Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > General > Service History - Deal Breaker ?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Charliecloud

United Kingdom 
Service History - Deal Breaker ?

Guys - I know that everybody has their own views on such matters, but just how important is a full service history and by that I mean that the car has been in to a dealer and had it's routine servicing carried out religiously oil,air,brake fluid etc and the service book stamped up, particularly on cars that are now 8-10 years old.

On the 3 cars that I have looked at closely all have had gaps as the car has been used less by the last owner.

If the ticks all the boxes in terms of model.spec, mileage etc would it put you off?

Post #306442 20th Jan 2015 10:09am
alanm_3

Location: my House, unless I’m not at home, in which case I’m somewhere else.

Scotland 2017 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

I certainly wouldn't be put off by a 8-10 year old car that still isn't being serviced by a main dealer. The slightly more worrying thing would be the lack of ANY service. RRs should be serviced annually regardless of mileage, so anyone who tries to tell you that the service warning hasn't come on, so they didn't feel the need to have the car serviced is kidding themselves on. Of course, there's a school of thought that only doing, say, 3-5k miles a year, does the car really need
serviced?

I guess it all comes down to how long the time between the services are and the mileage done in that period............ Got - 2017 SDV8 Autobiography in Loire Blue
Had- 2008 TDV8 Vogue SE in Java black
Had - 2007 S/C in Stornoway Grey

Post #306445 20th Jan 2015 10:17am
DaveK

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Vogue TDV6 Corris Grey

Judging by some of the crap services I've had carried out by main dealers on the various vehicles I've owned over the years, then I'd say that too much importance is placed on those magical stamps. Most of us will have been ripped off at one stage or another in our lives when the oil hasn't been changed yet charged for or the gearbox has not been touched.Even oil filters left and not changed .

I always aim to go by the general state of the vehicle, how it drives and how it sounds whilst taking those stamps with a pinch of salt.

Post #306447 20th Jan 2015 10:19am
stan
Site Moderator

Location: a moderate moderated moderator moderating moderately in moderation

United Kingdom 

if there isnt any service history for the last couple of years then i would hope to see receipts for parts or work that the previous owner has fitted/done ... ... - .- -.

click link for ,

FORUM WIKI

HOW TO Ǝꓕ∀ꓕOꓤ PICS

workshop manual downloads are in our wiki

Post #306448 20th Jan 2015 10:21am
appj62

England 2006 Range Rover Vogue SE 4.2 SC V8 Buckingham Blue

Even though I only do between 5000 - 6000 PA I get my vehicle serviced on an annual basis, by an indy! Previous cars:
S-Max 2007-2013 (only diesel I've had, good car but expensive when diesely bits go wrong, so what's the point?)
Galaxy 2001-2007
Mondeo Estate 1997-2001
Sierra Estate 1993-1997
Uno Turbo 1987 -1993
Fiesta 1984 - 1987
Fiat 127 1982 - 1984

Post #306458 20th Jan 2015 11:02am
birchyman71

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Java Black

Since buying my td6 4 years ago with no service history apart from a receipt for a replaced gearbox and an oil change I've had one service at an Indy and one at a main dealers , but everything else Including the last 2 services I've done myself and just kept all the receipts for the parts . But when buying a stamped service book is only a small part of what your looking at I pay more attention to condition, how it sounds and drives , and the lack of history is always a good bargaining point for money off .

Post #307342 23rd Jan 2015 11:57am
Weegie

Scotland 2008 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Stornoway Grey

I keep the receipts etc but also keep a notebook log of anything done with date, mileage and any comments. John
2008 Stornoway Grey 3.6 Tdv8 Vogue
2005 TD6 Java Black Vogue - Written off!!
GAP iiD BT
2003 Discovery TD5 Auto, Nanocom Evolution - gone to a new home!
MasseyFerguson 152 - No electronics!! - Sold

Post #307346 23rd Jan 2015 12:01pm
nicedayforit

England 2004 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Giverny Green

I wouldn't be too concerned about Service Record stamps, anyone can stamp up a service book to show a full service history. Whistle

Post #307353 23rd Jan 2015 12:20pm
ajac8

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Baltic Blue

essential whether main stealer or indy - i would not entertain no service or large gaps irrespective of miles travelled.

Personally I would suggest LR indy far more worthy than main stealer stamps. 405 AB exec seats Baltic and Cirrus
93 RR Classic efi

Remember it's easier to get forgiveness than permission!

Gone in order:
4.4 TDV8 SE - gone to a good home
93 Classic hard dash Plymouth Blue
03 L322 Oslo Blue
2000 Disco TD5 ES Epsom Green
98 P38 Rioja Red
89 Classic Cairngorm Brown

Post #307478 23rd Jan 2015 7:33pm
Alistair

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Santorini Black

alanm_3 wrote:
RRs should be serviced annually regardless of mileage, so anyone who tries to tell you that the service warning hasn't come on, so they didn't feel the need to have the car serviced is kidding themselves on.

Really ? Why ? What degrades that quickly these days ?

I've often wondered about the annual service thing - I do enough mileage that mine gets serviced anyway, but here's my logic.....

My car knows the date - it has a computer that tells it, so if the designers and engineers thought it needed an annual service, it wouldn't be hard for them to set that up with the service indicator.

The only person who tells me it should be serviced annually, is the person trying to sell me a service

Call me cynical.....

Post #307569 23rd Jan 2015 11:38pm
alanm_3

I'm probably the most cynical person I know, but if you read through past threads on here, you'll see that cars that don't have regular servicing, irrespective of mileage are prone to more issues that ones that are "looked after". Got - 2017 SDV8 Autobiography in Loire Blue

Post #307580 23rd Jan 2015 11:59pm
Monty1

England 2005 Range Rover Supercharged 4.2 SC V8 Rimini Red

putting the best oil in our cars at premium prices and regardless of the mileage done, it needs replacing yearly Rolling Eyes , does top grade oil really degrade so quickly, first year of owning the td6 we covered 5k miles when the service light came on, I don't believe for one minute that the oil had degraded after 5k, the torque converter destructed 6 months after we got it resulting in a gear box rebuild on a car with over 10k of receipts all serviced at the main dealer

tons of money spent on a car is good but if the owner treats it like Censored it can still be a bad one, the old adage applies, pays your money takes your chances

Post #307604 24th Jan 2015 7:46am
nicedayforit

Funny how people have a worry about changing engine oil annually irrespective however many miles the car has done in the year.
When I used to deal with diesel engined generators the oil was changed on the basis of hours run whether that was after 6months or two or three years. This was on the recommendation of the engine manufacturers and as far as I'm aware never caused a problem.

Post #307633 24th Jan 2015 12:17pm
alanm_3

I'm not worried about oil changes per se, it's the lack of regular servicing, which clearly goes beyond just changing the oil. Got - 2017 SDV8 Autobiography in Loire Blue

Post #307634 24th Jan 2015 12:23pm
nicedayforit

+1^ Thumbs Up
I would have said there's far more important things that require regular maintenance to keep the car in good serviceable condition than engine oil changes. If you have a mind too and possibly the ability you can certainly service a car to at least the standard of a Main Dealer, doesn't take a lot. Personally I prefer a bit more.
Of course you don't get the "Service Stamp" in the book but I just keep the service book up to date manually in far greater detail than a Stamp conveys. It's also worth keeping all receipts for items purchased for your own benefit and possible future buyers.

Post #307638 24th Jan 2015 12:46pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>