Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Maintenance & Mods (L322) > An upgraded dual battery idea.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 4 of 4 <1234
Print this entire topic · 
The Brains Trust

Australia 2003 Range Rover HSE Td6 Adriatic Blue

Laurie915 wrote:
The link below shows photos and details of a custom L322 twin battery setup we are using in Oz. Great product and customer service !!! As you will see when you read the posts it took a while to get it sorted, but all questions were asked and replied too.

http://www.aulro.com/afvb/l322-range-rover...eries.html

Laurie

Got one of these in mine and it is great. It has bought the battery voltage of the main battery up ever so slightly and I don't get the HDC inactive coming up when I start it now.

The battery in the back will run a 39 litre Engel fridge for 3 days without ever needing to start the car, and I know it will start when I need it.

You would be hard pressed to find a smarter relay than this, it is very well thought out.

Post #170664 7th Feb 2013 11:24am
drivesafe

Australia 2007 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Stornoway Grey

Hi Folks and fitting a battery in the rear cubby is limited by height.

You are going to have clearance problems with most batteries because of the height of the terminals.

The Optima D34 is a perfect fit and while it is only a 55Ah battery is has a high CCA for it’s size.

I have found it is an improvement to the operation by leaving the two batteries ( semi ) permanently connected, as the increase in the overall battery capacity of the RR seems to fix a number of problems.

BTW, barracuda, most 12v solenoids can be energised with as little as 9 to 10v and if your cranking battery is being discharged below that, you battery is going to have a VERY short life.

Post #171858 12th Feb 2013 10:02pm
barracuda816

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Vogue SE Td6 Tonga Green

I do like the idea of the DT90 (aussi relay), and the fact that you get a little juice out of the starter battery to suppliment the leasure batt. But that relay is not redily avalible in the uk.

190mm is about the max height you can have in that tray (176mm with) and im not sure about the length arround 330mm should fit. The optima is a good battery but a verry expensive for the ah. CCA has no real place in a leasure battery.

Its a good point ref the sollinoid requiring only around 9v but a the VSR will only kick in over 12.8v so aslong as the leasure battery has enough power in it to boot up the ECU's then all will be good, but if not, with a VSR bypass all you would have to do is flick the switch.

Post #172014 13th Feb 2013 4:32pm
drivesafe

Hi again Barracuda, the DT90 has another advantage in that it not only allows any accessories to draw some of their power requirements from the cranking battery. Up to 50% of the cranking battery’s capacity can be used.

There is a revers advantage which may be of assistance in your case in that the auxiliary battery can also provide up to 50% of it’s capacity to assist the cranking battery.

This may sound strange but what has been found over the years and it is far more relevant with new vehicles, is that when an auxiliary battery is something like an Optima, which is a fast charging battery, after a drive, the Optima will be in a higher state of charge than the cranking battery will be, except after long drives when both batteries will be in a similar high SoC.

But because the Optima is in a higher state of charge and because the DT90 keeps the batteries connected, the Optima will back discharge into the cranking battery and over a period of time, as little as a week depending on how often you drive, the cranking battery’s settled state of charge is progressively raised.

This feature may or may not help with the problem you are having.

NOTE, this all depends on how much and how often you drive.

Another option might be to fit a solar panel to your RR.

Post #172020 13th Feb 2013 5:14pm
Havank

United Kingdom 2003 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Java Black

drivesafe wrote:

Another option might be to fit a solar panel to your RR.

are you considering to modify your dt90 to also take an input charge of a solar panel, this then could cycle both batteries to optimum- even not used for a long time

Post #172238 14th Feb 2013 11:31am
drivesafe

Hi Havank and while I am woking on a very basic 20 amp solar regulated input for the DT90, you would not need the DT90 if you used a solar panel no bigger than 10w.

You could connect to either the cranking battery or the auxiliary battery in the rear and both batteries would be maintained without risking over charging either.

Post #172283 14th Feb 2013 3:37pm
Joe90

England 

Solar always tricky in the UK, seems like today is the first time I have seen the sun in months! Laughing

It is a useful idea to add a solar charger to the secondary battery (direct), that will then keep both batteries up to the mark. .
Experience is the only genuine knowledge, but as time passes, I have forgotten more than I can remember Wink
Volvo V70 P2 2006 2.4 Petrol 170bhp Estate SE
MG Midget Mk1 1962

Previous: L322 Range Rover TDV8 3.6 2008; L322 Range Rover TD6 3.0 2002; P38A Range Rover V8 1999

Post #172289 14th Feb 2013 4:02pm
drivesafe

Hi Joe and you need to be aware of the amount of energy your RR is using while it’s parked up.

You then need to know how much power your isolator needs to operate and then you can factor in weather conditions for your area.

In your case and not factoring in any power for an isolator, you could safely fit a 20w solar panel.

In Barracuda’s situation, no isolator is needed and a 20w solar panel is going to be fine.

If someone is considering fitting both a solar panel and an isolator, you will not only need to know the operating current for the isolator but you need to find out if the will work in reverse if you want to connect the solar panel to the auxiliary battery, which in most cases, the rear cargo area would be the idea location for a solar panel mount.

Most isolators only work in one direction and will only operate if the voltage from the cranking battery is high enough to turn on the isolator. They usually do not monitor the auxiliary battery side and will not operate if the auxiliary battery voltage is high enough to turn the isolator on.

This would mean you have a fully charged auxiliary battery but it would be of no assistance to your cranking battery and you would need to connect your solar panel to the cranking battery.

My isolator only requires about 125ma while in SHEARED mode, which allows both batteries to be charged form a solar panel ( or a battery charger ) no matter where the solar panel is connected, but the power consumption of many isolators can be as high as 900ma and this would mean you an even bigger solar panel plus for safety, you would also need a solar regulator, to prevent over charging of either or both batteries.

Again, in Barracuda’s situation, no isolator is needed and a 20w solar panel will NOT need a regulator.

Post #172390 14th Feb 2013 11:03pm
kingpleb

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Bonatti Grey

Drivesafe,

would the au$200 price including shipping to the UK at all Wink FFRR MY06 facelift With TDV8 Alloys Zeros/ATR's
Mantec Sump Guard, Rigid Load liner, MY10 BT upgrade.

Post #172431 15th Feb 2013 10:34am
daz87

drivesafe wrote:
Hi Folks and fitting a battery in the rear cubby is limited by height.

You are going to have clearance problems with most batteries because of the height of the terminals.

The Optima D34 is a perfect fit and while it is only a 55Ah battery is has a high CCA for it’s size.

I have found it is an improvement to the operation by leaving the two batteries ( semi ) permanently connected, as the increase in the overall battery capacity of the RR seems to fix a number of problems.

BTW, barracuda, most 12v solenoids can be energised with as little as 9 to 10v and if your cranking battery is being discharged below that, you battery is going to have a VERY short life.

Thanks for the advice, that's been really helpful.

Post #182141 10th Apr 2013 10:14am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 4 of 4 <1234