Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Technical (L322) > 1/2 a tank of fuel added and now I'm really confused 3.0 TD6
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
12ty

United Kingdom 
1/2 a tank of fuel added and now I'm really confused 3.0 TD6

Hi Everyone.

Hopefully someone can shed some light on to this situation as it seems to me beyond the laws of physics.

Removed the battery terminals the other day and left the vehicle over night as I hadn't finished my project with the battery disconnected. Knowing about the sensitivity of these batteries I took the opportunity to charge the battery over night whilst the terminals were disconnected.

Reconnected battery on Sunday and the car would not fire, it cranked over perfectly but just not ignite.
Tried to crank engine with the fuel filter out pipe disconnected to see if I had flow through the filter and nothing. Reconnected and tried once again and still would not start and got the message fuel injector system displayed.

Tried a 9L vacuum pump on the filter inlet pipe from the fuel tank and could not fill the pipe just sucking air. Confused

Searched within Fullfatrr.com and found some interesting info on the tank being split level and a pump is used to balance the levels out.

Waheyy I thought if I can just get it started and prove it is this issue. I went and fetched some diesel for my tank which is currently 1/4 on the fuel gauge. 25 litres later and the tank is now 1/2 full on the gauge and I still can not get a full pipe of diesel using the vacuum pump only air. Confused

So I wondered if the ignition has to be on to open a valve of some kind in case it has a self bleed thingy. Used the vacuum pump again and still cant get a pipe full of diesel only air is being drawn through using the vacuum pump.

I also thought maybe by sucking it from the engine bay would never work because of a bleed system and the pump has to do the work and no other way will prime the system? (Will wait for responses to see if this is possible before I go and crank for a period of time)

I do have a replacement fuel pump (the one that sits under the panel rear near side wheel) to put on the car but until I understand this equilibrium situation with the tank I did not want to mess any further.

I have not checked the solenoid again due to air in fuel pipe, it is this that baffles me. I am confused and need help and enlightenment from the many wizards on this site please. Confused

Please Please help as I am fed up of driving my wife's car to work. Crying or Very sad

Post #582139 2nd Feb 2021 6:01pm
Siftah

Spain 2011 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Stornoway Grey

No idea if this will help but...

(On a 2011 4.4 TDV8)

After running out of fuel, it took approximately 20 seconds of running the starter until it fired up. No priming was needed (not even sure if that's possible).

Post #582145 2nd Feb 2021 6:40pm
D3Jon

United Kingdom 

Not been working on the air-bags have you?

Not totally sure in the case of the TD6 (but would think it's the same), but on the V8 petrol L322 the fuel pump supply is cut if the contol module thinks there's been an air bag activation (instead of having an inertia switch).

Can you hear the fuel pump running?

Jon 1992 RR Classic 3.9 efi Vogue
2014 Disco 4 HSE
===================
Both my fatties now gone...
Previous: 2011 L322 4.4 TDV8 Vogue SE /// 2002 L322 4.4 V8 HSE /// 2009 Discovery 3 2.7 TDV6 XS /// 2004 Defender 90 TD5 /// 1993 110 V8 Snatch Landrover /// 2005 Discovery 3 2.7 TDV6 SE (Aus) /// 1990 110 Isuzu 3.9 County (Aus) /// 1976 Series III Trayback (Aus)

Post #582147 2nd Feb 2021 6:43pm
mjdronfield

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Buckingham Blue

When the side pump, near the sill, failed on my TD6, the engine just spun over with no fuel coming through the filter.

I’m not an expert.... but I’d fit your new one, and remove it from the equation.

Thumbs Up 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE 4.4 TDV8

Previous cars :
2003 Range Rover Vogue TD6
1999 Discovery Td5 ES
1995 BMW M5 3.8 6 speed
1992 Range Rover 3.9 Efi Vogue
1992 BMW M5 3.8
1988 BMW 735i SE
1989 Ford Sierra XR4x4 2.9i
1981 Ford Fiesta Supersport

Post #582153 2nd Feb 2021 7:18pm
12ty

United Kingdom 

Hi, thanks for the responses, Thumbs Up

I will change the fuel pump today and check the relay and fuse in the boot. As said at least this is eliminated then.

Not liking the sound of the air bag cutting of the fuel pump, oh cripes, is this a dealer reset or something I can do with my Icarsoft. I read all your comments late last night and went outside to check the air bag module and I had no fault codes but in the live data it had 2 things.
it was worded funny but something like this.

passenger seat - no occupancy
passenger seat map fault - No fault

I was hoping this is picking up no passenger in the control unit and therefore would not activate passenger airbags in case of emergency.

Anyhoo I will have a go shortly at the fuel pump and see how I get on and post back later if my wife will let me back in the house if I dont stink of diesel. I am envisaging that 25 litres from yesterday is going to be all over me later Crying or Very sad

Post #582205 3rd Feb 2021 10:06am
24valve

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Autobiography Black TDV8 Santorini Black

Siftah wrote:
No idea if this will help but...

(On a 2011 4.4 TDV8)

After running out of fuel, it took approximately 20 seconds of running the starter until it fired up. No priming was needed (not even sure if that's possible).

That is the case on the Td6. ours has a slight problem where if it gets below about a quarter of a tank, it'll cut out and wont restart. If you put a load of fuel in it to over half way, it takes a good strong battery and a lot of cranking to get it to fire up - but once it does, its fine. 2010 L322 Autobiography Black Edition
1975 Land Rover

Post #582216 3rd Feb 2021 11:59am
12ty

United Kingdom 

Hi Thanks everyone who responded to this post, I have now resolved the issue and learnt a lot of info about the fuel supply from the tank and how intelligent the pump is.

Banging Head I could not get my head around how can I try and suck fuel from the filter line and get air. To me that can only be insufficient fuel in the tank Banging Head

After I removed the fuel pump cover and saw the 5 way valve it kind of made sense how trying to vacuum the fuel up the line from the tank is not necessarily going to draw the fuel when its an easier option is for the vacuum I am creating to draw air from the fuel return line of the 5 way valve.

I changed the pump, removed the filter outlet line and switched the ignition on, I could hear the pump run but still nothing coming out of the filter. Tried this three times and then reconnected the filter out line.
After putting the ignition on again after a few seconds the tone of the fuel pump changed slightly but continued to run for 30 seconds approx. Off on with ignition and tried to start and Wahhhheyyy Bow down

I can only assume the pump runs and creates a minimal amount of pressure up to the filter and then it equalizes somehow.

My old pump is clearly a very worn part as when shaken you can hear a slapping inside the pump as if worn parts and hence why it gave up.

I have found a picture of the little 5 way valve Part no. 9289A which shows the two fuel return lines and the two fuel in lines and the line to the filter into and out of the valve.
It does not show the pump which is located a few inches form the side with 3 outlets

Thanks to every one who contributed. Thumbs Up What may seem obvious to one does not always appear obvious to others.
Thanks to your help I am now sitting here feeling quite smug with myself, not just for fixing my car but for not covering myself in diesel Very Happy

http://cat.lrparts.ru/?category=42357

Click image to enlarge

Post #582253 3rd Feb 2021 5:08pm
12ty

United Kingdom 

By the way do not break the little valve when changing the pump.

£250 quid from JLR Thud

https://parts.jaguarlandroverclassic.com/wjp000530-tube-fuel.html

Need a little Burglar emoji with the black mask over his eyes whenever a comment is referring to a stealer / burglar Rolling with laughter

Post #582255 3rd Feb 2021 5:27pm
mjdronfield

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Buckingham Blue

Got there in the end. Nice one.

The AA came out to mine when without warning it wouldn’t start. He pulled the fuel feed off the filter and got me to spin the engine over.... nothing. He banged the pump near the sill, and we repeated, fuel came out.... then stopped. Once I swapped the pump, all good.

Thumbs Up 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE 4.4 TDV8

Previous cars :
2003 Range Rover Vogue TD6
1999 Discovery Td5 ES
1995 BMW M5 3.8 6 speed
1992 Range Rover 3.9 Efi Vogue
1992 BMW M5 3.8
1988 BMW 735i SE
1989 Ford Sierra XR4x4 2.9i
1981 Ford Fiesta Supersport

Post #582256 3rd Feb 2021 5:36pm
D3Jon

United Kingdom 

Pleased you got it sorted!

Worst fuel related issue I've had to fix was on my 110 County, factory fitted with a 4.0L 4BD1 Isuzu truck engine (Australia had 'em, but a rarity even there).

After a challenging day off-roading south of Perth, the reliable old girl started playing up on the 200Km drive back, spluttering and mis-firing a lot. Obviosly fuel related.

Got her home eventually and after changing numerous parts including the mechanical fuel pump, filters, pressure regulator body, it turned ou that the plastic front to back fuel line had become pinched between the body and chassis during some extreme manouvers.

Took a lot of head scratching over a few days together with running around the block directly off a jerry can full of diesel to establish there wasn't a problem with the engine or the mechanical fuel pump attached to it.

You live and learn. 1992 RR Classic 3.9 efi Vogue
2014 Disco 4 HSE
===================
Previous: 2011 L322 4.4 TDV8 Vogue SE /// 2002 L322 4.4 V8 HSE /// 2009 Discovery 3 2.7 TDV6 XS /// 2004 Defender 90 TD5 /// 1993 110 V8 Snatch Landrover /// 2005 Discovery 3 2.7 TDV6 SE (Aus) /// 1990 110 Isuzu 3.9 County (Aus) /// 1976 Series III Trayback (Aus)

Post #582299 3rd Feb 2021 10:41pm
12ty

United Kingdom 

Hi D3Jon

Thats sounds like it was a right Censored to find. Must have been satisfying though when you discovered it.

That would have driven me mad a few years ago. I have always tried to steer away from getting to involved in cars, my passion is motorbikes.

However since I purchased my first Range Rover two years ago 2003 TD6 with full service history and one owner and 67k on the clock which had stood still for 18 months prior to me buying it, steering clear of cars is no longer an option. Rolling with laughter

I used to buy used Italian bikes from an importer in Lincolnshire a few years ago in between Market Rasen and Cadwell I think.
Moto Morini 3 1/2 Sports or Trez a Mezzo

I love Lincolnshire, a beautiful part of the Country.

Post #583994 16th Feb 2021 1:15pm
D3Jon

United Kingdom 

Hi 12ty,

Yeah, it was satisfying, but I'd changed so much of the fuel system to find the problem, concentrating on the mechanical and electrical bits, it was a true Doh! moment. I never dreamt that the fuel line could be pinched to the point of blockage!

Not into bikes myself, but respect the engineering involved. Some great bike roads around Lincolnshire, especially around Cadwell and over the Wolds, but the cops are very much on the lookout for bikers having a blat these days!

L322's are without doubt one of the finest cars on the road, your TD6 should give you sterling service!

Jon 1992 RR Classic 3.9 efi Vogue
2014 Disco 4 HSE
===================

Post #584064 16th Feb 2021 6:52pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1