Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Technical (L405) > I'm now a Regeneration trainee nerd--lol
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 24 of 24 <123 ... 222324
Print this entire topic · 
Spridget

United Kingdom 2015 Range Rover Vogue SDV6 Corris Grey

After much research and crawling around I've established that mine is a single turbo model so that might explain the unused exhaust temperature sensors. Typically I've ordered 2 new sensors and a tool for fitting them. Rolling Eyes

Post #693467 28th May 2024 8:11am
Spridget

Quick update: Regens seem to be back to normal now and triggered at just under 20g soot with about 170 miles between regens. One fault that I did find was an almost completely blocked MAP sensor. Would this stop a regen from happening I wonder. 🤔

Post #693785 2nd Jun 2024 6:58pm
lambo911

United Kingdom 2016 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Barolo Black

I have been running the Car Scanner app for a while now and have made some interesting, well to me anyway, observations.

My car is a 2016 4.4 SDV8 that has done 87000 miles

1. If I drive locally, short distances then I can end up seeing the soot climb quickly to 23g and a regen occurring from as little as 80 miles
2. On a motorway run, driving at 80-90, the soot still climbs, albeit slowly because the engine isn't under any load, so it still does a regen every 200 miles or so
3. When I am towing a Brian James Race Transporter, and pushing the engine, the soot goes down of it's own accord and after several trips adding up to 500 miles the soot level was 5g

I noticed that after the towing, and going back to my normal driving, it took much longer for the soot to build up. Maybe when the engine is working hard and clearing the DPF it is doing it far more effectively than a regen?

During a regen cycle, you only need to drive at a normal pace for it to work, you don't need to be going quickly or using many revs. i do make sure I try and avoid being stationary, so there is a flow of cold air going under the car.

The short journeys are also impacting the service interval a lot, some local driving and and a 130 mile trip to Gatwick and back, during which a regen occurred, a total of 225 miles reduced mileage to next service by 798 miles. 2016 AB SDV8 Barolo black
2019 AB SDV8 Santorini black

Post #695847 9th Jul 2024 4:35pm
Spridget

I monitor every regen now and my soot climbs at 1g increase per 10 to 11 miles during average journeys. Regen starts at 18.8g on the dot and miles between regens is about 160, more on a long run.
I would be an ideal candidate for an electric car because all my journeys are planned in advance to fit in with expected regens. Rolling Eyes .So planning charging points would be no problem.
Not much chance of an EV though, my next one will be a supercharged before they make it illegal.

Post #696171 14th Jul 2024 1:27pm
luxmoggy

Germany 2019 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Montalcino Red

https://www.fullfatrr.com/forum/topic70608.html

After reading the above thread, I thought I would add a comment on this tread. Since they replaced my DPF over 2 years ago. I have only used Shell V Power.

My regens are 750km apart. I think that 16g soot was the highest I have seen. Most regens the soot is between 10g-14g. I do wonder if the fuel has anything to do with this. SDV8 AB MY 2020
MINI Cooper S Cabrio
Kit: Jaguar XK140 (in progress - the website is link to build)

Post #696173 14th Jul 2024 2:24pm
Mikeerhymes

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Stornoway Grey
Re: I'm now a Regeneration trainee nerd--lol

Kot wrote:
So being a retired Engineer, I couldn't let it rest.
It annoyed me that I had no control of oil dilution and no idea when the car was in Active Regen, I needed a cheap fix

Thanks for all the information Kot, I’ve joined the monitoring club! In hindsight knowing what I do now, I would not have gone down the SDV8 route. Having moved on from the L322 TDV8 after 7 faultless years I thought it was the obvious choice keeping with the ‘same’ 4.4 engine…

Post #696320 16th Jul 2024 6:03pm
Kot

United Kingdom 

Oil is cheap Rolling with laughter Its still a bloody good engine,just the DPF architecture is poor.
Surprise there isn't another class action for oil dilution! 2018 SE SDV8 4.4 Byron Blue

Post #696407 17th Jul 2024 10:54pm
Spridget

So After almost a year of soot monitoring I thought the time had come to let it do it's own thing, stop being fanatical and just check occasionally that all is well. After a longish run when a regen should've happened I had a little peek and of course it had sailed past the 18.8g of soot where it always starts and into the 20s. After trying every trick in the book to get it to start and soot climbing relentlessly towards the amber triangle zone I pulled into a layby to look for a suitable branch to do a Basil Fawlty impersonation, Big Cry " Right you B......d you've gone too far this time, I'm going to break out the iCarsoft LRV3 and see if it really can force a regen. You'll be sorry!" Just as the car stopped, the soot started to drop and after almost causing a pile up on a very busy A1 I managed to re join the traffic and it did a textbook regen. Miles to 0, soot to 4g.
I'm sure I heard sniggering coming from behind the dashboard but the moral of the story is that these things cannot be trusted. They just do what they like and we must watch them like a hawk. My latest ploy is to be nice to it until I can justify changing it for a 15mpg petrol one....which is maybe what I should've bought in the first place. Confused

Post #697237 1st Aug 2024 4:18pm
Kot

United Kingdom 

Rolling with laughter 2018 SE SDV8 4.4 Byron Blue

Post #697245 1st Aug 2024 10:59pm
Silverstone

United Kingdom 2016 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Loire Blue

I haven't looked for a few days at the readings and today it says soot is 17.25% and its been 268 miles since a regen. In fact, this will be my first regen as I have only had the car a few weeks. At the weekend the car had a good 40 mile run including motorways so hopefully it would had regen'd if it needed to (but has not).

The fuel tank is half full - shall I take it for a 20 minute dual carriageway blast later to try and trigger a regen?

Also, I have selected the dashboard on Car Scanner Pro to show:
1. DPF Soot
2. DPF distance since last regen
3. Engine Oil Temp
4. DPF Regen
5. Exhaust Gas Temp Bank 1, sensor 3
6. Exhaust Gas Temp Bank 1, sensor 4
7. Average time between RF Regen
8. Av. dist between PF regens

However, it will not show numbers (4) DPF Regens, (7) Av dist between regens and (8 ) av distance between PF regs. Instead the displays says for these items 'not selected'. This is all working through a Vgate iCar Pro Bluetooth 4.0 (BLE) on a 2016 L405 4.4 SDV8. Any suggestions why I cannot get the readings for (4), (7) or (8 ) please?

Thank you in advance.

Silverstone "There is no replacement for displacement" - W O Bentley

Post #697250 2nd Aug 2024 8:53am
Spridget

I can't get those readings either. I've tried several different profiles and the one I find best is Jaguar F Pace. My car is TDV6. You're doing well to get that sort of miles between regens. Mine are mostly 150 to 200 miles and regens are usually 18.8g soot on the dot but occasionally it will go into the 20s. I think the Amber alarm comes in at 24.5 but could be wrong. What triggers a regen is still a bit of a mystery to me. Sometimes a fastish run in Sport mode does it but other times it'll start at 25 mph. I find that Sensor 2 on bank 2 gives the best steady reading but yours may be different.
Beware of becoming obsessed with it. My Granddaughter was amazed that I managed to make a spreadsheet with all the data of past regens on it and I suspect that my wife is bored stiff with looking at the screen when a regen is due
We'll wait in eager anticipation for feedback on your first regen.
Cheers
Pete

Post #697274 2nd Aug 2024 6:24pm
4RRS

United Kingdom 2016 Range Rover SVAutobiography SDV8 Corris Grey

Here's a pic of my DPF Monitoring on a run down to the French Alps, passive regens carried on to 750 miles when it triggers on max mileage, soot was at just over 4% at that point. In the UK I normally get 350-500 miles between regens. I had a problem a while ago and it used to regen every 150 miles. Went through everything DPF related before biting the bullet and changing the DPF, sooty tailpipes were the giveaway!

Been perfect ever since. L405 SV Autobiography LWB SDV8, finished in Aston Martin China Grey by ETO division.

Post #697279 2nd Aug 2024 7:11pm
Silverstone

United Kingdom 2016 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Loire Blue

Finally lost my regen cherry tonight. After 335 miles of mainly short commutes and a few motorway runs it finally regenerated at 20.5 % soot. Very satisfying watching the temp rise to 600 degrees C and numbers tumble. Took about 12 miles/ 8-9 minutes to complete though.

Now I know it's about 20.5% soot for regen in my car I'll keep an eye on the levels as I approach 20% so that I don't have a part failed regen.

Thank you fellow Regen Nerds for your help. Many happy 're-burns!'

Silverstone

Silverstone wrote:
I haven't looked for a few days at the readings and today it says soot is 17.25% and its been 268 miles since a regen. In fact, this will be my first regen as I have only had the car a few weeks. At the weekend the car had a good 40 mile run including motorways so hopefully it would had regen'd if it needed to (but has not).

The fuel tank is half full - shall I take it for a 20 minute dual carriageway blast later to try and trigger a regen?

Also, I have selected the dashboard on Car Scanner Pro to show:
1. DPF Soot
2. DPF distance since last regen
3. Engine Oil Temp
4. DPF Regen
5. Exhaust Gas Temp Bank 1, sensor 3
6. Exhaust Gas Temp Bank 1, sensor 4
7. Average time between RF Regen
8. Av. dist between PF regens

However, it will not show numbers (4) DPF Regens, (7) Av dist between regens and (8 ) av distance between PF regs. Instead the displays says for these items 'not selected'. This is all working through a Vgate iCar Pro Bluetooth 4.0 (BLE) on a 2016 L405 4.4 SDV8. Any suggestions why I cannot get the readings for (4), (7) or (8 ) please?

Thank you in advance.

Silverstone
 "There is no replacement for displacement" - W O Bentley

Post #697661 8th Aug 2024 9:09pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 24 of 24 <123 ... 222324