Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Technical (L322) > Vibrations???
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Ludzy

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Vogue SE Supercharged Zambezi Silver
Vibrations???

Recently I have noticed vibrations from under the car when when driving 50 mph +. The steering wheel is solid and there are no vibrations felt through it. You can feel it through the front footwells. I put it down to the 22" alloys that are fitted because on different road services the vibrations get better or worse. I dont think it's all because of the alloys I just think it makes the vibrations more or less noticeable. Also maybe related or not but sometimes it it seems like the car breaks on it's own??? It's hard to explain. Maybe abit like engine breaking if that makes sense. Only when I'm accelerating slightly. I've read abit about getting the autobox oil changed. Would this help? And what kind off price would I be looking at?

Cheers Ex FFRR 4.2 Supercharged

www.thecarpetfitter.co.uk

Post #63847 13th May 2011 9:32pm
Gazellio @ Prestige Cars

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover SE Td6 Zermatt Silver

I think its the Alloys both size & balance - all (lots of) Rovers vibrate through wheels/tyres that are not standard and well balanced. You feel the vibration at high frequency through the floor & tunnel numbing legs on long journeys and annoying the crap out of you Big Cry

Post #63855 13th May 2011 10:47pm
paul_h_8

2002 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Bonatti Grey

Could be a sticky caliper or atleast worth a check 

http://gallery.me.com/paul_harland/100010

Range Rover Vogue TD6 2002 "52"
Bonatti Grey

Post #63873 14th May 2011 7:53am
Ludzy

Gazellio wrote:
I think its the Alloys both size & balance - all (lots of) Rovers vibrate through wheels/tyres that are not standard and well balanced. You feel the vibration at high frequency through the floor & tunnel numbing legs on long journeys and annoying the crap out of you Big Cry

I like the look of the 22" tigers but sometimes the vibrations do my head in!

paul_h_8 wrote:
Could be a sticky caliper or atleast worth a check

how do I check this? When braking the car stays straight and doesn't drift left or right. Ex FFRR 4.2 Supercharged

Post #63886 14th May 2011 9:16am
Emperor Mong

United Kingdom 2019 Range Rover Autobiography 2.0 PHEV Loire Blue

How to check for a binding caliper:

Go for a fast drive. Wait for vibration. Coast into a layby with minimal braking. Go round the car putting your hand by the wheels. You'll feel more heat coming off one of the discs. You'll also smell cooked brake pads. you've now found your problem caliper.

Post #64038 15th May 2011 4:12pm
Ludzy

Emperor Mong wrote:
How to check for a binding caliper:

Go for a fast drive. Wait for vibration. Coast into a layby with minimal braking. Go round the car putting your hand by the wheels. You'll feel more heat coming off one of the discs. You'll also smell cooked brake pads. you've now found your problem caliper.

Really that simple then. Thought it would be abit more technical. Anyway I'll have a blast tomorrow and see.

Post #64068 15th May 2011 6:46pm
Ludzy

Well I don't think its a caliper. No great heat from any of the wheels. Just at kwik fit now getting air con gased and thought I'd get wheels balanced aswell but apparently there machines cant handle 22" wheels so gonna have to go to a commercial tyre place.

Post #64183 16th May 2011 4:49pm
Rob2529

United Kingdom 2004 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Oslo Blue

How are your brakes? I had quite a bit of vibration through the steering wheel and floor. Thought the floor was down to warped rear discs and the steering due to the a speed sensor. Changed the front discs and all gone bar a small vib which I think is now down to the rear discs being shot.

Post #64226 16th May 2011 10:09pm
Ludzy

Rob2529 wrote:
How are your brakes? I had quite a bit of vibration through the steering wheel and floor. Thought the floor was down to warped rear discs and the steering due to the a speed sensor. Changed the front discs and all gone bar a small vib which I think is now down to the rear discs being shot.

Yeah brakes are fine. Never had trouble stopping Very Happy Very Happy

Never had any vibrations through the steering wheel just the footwell. I'll get the wheels balanced and take it from there.

Post #64229 16th May 2011 10:37pm
Rob2529

United Kingdom 2004 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Oslo Blue

I never had a problem with mine but only when they were off did I see how Censored they were. My pads were vertually new as dealer had changed before I got it but the discs were in a bad way. If the wheel balancing doesn't work might be worth a look.

Post #64249 17th May 2011 8:53am
Gazellio @ Prestige Cars

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover SE Td6 Zermatt Silver

Yup Balancing then Discs then shafts...(Shafts unlikely)

Post #64251 17th May 2011 10:04am
stan
Site Moderator

Location: a moderate moderated moderator moderating moderately in moderation

United Kingdom 

wheel balancing problems arise at 50mph'ish and 80mph'ish and normally only at those speeds...if your vibration starts at 50 mph and carries on upwards then its a mechanical problem be it drive shafts , wheel discs or possibly the transfer box....it could also be the servotronic valve on the steering shaft thats causing this, do you have problems with heavy steering on slow manoeuvring after a fast run...

Post #64256 17th May 2011 10:42am
Ludzy

cant say I've ever noticed heavy steering. Vibrations definitely start at 50 and carry all the way up. As mentioned earlier tho depending on road service the vibrations do differ but always feel it from the footwells never the steering wheel. Car feels fine sitting in the back, not that I do that often! Ex FFRR 4.2 Supercharged

Post #64289 17th May 2011 2:40pm
RRUK
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 2019 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Santorini Black

9 times out of 10 vibrations are wheel related.

I once had a set of wheels that seemingly were never balanced well, no matter how many times I took them back. The problem lay with the tyres themselves, they were heavy in one part and made the vibrations.

The fact you run 22" wheels adds another dimension, the larger the wheels generally the more likelya ride problem.

Keep us posted. Would be interesting if you could swap to a std size wheel for a wheel to compare. Discovery 4 HSE
1998 110 TUM HS FFR Hard Top XD WOLF
1982 Series 3 Hard Top

*Gone:L462 D5 HSE LUX, L663 Defender 110 HSE, Discovery 3 HSE, 2014MY Range Rover Sport 5.0 Supercharged AB Dynamic; L405 Exec Vogue SE 4.4, 5.0 Supercharged Autobiography, Defender TDCi XS CSW, Defender TD5 HT, Vogue SE TDV8, Vogue TD6, RRSport SC 4.2V8, Classic 3.9 Vogue Auto, Land Rover Series 3 SWB

Post #64291 17th May 2011 2:56pm
Ludzy

well just got back from the tyre place. Got the front 2 balanced. Both were out by about 50g. Started on the back wheels and the bloke found that my drivers side rear tyre was completely shredded on the inside!!!! Said it looks as tho the cambers out??? I cant see how any thing on the inside would rub against the inside of the tyre. There seems plenty of gap/room. Maybe the tyre was like this when I bought it. If so I will be contacting the dealer as the car went through a check list before sold and tyres are on the list. Anyway ordered a new tyre for tomorrow but now I gotta sort the camber out??? Or at least see if it is that. I have a basic knowledge of camber and alignment but not 100%. How would you tell. Wheels seem straight to the eye. Would this be a garage job? Tyre bloke says this would be the main cause of the vibrations. So front wheels are balanced. Feels even worse now on the way home. Maybe it's just me???

cheers Ex FFRR 4.2 Supercharged

Post #64302 17th May 2011 4:30pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>