Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Technical (L322) > FUEL TANK OVERFLOW SYSTEM
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
6029 king Stephen

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Rimini Red
FUEL TANK OVERFLOW SYSTEM

I wondered if there is a fuel tank overflow system on the L322 RR? The reason I ask is that yesterday I filled up my car and when I left the forecourt people in the taxi queue were pointing at the underside of the vehicle suggesting something was wrong. Our security advice here is not to get out of your vehicle just because people are pointing at something and instead drive to a safe place before investigating. The tank was full and the indicator was a few millimetres to the right of the full line indicating that it had been overfilled.

I stopped at a safe location and got out to investigate but couldn't see anything wrong. I returned home and parked up for the night. This morning I did not notice anything on my driveway such as dripping fuel etc. I drove to work and parked up with the vehicle leaning down a slope to the right hand side of the vehicle. A few hours later, a colleague called me to say that he saw fuel leaking from the fuel tank of the car. He suggested that I turn the car round to see if the leaking stopped. I did this so that the slope is now going downhill from the left hand side of the car. The dripping has stopped.

Does anyone know if this is a "safety" measure that prevents fuel tank from over expanding from an overfill at the pumps? I have never noticed this before but I suppose it could be normal?

Grateful for your views.

Steve

Post #349064 23rd Sep 2015 11:23am
Ziggy

Australia 

Jesus Kent has changed a bit sense I was last there Shocked Shocked

But to my knowledge there's no over flow its a sealed system

Ziggy "Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it."
George Santayana
Puts away his cloth cap and donkey jacket
Goes and sits in the naughty corner

Post #349076 23rd Sep 2015 1:01pm
6029 king Stephen

Thanks for the prompt - I have changed my profile to reflect my true location! Cameroon is not included in the list of countries on the drop down, hence why I have retained my country as UK but location as somewhere in Africa.

I'll have to monitor the fuel dripping. So far it only drips when the vehicle is parked on a downward right hand slope.

Steve

Post #349083 23rd Sep 2015 1:32pm
schan51

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Santorini Black

I had the same issue when I brought the 2008 TDV8 a few months ago. I normally fill up the tank and when it clicks, I would pull the petrol pump hose out slightly and round it off to the nearest pound, which I had done on all previous car without issue. I did this on the TDV8 and when I went to pay for it, the lady told me there was leakage from underneath the car but being a diesel it was safe to drive off.
I drove it home (17 miles away) and parked it on the driveway. The next day I noticed there was a wet patch on my driveway but since then it's been fine.

Post #349090 23rd Sep 2015 2:32pm
SMUTT

United Kingdom 2002 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Oslo Blue

In the Wiki you might like to check out the rave manual which has good illustrations and diagrams of the entire fuel system. This might give you a clue of what is above the point of leakage and potential source of problem. If you can't sleep at night then reading it will help you unless like me you like reading this sort of thing.

Also check the fuel pump replacement in wiki as there are some good photos by saintv8 when he replaced the fuel pump under the rear seats. Howard

Post #349091 23rd Sep 2015 2:40pm
Birdbrain

United Kingdom 2014 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Santorini Black

I had this problem with my 2008 V8 diesel Vogue SE. Its a fairly common problem (apparently). The full tank breather that runs from the tank to the filler cap neck gets crushed by the body work / chassis and leaks fuel out all over the place when you tank it right up. Luckily mine was done under warranty as it entailed removing exhausts and dropping fuel tank to fix. Main dealer recommended wrapping pipe insulation around the plastic breather pipe to stop it happening again. I flooded Sainsburys forecourt twice in a fortnight!

Post #349098 23rd Sep 2015 3:21pm
heppsen

Germany 2012 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Santorini Black

Sounds like breather line to me.
How hot was your ambient temperature?
Did the petrol come from an earth tank?
If petrol comes from a cold place ( earth tank) and goes into a hot fuel tank ( normal ambient temp in summer) it expands quite a bit, and if you brim the tank, it needs going somewhere - which usually is the breather.
Fuel creeps out and drips off....
Not too unusual in hot climate. Solution is not to brim the fuel tank in hot enviroenments.

I never experienced such things while this very vehicle was in my posession,
But then I am living at the baltic sea coast so not too hot a climate pver here.

Its worth checking nothing is broken in the fuel line setup, but I would
Not worry too much.

Regards
Heppsen 2017 MB V-Class
2016 Q7 (gone)
2012 FFRR TDV8
2012 Smart Pulse Turbo
1986 MB W126
1965 LR Series 2A
1961 LR Series 2

Post #349193 24th Sep 2015 4:32am
6029 king Stephen

I have never noticed this before but then in most of Europe you self-serve the fuel so you can stop filling on the second full click off. Over here all fuel is pumped by an attendant and some will fill up more than others. I had to stop one guy as he was trying to get in the last drop and I noticed that fuel was spill in on the floor. This most recent time the gauge is showing very much fuller than full, so I expect the excess has to go somewhere and until the gauge goes under the full mark, I will avoid parking on ground which leans down to the right.

I still love the vehicle and it is still the best car in the car park at work. I even get thumbs up from local lads walking along the roads. The black paint and blacked out rear windows seem to appeal.

Steve

Post #349238 24th Sep 2015 10:37am
MikeB.

Germany 2016 Range Rover Vogue SDV8 Santorini Black

I have exactly the same problem like birdbrain.

What exactly is need to be done?
Best regards
MikeB.

Post #551402 22nd Apr 2020 3:54pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1