Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Maintenance & Mods (L322) > Deployable steps bracket replacement
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Swithins

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Autobiography 4.2 SC V8 Buckingham Blue
Deployable steps bracket replacement

I managed to break the drivers side rear bracket on the retractable side step a while ago. I’ve finally found a metals expert who can make me a new one if I can get one for him to make a mold from. Taken the steps off the other side and can’t figure out how to get the bracket off. No videos on the net on how to do it. Has anyone here removed them?

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
 Current:
1999 SL500
2006 Mini One Chrome wrapped
2008 FFRR 4.2sc

Post #692902 18th May 2024 3:10pm
woodrjh

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Buckingham Blue

I just discovered that these are available as spares on AliExpress.com in China.

If you search for one of the part numbers, it they will show up.

LR004809 - Front Left
LR004810 - Front Right
LR004811 - Rear Left
LR004812 - Rear Right.

My rear right has stuck, so I've just ordered one, around £70 inc delivery and VAT.

I'll let you know how I get on once it arrives, due in a week or so.

Cheers,

Rick

Post #693250 24th May 2024 2:25pm
Swithins

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Autobiography 4.2 SC V8 Buckingham Blue

I saw that, but decided to try locally in case of any fitment issues Current:
1999 SL500
2006 Mini One Chrome wrapped
2008 FFRR 4.2sc

Post #693277 25th May 2024 7:31am
woodrjh

Well, it’s arrived. Ordered on the 22nd May, arrived today 31st.

Click image to enlarge

Looks ok, minor differences from the OEM. Is going on the car tomorrow, so I’ll know more one it’s fitted.
Click image to enlarge

Post #693689 31st May 2024 2:39pm
tj196443

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Zermatt Silver

Be interesting if this works or not, the other l322 we have in the family has a broken bracket too so we are on the look out to replace it.

Post #693757 2nd Jun 2024 7:40am
woodrjh

It’s on the car now and it’s working well. I have already replaced the front bracket on that side and I’ve never seen the steps move as smoothly since I got the car 3 years ago.

The bracket is not quite identical to the old one, as the two small side covers are missing. I swapped the old ones over, which needed a different short screw (M6) and drilling out with a 6MM drill, but they fitted fine.

I tried to soak fair bit of oil into the pivot points before fitting, and will try lubricating them more often to keep them working.

They may in the long run turn out to be as bad as the old ones, but for now, given that they work, are available and not a rip off price, I’d recommend them.

Cheers,

Rick

Post #693804 3rd Jun 2024 3:05am
tj196443

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Zermatt Silver

Thanks for the update, probably worth a try.

Post #693805 3rd Jun 2024 6:30am
bearhouse

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 V8 Santorini Black

How did you remove the motor assembly from the original bracket setup? I've removed all the bolts but it won't come apart. I've tried hitting the motor shaft and started to damage it. But, I still wont come apart. Does it need a hydraulic press or is there a trick to get apart. I've thought about buying a new motor to fit to the new bracket but again if a hydraulic press is required, that will be a problem.

Any feedback appreciated.

Post #693816 3rd Jun 2024 10:51am
woodrjh

When I replaced the front bracket, I have a small 12 ton hydraulic press, but it broke the bracket as I was pressing the motor out.

It was very stiff in the bracket, and I suspect some corrosion was causing it to bind, so penetrant spray may helpful.

I think that careful use of a suitable saw/drill/grinder to remove the bracket metalwork from the motor shaft may work.

There's a small wedge shaped piece of metal held in by a hex head bolt that must be removed first. Once that's out of the way, then grinding away enough material to weaken the bracket should allow the motor to be removed.

Cheers,

Rick

Post #693820 3rd Jun 2024 11:27am
woodrjh

As for removing the bracket, it's a little fiddly, but not difficult.

There is a 13mm head bolt securing the bracket to the underside of the car, and two 10mm head bolts that fit into the slots. There is an 8mm head bolt on the actuating rod that joins the front to the rear brackets, one at each end.

I found that having the brackets in the deployed position made access easier. Turn on the steps and open the door. There is a way to force the steps to deploy permanently. I'm not 100% sure, but if you open the door to deploy the steps, press and hold the button in the overhead console and turn on the ignition, the light will flash either two or three times. I can't remember which is which, but one of them keeps the steps out, one allows normal operation. There is another one that allows you to prevent operation of the steps, but I can't remember how. I'm sure the information can be found elsewhere in the forum...

Or you can just leave the door slightly ajar... but be very careful. The motors are powerful and may crush body parts that get in the way.

Another sure way is to deploy the step and then disconnect the motor cable. Take your pick!

Remove the actuating rod first, then remove the 13mm bolt. The remaining two 10mm bolts can be reached with a normal 10mm spanner, but you may need to keep reversing the spanner offset as the bolt heads are difficult to reach. You don't need to remove the 10mm bolts, just loosen them and slide the bracket off.

When refitting I fitted everything up loose, then tightened the actuating rod to allow the brackets to position without strain on the rod, then tightened up the rest.

This may move the position of the bracket on the car, so you may need to adjust the position of the sliding fittings in the step. There is a little bit of adjustment available in the brackets themselves as the hex head bolts that hold them on fit into slots in the brackets. My sliding fittings are seized on, and won't budge, but I didn't need to move them in the end.

Cheers,

Rick

Post #693853 3rd Jun 2024 5:27pm
bearhouse

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 V8 Santorini Black

Thanks Rick for all the help and advice.

I was going to try cutting my old bracket apart but then a complete assembly appeared on eBay so I bought and collected it yesterday.

I've listed the Chinese bracket on eBay. Hope I can my money back.

Regards,

Terry.

Post #693902 5th Jun 2024 7:35am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1