Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Maintenance & Mods (L322) > Bleeding the ABS........
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Grizzly

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Vogue SE Td6 Bonatti Grey
Bleeding the ABS........

Hi all.

I'm looking for a little help.

I have a 2006 L322 TD6 (facelift), so it failed its MOT on the hard brake pipes (shocker) and i've just spent the last few days replacing most of the brake system (master Cylinder, all the hard pipes, all the soft pipes, all four calipers disks and pads).

So i'm sure you know where this is going........ i have spent two days now bleeding the brakes using a pressure bleeder, suction bleeder, good old fashioned pump the foot pedal bleeding and it's still going to the floor with the engine running.

I have done a fair bit of searching and come to the conclusion i've got air in my ABS that doesn't want to come out. I currently don't have any type of scan tool and was thinking of buying a Bmw V1.4.0 PaSoft scanner from Ebay but i keep reading it won't work with the later 2006 facelift L322's?? Can anyone tell me if it does connect/has the ABS actuating option?? or if not is there another option without driving it?? (the brakes are sketchy to say the least at the moment)

Sorry if this is an old well-trodden subject, usually i can find the answer with enough searching but i was not expecting to struggle this much with the bit that is usually straightforward....... i can only imagine it didn't like being dry.

On the up side my handbrake works really well now Very Happy

Thanks,

Chris

Post #623780 15th Feb 2022 2:44pm
Caesium

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Vogue SE 4.4 V8 Santorini Black

Any ABS system I have ever worked on has required a diagnostic tool to open the valve block and allow air through it.

If you're getting a sinking pedal then no amount of bleeding is going to remove the air without opening the valve block from what I have seen.

IID tool is the only one that ever seems to get a mention on here. Autel also do a tool which will open most ABS blocks, I used a DS808 to bleed my 2003 Shogun. Christian.

Current Cars
2011 Range Rover Vogue SE
2020 BMW M4 Competition
2019 BMW X4

My RR Blog: www.facebook.com/L322Project
or
https://www.fullfatrr.com/forum/topic61540.html

Post #623892 16th Feb 2022 3:10pm
Grizzly

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Vogue SE Td6 Bonatti Grey

Thanks for the reply.

I read that the abs unit was designed to be bleedable in the normal way but from what I've seen upto now and after putting 2lt of fluid through it a couple of times now i guess not. So i have ordered a cheap scan tool and if that doesn't work i'll get a IID.

Post #623903 16th Feb 2022 4:38pm
RRYorks

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Barolo Black

Before you go any further, clamp off all the four flexi pipes and then see if the pedal is still soft, if it is you may have a problem with the ABS. If the pedal is hard, check the pistons in the callipers are tight against the pads, I had this problem after overhauling the callipers (I notice you fitted new) and the pistons were pulling back ever so slightly thereby giving a soft pedal as you were pushing the pistons out before they moved the pads 2010 3.6 TDV8

Post #623911 16th Feb 2022 5:24pm
maric995

Croatia 2006 Range Rover HSE 4.4 V8 Zambezi Silver

you can try to bleed abs unit by few hard stops on grass surface, this will activate abs but you won't put too much stress on the components, I saw that in the youtube video: LR time - discovery 3 - how we replace brake lines.

If I remember correctly, they bleeded all four calipers with regular method after that, so worth a watch and try Wink RR HSE 4.4 2006 LPG

Post #623971 17th Feb 2022 10:09am
cass

United Kingdom 

Or you could try operating the HDC

Post #623978 17th Feb 2022 11:59am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1