Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > General > Well I've lost my breakdown virginity.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
Prop

United Kingdom 

From my experience its unusual for the external pump to pack up while your driving along. it normally just wont start after you stop the car or go to use the car.

Out of curiosity how much fuel was in the tank when it packed up?

Post #185484 29th Apr 2013 1:48pm
Bushy513

United Kingdom 2003 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Monte Carlo Blue

Just under a 1/4 left in the tank. But I stuck 15ltr into it after breaking down assuming it could be just too low. I don't mind really if the part gets changed as its on warranty. However I agree it's probably going to be the in tank one too.
They might as well change it all IMO Bushy

2003 RR Vogue Monté Carlo Blue

Post #185492 29th Apr 2013 2:13pm
kingpleb

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Bonatti Grey

The intank one can be shown up when under about 1/3 of a tank if that load of fuel is in the side of the tank served by the balancing pump Sad

Easy to check by lifting the back seats up, removing the U braces for the seat frames and lifting the carpet up and removing the two tank covers. FFRR MY06 facelift With TDV8 Alloys Zeros/ATR's
Mantec Sump Guard, Rigid Load liner, MY10 BT upgrade.

Post #185495 29th Apr 2013 2:27pm
Prop

United Kingdom 

Mine started off playing up with a quarter of a tank and got worse, eventually as Kingpleb mentioned mine would play up with about a 1/3rd of a tank. When I got to see in the fuel tank it was obvious as the drivers side of the tank was pretty much empty while the passenger side was full to the top of the saddle. But I was lucky in that when it did run out of fuel it would start again if I just kept priming the pumps by turning the ignition on for a minute or 2 and then off again and repeat this several times. This always got the car going again although it did take a bit of turning over to get the fuel fed through. Then I would hit the nearest garage and fill up. The car ran perfectly while the tank had over a 1/3rd of a tank in it so it kind of diagnosed itself really.

Anyway if its under warranty I would push for both pumps to be changed, but as the intank pump is around the £300 mark they may just want to try the cheaper external pump first.

Post #185510 29th Apr 2013 3:47pm
kingpleb

Yip or just keep the tank filled up and dont let it go under 1/2 Smile FFRR MY06 facelift With TDV8 Alloys Zeros/ATR's

Post #185512 29th Apr 2013 3:52pm
Bushy513

Well it happened again today Big Cry , this time with the fuel light JUST coming on. lucky i was only 1/2 a mile away from where I needed to be. Wouldnt you know it I put 20ltrs into the car and after 5 mins it starts again!

I have sent the car back to the garage (LR main dealer) to have a look at the balancing pump this time, as from what you've all said it really sound like this is the culprit.

It's a bit of a pain in the ass, since I've already paid to have the low fuel pump and filter replaced..
The garage have said that if the balance pump is faulty, that I can have the labour from the first job back, but as the parts have been fitted they would be reluctant to refund the entire work.

I didn't really want to go down the keep it full of fuel route as you never know when your going to need the full tank of fuel. Bushy

Post #189766 22nd May 2013 8:54am
kingpleb

Any news bushy?? FFRR MY06 facelift With TDV8 Alloys Zeros/ATR's

Post #190207 23rd May 2013 8:34pm
Bushy513

It's still in the garage, apparently they can't find any problems with the car.
Needless to say its very frustrating, however I'll post news when I get it. Bushy

Post #190211 23rd May 2013 8:54pm
aneurysm1

2010 Range Rover Autobiography TDV8 Cairns Blue

Just thought I would share my experience over the last few days. I've had exactly the same problem where my rangey would not start. Got recovered to local garage and they fixed inside two days saying it was fuel pump. Starts like a dream and no problems since. First ever breakdown in ten years and it had to be the rangey after only 3 months ownership haha

Post #190221 23rd May 2013 9:16pm
Bushy513

Well I got it back yesterday, no fault being diagnosed, the reason they couldn't diagnose a fault? The fuel tank had diesel in it! I couldn't believe what I was being told, they couldn't make the pump fail as the tank was full of fuel. His advice keep the car over 1/2 a tank. What a joke, this is a main dealer head mechanic, saying don't worry about it just top it up! Bushy

Post #190559 25th May 2013 1:23pm
Prop

United Kingdom 

The place you have taken it to sound like a bunch of jokers, you need to find another mechanic if you ask me.

If they have looked in your tank by removing the rear seats and removed the access holes in the fuel tank then it is normally obvious there is a problem. When I took mine to get the in tank pump replaced they showed me the problem themselves. When you look in the tank you can see the level on the nearside/passenger side is always full to the brim where as the offside/drivers side of the tank will be much lower. In my case I took the car into the garage when the fuel level was about 1/3 full, and the drivers side of the tank was nearly empty. The whole job of removing my rear seats and pulling the carpet back to gain access to the fuel tank along with replacing the pump itself took about 90 minutes, this I know as I watched the guy do it in front of me. The inside of the fuel tank is painted silver which makes viewing the fuel levels very easy once the access lids are removed.

If I were you I would either take the car elsewhere or tell the garage to replace the in tank fuel pump, it is not normal to have to keep your tank over half full all the time. Since getting mine done I have had the fuel tank down to only 18miles left according to the on-board computer.

The only issue I can see is that your car is under warranty which may complicate things slightly. I was lucky I just bought a pump of eBay that cost me only £60 that was fitted to a vehicle briefly and removed again, so was pretty much brand new. I believe the pump costs just over £300 new. And it should not take more than 2 hours to fit, mine cost me an hour and a half in labour cost and I supplied the part myself.

Best of luck with getting this sorted, but it really does sound like you have a lazy mechanic looking for excuses to avoid doing the work.

Post #190575 25th May 2013 4:22pm
kingpleb

If it was me i would have drained the tank there and then, its easy to do, especially if its a dealer as their tool will let them run the fuel pumps to help with draining a tank, its what i've done to get mine down to about 1/4-1/3 and then the noise changes massively and you know its done... FFRR MY06 facelift With TDV8 Alloys Zeros/ATR's

Post #190578 25th May 2013 5:26pm
Bushy513

Couldn't agree more! I have been trained as a mechanic, although I don't work as one now. I know what they need to do, that's why I was so annoyed with there response.
It's going back in with the main dealer that first diagnosed it this week.
Hopefully get a solution. Bushy

Post #190580 25th May 2013 5:40pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12