Home > Technical (L322) > TPMS....again
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Print this entire topic · 
EDWARD757

2007 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Java Black
TPMS....again

Hi,
Whilst checking the tyre pressures, one of the valve stems snapped - brilliant choice of material - one that corrodes nicely with road salt,etc.
Anyhow, eventually bought and had fitted a replacement sensor.
"Tyre Monitoring system fault" warning which is to be expected whilst system learns to speak to new sensor - they are supposed to be self-programming.
I have just returned from a 20 minute run, maintaining above 12mph, just to provide the 15mins the system should take. Briefly at the beginning, the light did go out only to reoccur.
Any other ideas?
Kind regards,
Ed '96 Volkswagen Polo 1.4CL - SOLD
'00 Audi A3 1.8T - SOLD
'97 Lotus Esprit V8 - SOLD
'03 BMW M3 - SOLD
'93 Range Rover 3.9 Vogue SE - SOLD
'92 Peugeot 205 GRD - DIED
'99 BMW 540i Touring - SOLD
'94 Peugeot 405 GDRT - SOLD
'00 Peugeot 406 HDI estate - 63mpg! - SOLD
'08 Range Rover TDV8 Vogue SE - SOLD
'11 Skoda Fabia Greenline II - 94.2mpg!- SOLD
'07 E61 BMW 530d msport touring - SOLD
‘20 Tesla Model 3 SR+
‘20 Tesla Model 3 Performance

Post #45183 8th Jan 2011 11:24pm
T24RES

United Kingdom 

I had two replaced when i bought my car for the same reason. They told me that they needed to code them to the car. I assumed this was via their box of tricks. Ian

Post #45185 8th Jan 2011 11:26pm
EDWARD757

the sensors should self-programme after a 15min drive above 12.5mph...at least that is according to the supplier and what I read online...
TPMS - Tire Location
Because of the requirement for different pressure targets and thresholds for the front and rear tires, the TPMS module can identify the location of the tires on the vehicle, and assign a received tire pressure sensor identification to a specific position on the vehicle (i.e. FL (front left), FR (front right), RL (rear left) or RR (rear right)).

Tire location is performed automatically by the module using an auto-location function. This function requires no manual intervention by the driver. The TPMS module can automatically learn the position of tires on the vehicle if the tire pressure sensors or their positions are changed on the vehicle.

The tire learn and location process is ready to commence when the vehicle has been stationary or travelling at less than 12 mph (20 km/h) for 15 minutes. This is known as 'parking mode'. The learn/locate process requires the vehicle to driven at speeds of more than 12 mph (20 km/h) for 15 minutes. If the vehicle speed reduces to below 12 mph (20 km/h), the learn process timer is suspended until the vehicle speed increases to more than 12 mph (20 km/h), after which time the timer is resumed. If the vehicle speed remains below 12 mph (20 km/h) for more than 15 minutes, the timer is set to zero and the process starts again.

The TPMS module can automatically detect, under all operating conditions, the following:

* one or more tire pressure sensors have been replaced
* one or more tire pressure sensor identifications are missing
* one or more ‘alien’ identifications are being received, i.e. the module can reject identifications from tire pressure sensors that do not belong to the vehicle
* the spare tire and one of the tires in use on the vehicle have exchanged position on the vehicle.

If the tire pressure sensors fitted to the running wheels (not the spare) are changed, the module can learn the new sensor identifications automatically. The learn function requires no manual intervention by the driver.

If a new sensor is fitted to the spare tire, it must have its identification code programmed into the TPMS module diagnostically using a Land Rover approved diagnostic system or used on the vehicle as a 'running' wheel and the vehicle driven for 15 minutes at more than 12.5 mph (20 km/h).

Spare Tire Identification
Depending on the vehicle specification, the spare tire may or may not be fitted with a tire pressure sensor.

NOTE:
Tire pressure sensors cannot be fitted to space saver spare wheels.

If the spare tire is fitted with a tire pressure sensor, the TPMS module can detect it, determine that it is the spare tire and monitor its pressure and issue warnings to the driver accordingly. If the TPMS module expects the spare tire to be fitted with a tire pressure sensor and it does not, the module will not show a fault to the driver, however a fault code will be stored in the TPMS module.

If the spare tire is being monitored and the driver replaces a flat ‘running’ tire with the spare tire, the module will not continually warn the driver that the original flat tire (now in the spare position) is flat. This prevents distraction of the driver by constant pressure warnings being issued. The driver is reminded by a message displayed for 20 seconds at each ignition on cycle that the spare tire is flat.

System Operation
Each time the vehicle is driven, the TPMS module transmits a Low Frequency (LF) (125 KHz) signal to each initiator in turn. This is received by the tire pressure sensor which transmits a Radio Frequency (RF) (315 or 433 MHz depending on market) signal to the module. This signal contains coded data which corresponds to sensor identification, air pressure, air temperature and acceleration data.

The system enters 'parking mode' after the vehicle speed has been less than 12.5 mph (20 km/h) for 12 minutes. In parking mode the tire pressure sensors transmit a coded signal to the module once every 13 hours. If the tire pressure decreases by more than 1 lbf/in2 (0.6 bar) the sensor will transmit more often if pressure is being lost.

The spare tire sensor transmits a signal every 13 hours in the same manner as the road wheels when in parking mode. If the tire pressure decreases by more than 1 lbf/in2 (0.6 bar) the sensor will transmit more often if pressure is being lost.

As each wheel responds to the LF signal from the TPMS module, it is assigned a position on the vehicle and is monitored for the remainder of that drive cycle in that position.

When the vehicle has been parked for more than 15 minutes and then driven at a speed of more than 12.5 mph (20 km/h), the initiators fire in turn for 6 seconds on vehicles fitted with 433 MHz systems or for 18 seconds on vehicles fitted with 315 MHz systems in the following order:

* Front left
* 6 second pause (for the TPMS module to detect a response from the tire pressure sensor)
* Front right
* 6 second pause
* Rear right
* 6 second pause
* Rear left
* 6 second pause.

Each tire pressure sensor responds in turn so the module can establish the sensor positions at the start of the drive cycle. This process is repeated up to three times but less if the sensor positions are already known in the module. The process is known as 'Auto Location' and takes 3 to 4 minutes on vehicles fitted with 433 MHz systems and 7 to 8 minutes on vehicles fitted with 315 MHz systems to complete. During this period the tire sensors transmit at regular intervals, once every 5 seconds on vehicles fitted with 433 MHz systems and once every 15 seconds on vehicles fitted with 315 MHz systems. For the remainder of the drive cycle the tire sensors transmit once every 60 seconds or if a change in tire pressure is sensed until the vehicle stops and the system returns to parking mode.

Once the wheel position is established, the initiators stop firing a signal and do not fire again until the vehicle has been parked for more than 15 minutes. The signal transmissions from each wheel sensor continue at 1 minute intervals whilst the vehicle is being driven. This transmission is to monitor the tire pressure.

At 25% deflation the amber warning indicator in the instrument cluster is illuminated and an appropriate message displayed in the message centre.

Long winded but interesting...
Kind regards,
'00 Audi A3 1.8T - SOLD
'03 BMW M3 - SOLD
‘20 Tesla Model 3 SR+

Post #45186 8th Jan 2011 11:32pm
T24RES

United Kingdom 

Seems straight forward............ Laughing Ian

Post #45187 8th Jan 2011 11:38pm
p-trax

Japan 2011 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Santorini Black

Having not received my new vogue, I was not aware that a TPMS exisited.
I assume from this thread that this is now standard on all FFRRs?

So here's my question; can I have the sensors from the new stock wheels removed and installed in the aftermarket wheels I have purchased to have fitted post delivery? Gerry

Post #45303 9th Jan 2011 10:38pm
EDWARD757

Hi,
In theory you can. The company I bought the sensor from sell TPMS kits that include replacement nuts/seals that should be used everytime the sensor is moved. The certainly seem delicate though and frankly a pain. However I understand that some form of TPMS will be mandatory on EVERY new car from 2012 due to our friends in the EU.
Kind regards,
'00 Audi A3 1.8T - SOLD
'03 BMW M3 - SOLD
‘20 Tesla Model 3 SR+

Post #45304 9th Jan 2011 10:46pm
DMRR

South Africa 2009 Range Rover Westminster TDV8 Stornoway Grey

It is not standard fit. Land Rover Addict
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Previous
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
2009 5.0V8SC Autobiography
2006 4.2V8SC Autobiography
2004 4.4V8 Vogue

Post #45305 9th Jan 2011 10:49pm
Emperor Mong

United Kingdom 2019 Range Rover Autobiography 2.0 PHEV Loire Blue

Was standard on my 07 4.2 S/C

I have been told that if I fit a new set of wheels/tyres (thinking of winter tyres), then I need a dealer to link them to the car's TPMS. However, as I read thenabove, this is not the case.

I also noticed that they are no longer standard - optional on all my11 including autobiography spec.

Post #45308 9th Jan 2011 11:14pm
DMRR

South Africa 2009 Range Rover Westminster TDV8 Stornoway Grey

It's never been a standard fit. It's a factory *option*. If you bought a brand new vehicle, you will have to tick a box. If you bought 2nd hand, then the owner specified it at point of order. Land Rover Addict
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Previous
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
2009 5.0V8SC Autobiography
2006 4.2V8SC Autobiography
2004 4.4V8 Vogue

Post #45312 9th Jan 2011 11:49pm
p-trax

Thanks Thrasher, guess I don't have to worry then Thumbs Up Gerry

Post #45316 10th Jan 2011 12:00am
wardpg

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Java Black

Was standard on my 2008 vogue Se Ex D1, D2, D3 owner now 2008 TDV8 Vogue SE

Post #45326 10th Jan 2011 12:42am
Tim in Scotland

Location: Somewhere between here and there, if not then I'm all at sea or at home in Scotland

2010 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Stornoway Grey

It sure isn't standard on all FFRR's like Thrasher said it's optional on most - you can check if your new TDv8 has TPMS as standard by going to the Land Rover website and speccing up a car online - if it is standard then the configurator will not let you spec it.
Disclaimer..............I know that the LR website is not always spot on with the spec that you can ask for and dealers don't give out brochures these days - you have to get one sent out from LR Customer Services....... 2018 Mini Countryman Cooper S E All4 PHEV in Melting Silver - it’s whisper quiet in EV and polluter modes

Post #45330 10th Jan 2011 1:33am
SteveMFr
Site Sponsor

EDWARD757 wrote:
...due to our friends in the EU.
Kind regards,
Ed

Sounds like you're outside looking in. Or would that be the South Coast of Greenland? 
RRC 2Dr, RRC 4Dr,
P38, and 2 L322s
(wife thinks I'm nuts - prob right, too)

Post #45342 10th Jan 2011 9:16am
Emperor Mong

United Kingdom 2019 Range Rover Autobiography 2.0 PHEV Loire Blue

Thrasher wrote:
It's never been a standard fit. It's a factory *option*. If you bought a brand new vehicle, you will have to tick a box. If you bought 2nd hand, then the owner specified it at point of order.

I am pretty certain that it was standard on my 07 4.2SC Vogue SE. I am the first owner and I recall (perhaps imperfectly) that there was absolutely nothing that you could tick in the options box. Everything was already on it.

Post #45345 10th Jan 2011 10:14am
p-trax

final clarification from the dealer, not "standard fit"
£405 option on all current models

I was also told that not having it was definitely the right way forward, i didn't dig any deeper, but the body and facial language from the salesman seemed to imply it could be problematic Whistle Gerry

Post #45426 10th Jan 2011 6:06pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>