Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > General > Looking for a Td6 FFRR (advice needed)
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
47p2

Scotland 

19"s on the TD6 work well Thumbs Up

Post #144905 5th Oct 2012 8:09pm
Mr Tee

Scotland 

3 x Adults in the back , check! They'll be fine , very wide back seats

Post #144906 5th Oct 2012 8:10pm
TugRR

United Kingdom 

Well, Sagaris - I reckon it's a good choice looking for the car you describe. I had such a car for 18 mths, before selling it earlier this year - big mistake - I'm looking at others now Rolling Eyes

First thing is to get a car registered before 23/3/2006 - cheaper tax by +£200 - any Td6 after is not worth it - you may as well go for a TDV8 ! So, you're looking at '05,'55 or some '06 cars (look for 06 in the VIN). Don't worry about miles, go for condition and paperwork - anybody who scrimps on looking after one can't afford to run it in the first place . . . . If you look at FF's for sale on the Continent the used prices are not concerned about high mileages - it's a British thing !

From a personal perspective, I'd only go for Vogue spec - I liked the sunroof - but there are SE and HSE cars available which have been upspecced.

From what I gather from this, ahem, excellent forum, the facelifted FF's are less prone to earlier electronic troubles - with a different suspension compressor. Winter will still properly "test" your battery. The satnav unit is prone to water ingress, but there is a cheap mod (plastic bag !) from LR.

Running gear. Td6 is pretty bulletproof and surprisingly good on fuel if you don't cane it - mine did upto 30 mpg all the time. There's loads of room around it and my garage tells me it's easy to work on. The front diff issue is easy to verify if it has been carried out - either check the paperwork or phone a dealer with the VIN. Most have been done under warranty - mine had. Rear suspension bushes are a common renewable - make sure they've been done. Secondary fuel pump is also a common failure. As for gearbox, there's alot more about those on the forum, but we also hear of cars with very high mileage that are ok . . . .

Standard wheels are 18" which I found perfect after a bit of air pressure tweaking. Again, personally, I wouldn't go any bigger than 19" because of ruining the ride - it's all about the ride ! Where I live, bigger wheels would kill it.

The only problems I had with mine during 18mths (from 75k to 90k) were - slight suspension issue (blocked filter on compressor), dead battery (but it was the original) and an anti roll bar link (£12 new !). The other parts I've mentioned above had been replaced duting it's previous ownership - it had all the paperwork from LR to prove. Low ownership is always a good sign = happy owner !

As for performance, decide for yourself after driving one. Mine was standard and I was more than happy with it - everybody has a different view, and more importantly, expectations. I've got a Caterham and I don't expect a 2.5 ton car to drive like that !

Finally, if you find two decent cars - I'll have one of them !

Thumbs Up Where do you go after one of these . . . ?

Post #144910 5th Oct 2012 8:33pm
Shaun

England 2011 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Orkney Grey

Bought a 54 plate Vogue 2 years ago with FSH, service it myself for not a lot of money. It has had 2 lower ball joints and a battery in my ownership. Had a gearbox before i bought it, it failed around the 60 thousand mark. Ride not too good on 20's, now on 18's and very good. For the size of car, performance very good. not sure if a previous owner has had it remapped. Very pleased overall and i would say go buy one.

Post #144912 5th Oct 2012 8:57pm
SAGARIS

Thanks again chaps for all the info,

Post #144943 6th Oct 2012 8:34am
Andy

United Kingdom 2009 Range Rover SE TDV8 Stornoway Grey

I've had mine for 3 yrs now and it's the best car I've ever owned. It's not the quickest car in the world but when I drive it, I don't want to go fast.
It's a luxury cruiser and I can drive it all day and not feel tired. 2010 MY Vogue SE TDV8 3.6 Stornoway Grey- fully loaded

Post #145204 7th Oct 2012 6:53pm
SAGARIS

do you have to fit winter tyres to deal with snow in a FFRR or would a good summer tyre be ok?

Thanks again

Post #145274 8th Oct 2012 9:58am
47p2

Scotland 

I have Pirelli Scorpions on my FFRR and it never missed a beat in the extreme winter conditions we have had in recent years

Post #145283 8th Oct 2012 10:41am
kingpleb

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Bonatti Grey

You shouldn't really as all the good tyres are M&S rated Smile

In 13months of owning mine i have had the following replaced,

1 Track Rod end
Front wheel bearing
CV Boot
Drums cleaned out and adjusted
2 Services(done by myself)
Upgraded grille
Upgraded alloys
Upgraded BT module
Boot Liner(rigid)
Mantec sump guard
After Market Towbar
Genuine Towing electrics
the odd fuse
Some wipers
Wheel nuts(they are Censored design IMO!)
Viscous coupling failure(locked on) so removed the whole fan unit instead.

Soon im going to need another service, new front discs and pads and maybe another repair on the rear tailgate.

Mine has so far been good other than over the last week where its displaying the signs of the primary fuel pump dying. these aren't a big job thanks to John's write up( 47p2)

I got mine on 123,000 miles. Its now just nudging 143,000 miles in that time its had the 2 services and the bits above. The gearbox is the weakest point and im bracing myself for when it lets go. Im going to try and do it myself as RRphil has done a great write up about it on here or RR.net i think and i'd rather put the money towards a sonnax valve block and mackies TC refurb.

I get low-mid 20's for my MPG and do a lot of short journeys often never getting over 40. A weekend of greenlaning with a lot of low range box use has seen 14.7mpg from that from one tank.

I've run mine almost excuslively on BioD and occasionally chuck some 2Stroke or normal engine oil in to keep everything lubed and it seems happy. Yes the primary fuel pump has failed but its 7years old and has been through some bad winters already so hasn't died any sooner than i'd expect it to.

Cooling system is going to get a flush soon as well to keep it good and to help with the viscous fan removal.

As above go for a vogue as rear seat passengers on a long journey thats cold will enjoy the heated seats, especially at night to keep them asleep, the sunroof is good but i rarely use mine but you miss it in cars that dont have it! and buy on condition. if there vehicle is scratched or dinged a little but there are wads of reciepts for mechnical bits and it runs fine id sooner buy it than one with a tidy bodywork and hardly any backup papers... if the gearbox feels wrong compared to a good one then factor it in or walk away...

Rear arches and upper tailgate bootlips rust and are weak spots, again a design flaw! Interiors wear hard so will show abuse as well and indicate if milage is correct. All drivers seat bases have some sag in them im afraid as not many are still taught after 4-5years of in and out action.

Ask the current owner to take you for a test drive and see how they drive it. if they gentley drive it before any pushing its good. and never let the engine be warm before you get there. If you get there and the temp gauge is moved above the low mark then just say you'll need to come back another day. a cold engine that you then see warm up is a good way to make sure nothing is being hidden, like a rough idle due to a sticky injector when cold... FFRR MY06 facelift With TDV8 Alloys Zeros/ATR's
Mantec Sump Guard, Rigid Load liner, MY10 BT upgrade.

Post #145286 8th Oct 2012 11:14am
SAGARIS

Thanks again Chaps, Smile

Post #145754 10th Oct 2012 10:29am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12