Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Technical (L322) > Split Coolant hose-Help
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Nappler

2003 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Java Black
Split Coolant hose-Help

Apoligies I posted this thread in the general section first(apologies mods please remove my other thread as it was in the wrong place)

Had a coolant hose split on me earlier, AA man said it was coming from a pipe at the back of the engine sort of level with the top of the V, on a BMW 4.4 V8, does anyone have a diagram of the cooling system one one at all?, it has been taken to a Land Rover dealership but am dreading it being a £5 hose with a huge labour bill!

Post #21305 30th Jun 2010 12:23am
dan_uk_1984

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Supercharged 4.2 SC V8 Tonga Green

You can replace it yourself with some standard hose (cant remember the diameter off the top of my head) It's a bit of a pain to reach to the back of the engine, but with the pollen filter housing out of the way there is a fair bit more room.

Any grease monkey should be able to do it for an hours labour if you dont want to get dirty. Whilst you're there, replace the PCV hoses too.

Dan 

Post #21307 30th Jun 2010 12:46am
brad s1

2004 Range Rover HSE 4.4 V8 Giverny Green
Re: Split Coolant hose-Help

Nappler wrote:
Apoligies I posted this thread in the general section first(apologies mods please remove my other thread as it was in the wrong place)

Had a coolant hose split on me earlier, AA man said it was coming from a pipe at the back of the engine sort of level with the top of the V, on a BMW 4.4 V8, does anyone have a diagram of the cooling system one one at all?, it has been taken to a Land Rover dealership but am dreading it being a £5 hose with a huge labour bill!

I don't have a diagram, but the part is actually 18usd at the dealer... It's a small rubber/plastic coupler that adapts the BMW quick release coolant hose to I believe the heater core at the back of the engine.

It is common for those to explode, the repair takes about 20 min, just about the easiest repair there is for the truck.

You need to remove the engine cover, then the pollen filter... At that point if you look towards the back of the engine you'll see the exploded coolant hose... Remove a hose clamp and a quick release, it pops out, replace with new and you're good to button it back up.

Post #21308 30th Jun 2010 12:50am
brad s1

2004 Range Rover HSE 4.4 V8 Giverny Green

Nappler wrote:

dan originally helped me on this when mine exploded... How goes it Dan, other forum drives me nuts, it's ridiculous Laughing

Post #21309 30th Jun 2010 12:51am
Nappler

Thanks for the info guys, it was dropped off last night at a LR dealership, I didn't want to risk driving it at all while dropping coolant so will wait for their phone call.
I have an invoice showing the PCV hoses have been changed within the last year which is a bonus, at least I know it's not a huge problem with the car now Very Happy

Post #21320 30th Jun 2010 8:59am
Nappler

There's apparantly also a leak from a gasket near the o ring at the back or something?, not too sure as I've not looked at these engines in great detail yet, I've been quoted £280 all in parts and labour from a main dealer, does this seem excessive for a hose change?

Post #21372 1st Jul 2010 1:32pm
dan_uk_1984

Nappler wrote:
There's apparantly also a leak from a gasket near the o ring at the back or something?, not too sure as I've not looked at these engines in great detail yet, I've been quoted £280 all in parts and labour from a main dealer, does this seem excessive for a hose change?

Really depends on what gasket and o-ring. PCV or coolant related?

When they replaced the PCV hoses, did they do all of them? There are 4. Usually only the easy 2 get replaced. 

Post #21376 1st Jul 2010 2:12pm
dan_uk_1984

brad s1 wrote:
How goes it Dan, other forum drives me nuts, it's ridiculous Laughing

I haven't been on there in ageeeees, I tried to come back but I couldnt control my outbursts at ignorant twunts. Where as on here people see more willing to a, help them selves and b, use the search button.

ViVa La FFRR.com! 

Post #21377 1st Jul 2010 2:18pm
Nappler

dan_uk_1984 wrote:
Nappler wrote:

Really depends on what gasket and o-ring. PCV or coolant related?

When they replaced the PCV hoses, did they do all of them? There are 4. Usually only the easy 2 get replaced.

Was definatly coolant related, I can't remember what the guy said regarding the o ring but I'm 90% certain he said cylinder head, not sure on the PCV hoses as the invoice for when it was done is in the car at the moment,it's not the end of the world money wise, I just hate those items where 90% of the job is labour!.

Post #21385 1st Jul 2010 5:02pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1