Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Maintenance & Mods (L322) > URGENT HELP please - loud bang and dropped suspension
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Print this entire topic · 
mrblonde

United Kingdom 2003 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Adriatic Blue
URGENT HELP please - loud bang and dropped suspension

Was about to jack the TD6 up to check for an annoying knock, so got in, closed door, went to raise the suspension, light flashed as it was raising (took ages, much longer than usual) then stayed illuminated at top position, turned ignition off to get out and then an almighty BANG!

Got out, both front corners are lower than ever (cant even feel between tyre and wheel arch), and both rear corners are higher than ever, i mean really jacked up, 2 or 3 times higher than it should be in off road position.

Any advice please guys?? Am desperate

Last edited by mrblonde on 1st Oct 2018 11:28pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #490616 1st Oct 2018 11:11pm
dolph34

Ireland 2015 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Corris Grey

The bang would make you think it was an suspension airbag 2015 4.4 AB
GSXR 1000 K5
R1 1998

Post #490617 1st Oct 2018 11:17pm
mrblonde

I thought that too, but it looks as though both fronts have dropped to their absolute minimum, if 1 bag had gone id of expected one corner to drop?

and any idea why the back is now jacked up so high? Theres probably 12" or more between top of the rear tyre and the rear wheel arch? (on both sides) in fact, the rears look over inflated

Post #490618 1st Oct 2018 11:21pm
dolph34

I'm far from an expert so take my thoughts on that basis Thumbs Up but have you check the bags or for an air leak first and then worry about the height at the back. 2015 4.4 AB
GSXR 1000 K5
R1 1998

Post #490619 1st Oct 2018 11:25pm
mrblonde

sorry dolph, bombarding you this time of night mate Embarassed

not checked for any leaks, as to be honest dont know how to, when i tried to lower it to access mode after the loud bang, you could hear air hissing (but not overly loud).

i wasnt sure if there was any valves that could of given way, causing a loss of air to both front springs? or even if the supply air line may of blown off where it joins the bags

Post #490622 1st Oct 2018 11:40pm
dolph34

No problem , nothing worse than not knowing what the problem is. If it was mine i would start it and trace the leak , good chance it a front bag if the front is down. To find the leak its simply a case of listening for the air and that will hopefully help diagnose the issue.

bags can leak from the unfolded area once extended ( in off road height) as that's where the rubber can perish. 2015 4.4 AB
GSXR 1000 K5
R1 1998

Post #490623 1st Oct 2018 11:49pm
mrblonde

Just been out and checked, tried to raise the car and you could hear a loud hissing of air from front passenger side wheel arch, and my mate could see the airbag start to inflate then deflate again.. so guessing it’s a new bag needed (will do both fronts together)

I think I read on here to get Delphi air bags, where’s best place to order them from? And should I change just the bags or buy the whole bag & strut assembly?

Will be refurbishing the compressor while I’m at it too... Crying or Very sad Rolling Eyes

still can’t work out why the back is so high in the air though??

Post #490625 2nd Oct 2018 12:59am
dolph34

They seems to be differing opinions on the different brands of bags, personally i use OEM quality but wouldn't buy Land rover branded goods BUT thats me, others on here with way more experiance swear by genuine. Each to their own. Probably best to change both bags if you are keeping the car long term, again personal choice and your available funds.

Glad you have found the issue anyway Thumbs Up 2015 4.4 AB
GSXR 1000 K5
R1 1998

Post #490633 2nd Oct 2018 8:11am
Grofus

Ireland 2007 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Zermatt Silver

Delphi are good quality
Dunlops knock after a while so avoid them
You can just buy the bag but most feel that a new strut with damper is the way to go.
Its a bit of a faff stripping and reassemling the strut but not difficult. You tube videos show how its done.
Whatever you decide do both sides the same.
Good luck

Edit : German made bags here https://aerosus.net/ 2007 Vogue TDV8 in Zermatt Silver with Charcoal

Post #490637 2nd Oct 2018 8:45am
mrblonde

Thanks Grofus.... ended up ordering Delphi complete units so hoping they arrive for the weekend. Saw the videos on YouTube so looks fairly straightforward

At present the RR is 6 miles from home, it’s front dropped like P Diddy`s low rider, it’s @rse high up in the air, guessing easiest way to get her home is with the AA on a recovery truck? Any idea why both front corners would be on the deck if only one bag burst?

Post #490657 2nd Oct 2018 12:38pm
John w

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Autobiography Black TDV8 Barolo Black

If you get in and start it, can you not drop the rear down to normal or even access height ?
My concern would be leaving it at that height may damage the rear bags.

If it is only 6 miles from home I would be tempted to get it sitting more even, and then drive it home. Worst case your driving on the bump stops that is not particularly comfortable, but not a problem at a slow speed. Too many toys, not enough time

2011 4.4 TDV8 AB Black

Post #490673 2nd Oct 2018 1:54pm
mrblonde

Hi John W
I did try last night to lower or level the suspension, but to no avail. I did wonder why it wouldn’t level off, was hoping someone may know why? Or if the bags work in series or on their own? (Trying to figure out why both front corners have collapsed, and why the rear is so bl00dy high up in the air)

I moved her about 10 metres last night and it was a real struggle, she has 22” alloys and it feels as though the tyres were scrubbing on the inner wheel arch liners

Post #490676 2nd Oct 2018 2:17pm
DMRR

South Africa 2009 Range Rover Westminster TDV8 Stornoway Grey

Check the compressor connections - you have two, one to the front, one to the rear. Make sure they are both snug. Worst case (and be careful) is to disconnect them - this will bring the whole system down to the bumpstops - there is a LOT of pressure when you release them without an IID to depressurise though - so be VERY VERY careful Smile Land Rover Addict
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Previous
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
2009 5.0V8SC Autobiography
2006 4.2V8SC Autobiography
2004 4.4V8 Vogue

Post #490677 2nd Oct 2018 2:23pm
mrblonde

2 connections on the compressor itself? Will it be easier to move on all 4 bumpstops? I really dont fancy driving it at all so hoping the AA will recover it back for me

Post #490687 2nd Oct 2018 4:14pm
John w

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Autobiography Black TDV8 Barolo Black

driving it on the bump stops is not an issue as long as you do it at reduced speed (i.e. 30mph max).

The only problem with having the back in the air is reduced front clearance, reduced rear visibility, and the increased chance of getting pulled over.

I wouldn't suggest trying to pull any of the air pipes, this is very dangerous. If you can't do it via the car itself or an IID tool, leave it as is.

I am unclear exactly what the valve arrangement of the L322 suspension is, but it looks like there are front and rear valve blocks. These should have valves for each corner, plus a valve from the reservoir valve block, plus another that vents to atmosphere. This allows each corner to essentially be connected to pressure in (from reservoir) or dump out (to atmosphere).
The front valve block is in the front rh wheel well, behind the liner.

There is a separate reservoir valve block that controls air into the tank from the pump, or out to the front or rear valve blocks. This is next to the pump under the spare wheel. There is only one pipe to the reservoir.

It may well be when it went bang both the front valves were open, and it therefore dumped both sides on the ground faster than the control could detect and therefore close the valves.
Speculating here, but its the only way I can see both corners going at the same time, unless the front valve block itself has an issue. Too many toys, not enough time

2011 4.4 TDV8 AB Black

Post #490807 3rd Oct 2018 1:57pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>