Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > General > Going to view one tomorrow
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Restless

Going to view one tomorrow

I know what I said about wanting a V8, I even still would prefer one, but a friend of a friend is selling a TD6 which sounds good value for what it is:

2004-53 Reg, 80k miles, Bonatti Grey,Vogue, FSH, looks pretty decent from the pictures but not seen it yet,
I know to look out for the air suspension and electrical gremlins, then check for other stuff you would look for on any car, damage, tyre wear etc, anything else RR specific or TD6 specific?.
Also if I did get it would it be worth getting the gearbox oil and filter changed at 80k or should I just carry on driving it and wait for the inevitable?, how much is a decent recon/replacement box, I've found a couple of places on Ebay that offer it for £1200 fitted which doesn't seem bad value, if it went in the time I had it then it's a £1200 bill which, while not pleasant isn't the end of the world, but at 80k there seems a good chance it will be fine?, especially if I change the oil and filter in it.
Does anyone know how much it costs to get a tow bar fitted?, one of the detachable factory ones would be nice but I imagine their expensive.

Lastly I've been told I can get it for £10k, baring any real issues with it does that seem good value?.

Post #151582 16th Nov 2012 7:10pm
JAYBOY

Wales 2017 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Corris Grey

Sounds like a good deal.
I don't know about the gear box but changing the oil won't hurt.
Tow hitches are on ebay and again reasonable.

Good luck Thumbs Up 2020 Porsche Panamera Turbo Hybrid (V FAST)
2017 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 V8
2018 JCW Mini Cooper
2018 Skoda VRS

Post #151583 16th Nov 2012 7:21pm
northernmonkeyjones

United Kingdom 2016 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Santorini Black

Restless

You can get the oem towbar fitted at most good installers though it is pretty bolt on so a fairly diy job.I think i paid about 400 for my detachable but it was a year or so ago so cant remember exact figures. The oem is westfalia. The electrics are plug and play from land rover, though possibly need reprogramming of the ecu, indy should be able to do this if tow bar fitter cant. Would deffo go for the lr oem electrics, easy and reasonable price.

One thing to scrutinise bodywork wise is the lips of the rear arches behind the door rubbers. They have a tendancy to rust here. I would expect a bit on a car of that age and can be easily sorted as long as not too bad. There is nothing that can't be fixed with a hammer😜😜
FFRR 4.4 SDV8 Autobiography Santorini Black.
Fiat 500x 1.4 multiair Lounge 2015
2010 LR D4 Commercial 2.7 TDV6

Post #152791 22nd Nov 2012 9:30pm
PaulB

2017 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

i bought a OEM tow kit off ebay.

The electrics are plug and play.

The tow frame was a few bolts, took a couple of hours.

Post #152799 22nd Nov 2012 10:15pm
JAYBOY

Wales 2017 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Corris Grey

This should do it.

The insert should be on the car.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Range-Rover-L322...3ccc5cd344

All you will need then is the electrics. They should also be on Ebay

Good luck with your search Cool 2020 Porsche Panamera Turbo Hybrid (V FAST)
2017 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 V8
2018 JCW Mini Cooper
2018 Skoda VRS

Post #152800 22nd Nov 2012 10:20pm
bozmandb9

Sounds a little pricey to me. I'd want a 2005 facelift for £10k. Have you checked out the ones for sale on the forum? Not a facelift but a 2005 for £10k Thumbs Up Range Rover-less at the moment - Pining!

Post #152808 22nd Nov 2012 10:53pm
piecost76

United Kingdom 

I agree, overpriced for a 53 plate.

80k miles is where the gearbox trouble starts & £1200 would not get you a properly rebuilt box with the upgraded Sonnax valves, it would be a ticking timebomb!

Should be nearer £8K if it's all 100% Thumbs Up Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

15 MY 110 XS USW

54 FFRR Vogue TD6 Touchscreen - Gone!
56 FFRR TDV8 VSE - Gone!

Post #152830 23rd Nov 2012 8:29am
Simes

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Autobiography Black TDV8 Barolo Black

I think the other thing to bear in mind, is that if you want a V8, you will never be happy with a TD6.

The Diesel Range Rovers are very good - but my mate bought a Diesel about the same time as I bought my V8. It's odd swapping between the two as they are identical in every respect apart from the engine - same colours and trim.

He loves driving mine - and loves the smooth quiet sound. His does sound like a Massey-Fegurson at tickover, and at speed the engine always sounds like it's really busy. The V8 in comparison just wafts along. Pickup from stationary - no comparison - whenever he jumps in mine he about breaks my neck the first time he pulls away - as he's not used to the car taking off so quickly with just a wafer of throttle.

We also both have similar sized twin axle caravans - his diesel really sounds like it's working with it on the back - whereas the V8 feels no different to when it's not on the back!

If you can stand the price of the fuel (and in reality the difference isn't that great - he gets about 24mpg and I get 19 to 20) the V8 is a lot more refined.

Post #152860 23rd Nov 2012 10:32am
Gazellio @ Prestige Cars

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover SE Td6 Zermatt Silver

http://www.garyelliott.co.uk/prestige_cars...index.html

£8490 Whistle

Post #152877 23rd Nov 2012 11:17am
bozmandb9

If you wanted a V8, that would seem to indicate that fuel cost is not a main concern, in which case...

GET A V8! Thumbs Up

The TD6 is a great car for what it is, which is a more fuel efficient Range Rover, but obviously it's a compromise on power and speed compared to the V8.

The TD6 is comparatively more expensive too, so why pay a premium for the car you don't want to, when you can get what you do want for less money!

To top it all off, the gearbox on the TD6 is more prone to issues than the petrol version too!

Please, no offence TD6 owners, I'd love any Range Rover at the moment! Swap you my XC90! Laughing Range Rover-less at the moment - Pining!

Post #152891 23rd Nov 2012 12:07pm
Restless

Well bit of an update, the one I went to look at didn't drive perfectly, couple of knocks from the suspension and the stereo wasn't playing any sound so I left well alone.

I did go and test drive a Sport and think I'm going to go for one instead, really do like the FF and have had one before but was really impressed with the handling of the Sport and it combines that with great off road ability and towing ability still, now the challenge is finding a nice grey or black one in HSE trim that hasn't been pimped out!!, I quite like the Stormer 20 inch wheels and the running boards but other than that completley standard would be nice, the only thing I really felt was worse about the interior was the quality of the leather nowhere near as thick and nice as the FF.

Post #154598 30th Nov 2012 6:47pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1