Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Maintenance & Mods (L322) > Hidden LED bar
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Faukstad

Norway 2012 Range Rover Autobiography TDV8 Santorini Black
Hidden LED bar

Has anyone installed a hidden LED bar behind the grill on their L322s?

I've seen it on various american pickups and suvs, even on Isuzu D-max's, but never on a Rangie..

Post #655522 3rd Feb 2023 9:35pm
Phoenix

United Kingdom 

There isn't a lot of room, you'd also need one of the curved ones to maximise the space.
I fitted four smaller ones, the light output isn't that useful in terms of boosting the coverage (but it does somewhat), it is good for the 'instant on' effect, missing from the high beam fill-in lamps since I changed them to HiD's
As ever, photos of lighting don't accurately show the brightness.

The LR badge does get in the way a bit.... should be OK if you can find something the right depth & profile to fit in the top part of the grille only.

Post #655525 3rd Feb 2023 9:52pm
Faukstad

Nice!
You wouldn't happen to have a pic with the grille off?
I've been trying wrap my head around how to fit them.

Also, how have you done the switching on and off? I know disco3's have an OEM switch available, with a small panel that fits next to the instrument cluster. Don't know if that would fit in the L322 though. Kinda doubt it actually. Razz

Post #655526 3rd Feb 2023 9:55pm
Phoenix

United Kingdom 

I'll take one tomorrow - I made the mounts from Aluminium registration plates, the 3mm stock sheet I had was too thick to fold properly, the bottom is drilled to take the bumper fixing screws, at the top, I drilled out a blind rivet on the crossmember / slam panel and made the length between folds ~3mm short so the mounting plate would be pulled tight between the fixings.

These are the lights www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0BL2JLVCZ
The switching is just a relay in the engine bay envirobox with the ground fed back into the cabin to a switch mounted on the footwell kick panel, the trigger is picked up from the high beam supply to the right headlamp.

The switching probably won't satisfy construction & use regs as it's not easily accessible nor does it have a visual indication of it's state - but it works and the lights are out of the way enough for the MoT tester to not lose any sleep over it.

Post #655531 3rd Feb 2023 10:39pm
Faukstad

Cheers buddy, appreciate it.

Post #655532 3rd Feb 2023 10:42pm
ikjos

Norway 2012 Range Rover Westminster 4.4 V8 Santorini Black

I gave up the idea about hiding the LED-bar, went fully visible instead Cool

----------------
2012 - L322 Westminster
QRV @ LA2VSA / DA1AA

Post #655559 4th Feb 2023 9:54am
wayneg

Australia 2007 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Java Black

Not convinced hiding auxiliary lighting is a good idea. If you need extra lights get them up and unobstructed. On my previous TD6 I made up custom brackets for a light bar at the top of the grill. I still have the bar but would fit with a numberplate bracket if I decide to fit it.

2007 TDV8 VSE
2003 TD6 gone.
2002 P38a gone
1999 P38a gone
1997 p38a gone
1993 VSE gone
1992 VSE gone
1966 Series 2a with V8 conversion gone

Post #655563 4th Feb 2023 11:31am
Phoenix

United Kingdom 

If it were more than just 'fill in' whilst the HiD's got up to full output, I'd agree. I accept there will be some losses & diffusion and I wouldn't suggest it has a function other than short range flood lighting.

Anyway, @Faukstad, heres my mounting brackets. As mentioned, made from Aluminium registration plates. I cut some retangular holes to allow the mounting boss to pass through and ground down some of the cooling fins so that I could use the supplied fixings to hold them in place, the socket head set screws are at an approximately 20 degree angle, set by allowing the plate to cover the mounting hole by about 1mm, which in turn is determined by how much you grind/file down the cooling fins. It's a bit of a bodge, it works though, the lamps are solid on the mounting plate.

In terms of adjustment, I used a spirit level on the front of the lamps to set the tilt and a straight edge side-to-side to set the forward facing angle. Adjustment was coarsely set when the plates were bolted down with 'tweaks' done by twisting the plate and allowing to relax, repeat until you're happy.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Post #655582 4th Feb 2023 3:40pm
Faukstad

Tidy job there Phoenix.
I might go for something similar myself.

I'm also thinking the Autobiography grille might be better for letting light through?
Allthough I remember from science class in high school that light bends around a grille as waves/ripples bend round a rock in a pond.

I'll give it a go an see what comes out of it.

Post #655612 4th Feb 2023 9:17pm
Phoenix

United Kingdom 

Thanks, it's not bad - I knocked up one side between paying jobs on a Saturday, the measurement and trial fits took the time, the other side is just a mirror so you don't need to re-measure everything.
I did contemplate pushing the LED's closer into the grille and experimented using duct tape to hold them in place. I found that there was more direct obstruction than having them set back, but what light did get through was 'sharper'. My aim was to add some 'instant on' short range fill-in lighting. As I mentioned above, it's more diffuse than would be if there was no grille in the way and some loss of light output, cosmetically I prefer it, but if it were my old L319, I'd have a big pair of spots up front above the winch mount....

ETA - yes, the AB grille would be better, for a start you'd be able to avoid the LR badge, I spaced the lights to line up with the bulges in the grille, clearly with the AB one you'd be free to group them closer together and avoid lighting up the back of the badge.

Post #655615 4th Feb 2023 9:36pm
wayneg

Australia 2007 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Java Black

If you look at the photo of my old TD6 you will see the main light bar but also there are two lower down on the bumper the same as Phoenix`s lights. The lower ones were switched separately and angled outward slightly outward, used as trail lights. the main bar was wired with a remote control relay so could be switched from inside or outside of the car. The light output was massive

2007 TDV8 VSE
2003 TD6 gone.
2002 P38a gone
1999 P38a gone
1997 p38a gone
1993 VSE gone
1992 VSE gone
1966 Series 2a with V8 conversion gone

Post #655640 5th Feb 2023 12:34am
Cam-Tech-Craig

England 2015 Range Rover SVAutobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

wayneg wrote:

Ive sold tonnes of these to van owners who lease their vans... That way they can fit & remove them without any long term damage...

Fitted lots to D4's but not to a FF as yet...

Post #655642 5th Feb 2023 12:40am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1