding DPF/dilution/complexity of engine system.

So, you might ask why the heck and I driving the SVAD tomorrow with more performance focus, and the honest answer is “ ‘er indoors!” Shocked When reviewing the short-list of cars, she thought the SVAD looked more modern with its grill, and she preferred the wheels and the lighter interior. So 100% nothing about 565HP, SVAD etc. Smile But I’m sure I’m not alone that a Happy Wife is a Happy Life! Hence I’m here in Edinburgh to try it out in the morning!

On a separate note, I will say even though I knew the exec seating eat into the interior boot space, I was surprised how much the folded seats took up at the front of the cabin. The top of the folded seats was about to the level of the window sill, so a significant gradient and loss of space. That said, clearly the boot is still massive, and no issue getting the 1 tonne bags of garden waste this, or any car has to be able to carry to the local tip.

Feedback on Carlisle dealer is good. I set out really clearly that I was committed to driving their car AND the one in Edinburgh, and they didn’t try to pressure me otherwise. They could tell I was a committed purchaser, having driving all the way to see them, and onward travel to the other car. Also I’d prepped my Volvo for sale so it was in tip-top condition, including re-furbing damaged alloys, so it really is in retail condition - obviously not for LR main dealer, but making it a no-brainer for a part-ex value to pass onto the trade.

So, thanks again for the comments, and I will update after seeing the SVAD tomorrow, and hopefully having made a decision!

Toby.[/list]

Post #699086 29th Aug 2024 9:43pm
Tdtj

Scotland 2016 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Santorini Black

Was just going to have a look at both,the one in Carlisle says expired advert or no longer available?? 2016 4.4 diesel

Post #699087 29th Aug 2024 9:50pm
Martin2

England 

The SC has been removed from Autotrader? I thought maybe you’d bought it, but clearly not… MY23 Panamera E-Hybrid
MY19 SDV8 Autobiography - Sold

Post #699088 29th Aug 2024 9:50pm
smitht2

United Kingdom 

I think it is ‘cos they’ve removed the SC from sale for 24 hrs until I confirm tomorrow lunchtime whether I want to take the car or not. I’ve not put a deposit down, but the Sales mgr said re: taking off sale today, so I think this is why its down from AT.

Post #699091 29th Aug 2024 10:51pm
Mr Tee

Scotland 

Interested on feedback, I’m looking at buying an svad blind due to distance .

Post #699096 30th Aug 2024 7:10am
smitht2

United Kingdom 

Update 2

For me it was a No to SVAD. Went in a long test drive and car was solid. BUT. I struggled to get comfortable in the seat. Sounds ridiculous right with 24 way adjustments etc. but for me the seat was the sporty side of comfortable - they are sports seats I believe.

I tried every switch, relaxed lumbar etc, got out and back in, sales guy tried stuff. But just not comfortable for me.

I’m 6’1, 16 stone so not Giant Haystacks, but I am quite broad across the chest/shoulder and I think this was my issue vs shape of seat. Last suit I bought I was a 48” for reference.

Or perhaps is a style thing and someone else identical shape would like the seat as being sporty, supportive etc.

I was v disappointed!

But other thing I’d say is that when I opened rear driver side door to get my stuff out to drive off, I noticed the leg room seemed tiny, and not just because of the RSE screen. Something seemed v different compared to yesterday’s SC. I sat in back of that after the test drive and had loads of room. I would only have just squeezed into the SVAD in the back. But I didn’t linger as I’d just said No to the sales guy and needed to set off home.

I’ve not taken the SC either yet as my wife decided she couldn’t get over the black wheels. Sales guy says he can get them painted for me. So I need to look into if I think there is a colour that might go with the exterior paint/trim combo.

The SC is back on AT, so I’d welcome views about wheel colour - grey?

Hope this is helpful.

Toby

Post #699126 30th Aug 2024 4:17pm
Mr Tee

Scotland 

Sounds like I need to fire down to Edinburgh for a drive too . Thanks for the feedback .

Post #699128 30th Aug 2024 4:48pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>