Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Technical (L322) > Novice Diagnostic Tool Questions.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Gyre8

England 2006 Range Rover Vogue SE 4.4 V8 Tonga Green
Novice Diagnostic Tool Questions.

I have an iid Gap diagnostic tool for my FFRR. This is the one that is navigated by the dash LCD panel. It's a bit 'clunky' to navigate menus and visibility of data, etc, seems poor.

I am thinking of purchasing a generic Bluetooth OBD port tool that uses the Torque Pro app on my Android handset.

I used a generic BT OBD device on my previous car and found the graphic outputs of live data on the Torque app on my handset to be very informative. And menu navigation was much easier. I believe I can still view and clear error code messages with the generic device and I can't see me messing with the EAS very much.

As a bit of a RR novice, would there be a considerable difference in the functionality between the two devices and what are they?

Your thoughts and experiences on this would very much be appreciated.

Post #441883 18th Jun 2017 12:59pm
Lukie

2002 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Zambezi Silver

before you give up on IIDtool my suggestion is to update it, sign into iidtool account it will allow you to link to a download

I have both IID non BT and BT the BT is better granted however now I updated the non BT it worked well even on a non registered car

torque app is and ODB reader it may read the engine codes and give nice graphical live data but functions are crap

from all the machine's / programs I have for range rover IID is one of the better systems

RSW allcoms (not bad for somethings but basic)
NAV Coder (great for bluetooth and LCM updates)
autel maxisys (good system but doesn't detect range rover's has a lot of stuff in there but not as detailed as others)
BMW scanner (I believe this is good for reprogramming dash clusters not got round to playing with it yet)
Carsoft (not really played with it, from what I have seen it reads most ECU's more than other systems)
IID (best by far for suspension work, I believe it can edit CCF's to but not got that far)

Post #442340 22nd Jun 2017 8:29pm
Gyre8

Thanks for the rundown Lukie.

I have bitten the bullet and purchased the GAP Diagnostic BT Tool. Bit expensive, but now, after research and help I'm convinced it's worth it.

Here's hoping it doesn't find loads of problems Shocked

Post #442348 22nd Jun 2017 9:02pm
Joe90

England 

So you didn't use/try the PC graphical option for the non BT IID Tool, this makes a big difference when your dash pixels are a bit wonky. Anyway too late now Thumbs Up .
Experience is the only genuine knowledge, but as time passes, I have forgotten more than I can remember Wink
Volvo V70 P2 2006 2.4 Petrol 170bhp Estate SE
MG Midget Mk1 1962

Previous: L322 Range Rover TDV8 3.6 2008; L322 Range Rover TD6 3.0 2002; P38A Range Rover V8 1999

Post #442352 22nd Jun 2017 9:07pm
Lukie

2002 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Zambezi Silver

I never did think of the with my non BT, do you get another program of there website for it?

Post #442355 22nd Jun 2017 9:28pm
Gyre8

Joe90 wrote:
So you didn't use/try the PC graphical option for the non BT IID Tool, this makes a big difference when your dash pixels are a bit wonky. Anyway too late now Thumbs Up

I did not know such software existed. Can you point me to where I can download it please?

Post #442362 22nd Jun 2017 10:57pm
Joe90

England 

If you have the updater on your PC/laptop from GAP, you already have it, an application called "Controller", it will be in the GAP/IIDTool Apps folder. Works on Windows XP/8/10.

Check out page 23 onwards of the IID Manual V3

Use the same USB cable that you use to update the IIDTool to connect PC when plugging IIDTool into car. Can be a bit hit and miss to get it to connect on occasion.

Here is a screenshot I took of recent activity (Ignore the Google Drive stuff!)

Experience is the only genuine knowledge, but as time passes, I have forgotten more than I can remember Wink
Volvo V70 P2 2006 2.4 Petrol 170bhp Estate SE
MG Midget Mk1 1962

Previous: L322 Range Rover TDV8 3.6 2008; L322 Range Rover TD6 3.0 2002; P38A Range Rover V8 1999

Post #442364 22nd Jun 2017 11:38pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1