Home > General > Odd noises
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
RRUK
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 2019 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Santorini Black
Odd noises

I know I am a perfectionist but I have noticed a few things about the TDV8 that I didn't have in the TD6, they MAY be faults or they may just be results of a different build.

When driving the car from cold, as the interior warms up (heater on) after about 5minutes driving I hear a noise which sounds like it comes from the inside of the dash, maybe the air vents on either side. It sounds like a clacking/creaking noise (I assume from plastic expansion due to heat) I also hear one in the centre cubby area too.

It's also seems to be instigated if I brake firmly around this time too, it seems to set them off...Weird.

Has anyone else noticed these types of noises?

I also have a squeaky low rattle noise from the passenger seat area when driving which DOES annoy as it's constant and find myself shouting at it Shocked

Am I alone? Question Discovery 4 HSE
1998 110 TUM HS FFR Hard Top XD WOLF
1982 Series 3 Hard Top

*Gone:L462 D5 HSE LUX, L663 Defender 110 HSE, Discovery 3 HSE, 2014MY Range Rover Sport 5.0 Supercharged AB Dynamic; L405 Exec Vogue SE 4.4, 5.0 Supercharged Autobiography, Defender TDCi XS CSW, Defender TD5 HT, Vogue SE TDV8, Vogue TD6, RRSport SC 4.2V8, Classic 3.9 Vogue Auto, Land Rover Series 3 SWB

Post #16351 9th Apr 2010 10:38am
sleepezy

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Java Black

I have a similar set of noises coming from the dash area - I have presumed it's all to do with the vents opening up as the engine has become warm enough to circulate air into the cabin. May be totally wrong though.

By co-incidence I drove home yesterday and stopped leaving the windows open - I never realised how many clicks and whirrs the car made when closing down!

Post #16356 9th Apr 2010 11:32am
Kilovolt

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Atacama Sand

The priority of the ECU (I think) is to heat the engine ASAP for fuel consumption and emmissions regulations blah blah..... When that is done it can turn it's attention to heating the cabin (so it starts to open up vents in order to do tHis etc.). Hence some rapid air movement a few minutes into the journey.

As for the other noise - I married the ratlle coming from the passenger seat............... Rolling Eyes Currently running FFRR MY10 TDV8 3.6L and a Disco 3 XS Commercial (tank like but very effective as a Company van). Plus one mint condition Track Day Car in the form of an E36 M3 3.2L Evolution circa June 1996 with lots of go faster bits and only 52k miles on the clock! Oh, plus a few bits to make it slow down really quickly as well! Luvverly.

Post #16361 9th Apr 2010 1:59pm
Fox

United Kingdom 

Quote:
I also have a squeaky low rattle noise from the passenger seat area when driving which DOES annoy as it's constant and find myself shouting at it Shocked

That would drive me crazy.
Take it back! Laughing

I won't let my Dad ride in the Defender because he is heavy and the passenger seat frame creaks all the time...

Post #16362 9th Apr 2010 2:18pm
Shaun the Sheep

England 2007 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Stornoway Grey

I to have an annoying noise from the front passenger seat, it's not there all the time and it seems to be intergrated into the speedometer and since being installed it also added speed camera warnings into the sat nav, and also added shoe shops as points of interest!

Post #16363 9th Apr 2010 2:45pm
RRUK
Site Supporter

That's just reminded me of another noise I get, or rather, a noise that only happens when my mate sits on the car. He's the same build as me (slim) but when sits in either the driver or passenger seat the seat belt anchor rubberised part rubs and squeaks on the seat leather. No one else can make it happen! He's jinxed Shocked Discovery 4 HSE
1982 Series 3 Hard Top

*Gone:L462 D5 HSE LUX, L663 Defender 110 HSE, Discovery 3 HSE, 2014MY Range Rover Sport 5.0 Supercharged AB Dynamic; L405 Exec Vogue SE 4.4, 5.0 Supercharged Autobiography, Defender TDCi XS CSW, Defender TD5 HT, Vogue SE TDV8, Vogue TD6, RRSport SC 4.2V8, Classic 3.9 Vogue Auto, Land Rover Series 3 SWB

Post #16372 9th Apr 2010 5:15pm
VMPP

Portugal 2007 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Buckingham Blue

Maybe they're all the same...

My car also makes the most strangest noises. Usually it's a big cracking noise (like a large ''pow'') from the insides of the dashboard which I view as a rearegement of the dash because of the heat or some sort of chassis flexing and pushing some parts of the dashboard.

But the most beautifull thing is when you stop the car. Stay on the inside of the on a quiet area and shut everything down. It will make all sorts of pppfffsss, zzzzzsssss, fffuuuu for at least some 5 minutes.

Seems like it has a life of its own and is breathing.... Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Very Happy Very Happy

Post #16404 9th Apr 2010 11:36pm
RRCanuck

Canada 2010 Range Rover Supercharged Supercharged Santorini Black

Same here with the creaking dash RRUK. I've put it down temp change. Usually I will give the dash a firm push just above the speedo before I drive off. Seems to help. Had a BMW that did the same thing.

mb.

Post #16407 10th Apr 2010 1:01am
shalz

Kenya 2011 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Santorini Black
Re: Odd noises

RRUK wrote:

Am I alone? Question

RRUK - I know you've changed your car to the bad bomber but did you ever get the issue above sorted. Mines doing the same and it's driving me insane even though I've told the dealers twice about it with no result.

They wouldn't take the bigger souce of constant noise that sits there either, not covered under warranty apparently!! MY11 Vogue 4.4 TDV8 - "African Queen"

Post #220610 4th Nov 2013 6:01am
fairwx

2015 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV6 Luxor

The creaking is indeed the vent motors inside the HVAC - my dealer sorted this by replacing them while fixing a vibration from one other motor.

The downside is that they need to remove much of the dashboard - so you may end up with even more creaking.

Post #220614 4th Nov 2013 9:19am
RRUK
Site Supporter

Blimey, this was SOME time ago!

If I remember correctly, the Dealer did fix it, it was something to do with the plastic seat base surround, but I can't recall exactly what the fix was, I don't think it was replacement though.

There is a Land Rover Technical Bulletin (LTB) which they use for squeaks and rattles, and it has a kit associated with it that includes dry lubes etc for squeaking panels. Discovery 4 HSE
1982 Series 3 Hard Top

Post #220629 4th Nov 2013 10:36am
shalz

Kenya 2011 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Santorini Black

@RRUK - thanks for the info and pointing out a potential LTB, will mention it to the new dealer I plan to use.

yup, agree it was over 2 years ago....your memory is working ace! MY11 Vogue 4.4 TDV8 - "African Queen"

Post #220636 4th Nov 2013 11:39am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1