Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Technical (L322) > Differences "Frame" Range Rover Lm/Disco3&5
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Defenderfan

Differences "Frame" Range Rover Lm/Disco3&5

Hello,

i have some technical questions about the two new aged Land Rover Models the RR Lm since 2002 and the New Discovery since 2005.

1. What i know so far is, that the RR uses a full Unibody construction with some strenghtening parts whily the Disco3 combines a kind of unibody with a kind of classical frame - in both cases i would like to have some pictures, because the frame parts of the D3 are not related to the Defender or Range P38 afaik.

2. I am wondering why LR decided to get back on the frame with the D3 was it because of financial reasons because frame based SUV#s are cheper to design (i heared that the Lm was very expensive for Land rover to design).

Or was it because the complete Unibody was not tough enough for real offroad abuse? I know there is an amoured version of the LM directly from LR which has a gross weight rating well over 4.000Kg which is pretty heavy so it does not sound like the RR LM could be any less tough than it's younger small brother, but on the other handy LR decided to get back to the frame AND the D3 is as heavy or heavier than the bigger RR.

Thank you all for any answers and have a nice week![/list] Greetings!

Post #64093 15th May 2011 9:55pm
mattstevenson2005

United Kingdom 2003 Range Rover Autobiography 4.4 V8 Java Black
Re: Differences "Frame" Range Rover Lm/Disco3&

Defenderfan wrote:
Hello,

i have some technical questions about the two new aged Land Rover Models the RR Lm since 2002 and the New Discovery since 2005.

1. What i know so far is, that the RR uses a full Unibody construction with some strenghtening parts whily the Disco3 combines a kind of unibody with a kind of classical frame - in both cases i would like to have some pictures, because the frame parts of the D3 are not related to the Defender or Range P38 afaik.

2. I am wondering why LR decided to get back on the frame with the D3 was it because of financial reasons because frame based SUV#s are cheper to design (i heared that the Lm was very expensive for Land rover to design).

When Ford owned Land Rover they designed the T5 platform, this is what the Disco 3/4 and RR Sport is built on, when they designed the platform it was intended to be used for all replacement models e.g. defender etc... When BMW owned Land Rover it cost them almost 1 billion pounds to design the L322 Range Rover so yes it was very expensive!

Defenderfan wrote:
Or was it because the complete Unibody was not tough enough for real offroad abuse? I know there is an amoured version of the LM directly from LR which has a gross weight rating well over 4.000Kg which is pretty heavy so it does not sound like the RR LM could be any less tough than it's younger small brother, but on the other handy LR decided to get back to the frame AND the D3 is as heavy or heavier than the bigger RR.

Thank you all for any answers and have a nice week![/list]

The monocoque chassis (unibody) is much stronger than any separate body/chassis design, the new Range Rover Evoque and soon to be released 'NEW' full size Range Rover both use Jaguars new 'spaceage' monocoque chassis platform as it provides increased strength and lower weight than any other chassis design.

As i explained before when Ford built the Disco 3/4 and Range Rover Sport they wanted to use there new T5 chassis platform for all future Land Rover designs which is why it is designed as a separate body and chassis design so that the same chassis can have multiple different bodies. When Land Rover re-design the disco and RR Sport they will dropping the T5 platform as it is far too heavy in a time when they are trying to loose vehicle weight to increase economy levels, and all new models will be based on the new Jaguar platform.

Hope this helps!

Matt

Post #64099 15th May 2011 10:46pm
Defenderfan

Hello,

thank you very much for the fast&detailed answer!

Ok the part about the T5 plattform beeing cheaper and easier to adept seems absolut reasonable for me.

But is the elder RR LM really stronger compared to the D§/4/Sport? Its not that i do not trust the BMW/Jaguar engineering, but most peaople consider frames to be the stronger solution when it comes to offroading vehicles.

SUV's like the BMW X5 or Volkswagon Touareg are all in all not considered really offroaders because they feature a pretty light built unibody, so is the Unibody of the LM so much different? I read about something that the LM uses some kind of frame-like barts upside down it's body, so maybe this makes the big difference to the Rest of the unibody suvs.

Greetings Greetings!

Post #64137 16th May 2011 11:29am
Defenderfan

No one else anything about the Design?

Greets Greetings!

Post #64938 20th May 2011 12:57am
S1NGH

Kenya 

Click on the link below and take a look at the photos of an RRS with its body lifted, might have to register to view pics (rrs chassis virtually the same as D3, only difference is length). You can see that its a monocoque body attached to a ladder frame. Probably the strongest Land Rover chassis.

link: http://www.aulro.com/afvb/d3-d4-rrs/129096...arged.html

Post #65074 20th May 2011 4:52pm
Defenderfan

Hi,

Nice pics, was looking for some of those for a while! But i always thought the Lm and the T5 plattform are somehow different? So the T5 really is just a shortened LM?

Greetings Greetings!

Post #65188 21st May 2011 5:51pm
S1NGH

Kenya 

The LM platform is completely different - a pure monocoque, without the ladder chassis that the T5 platform incorporates. The T5 is like a double chassis.

RRS and LM322 are related only in name. The RRS is really a posh D3.

Post #65192 21st May 2011 6:54pm
Defenderfan

Hi,

so now i am a little confused, which Design is the all in all tougher construction? The Lm with the monoquocque+the frame parts below, or the combinational T5 plattform? Kinda an old question, is the most expensive or the youngest best?

Greetings Greetings!

Post #65298 22nd May 2011 7:42pm
mattstevenson2005

United Kingdom 2003 Range Rover Autobiography 4.4 V8 Java Black

What are you planning that needs the max strength of a chassis??

The LM monocoque design has an extraordinary torsional stiffness of 32,500Nm/degree - take a look at this video to see the strength of the T5 platform

Matt

Post #65315 22nd May 2011 10:16pm
Defenderfan

Hello,

thank you very much for this Information! Its just that i want to understand why the company decided to went half a step backwards from complete to semi-body.

The videao is also very interesting, but it does not actually compare anything, maybe each of the other vehicles would have done the same job as well, we do not know.

So the numbers are much more interesting, if there is this one method of measuring the ability to resist torsional forces. So 32,500NM/degree fpor the RRLM, now it would be very interesting how mich it is on the Discovery or even more interesting how much let's say on a Land Cruiser V8 (VDJ 200) which is the most modern competitor but also using a frame.

Greetings Greetings!

Post #65339 23rd May 2011 9:27am
GKP

United Kingdom 2003 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Cairns Blue

One of the reasons for 'going backwards' was to make it easier to manufacture two different vehicles but sharing as many of the components as possible, thus keeping costs down. Not sure you should be reading this bit.

Post #65347 23rd May 2011 10:30am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1