Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > General > range rover ?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Skinnyrunt23

range rover ?

I am trying to decide if I should trade in my vw toureg for a range rover to free up some money for a caravan. I want to run for the same sort of economy I am getting now, 30 mpg. So thought about either buying a rangie already converted to LPG or get a decent one to convert. Trouble is I know nothing about them! Newbie on here, any pointers you could give me on things to watch out for would be great. With this kind of car, although I may be getting a good deal, still think its worth taking out some kind of warranty. Just done a check looking arounf £700 for the year to fully protect?

Post #123756 26th May 2012 4:31pm
Lloyd Barnes

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Java Black

I've just switched from a Touareg to a Range. I was running a 3.0tdi VW and getting about 26-27mpg out of it. So far the Range is doing about the same. I reckon a remapped TDV8 might get close to 30mpg but you say you are wanting to release a chunk of cash so not sure if your budget is set at TDV8 level (24k+).

As to the differences the Range is much bigger and feels it on the road. Puts a smile on my face in a way the VW never really managed to though. Much more of a relaxed cruiser, the VW almost drove like a car. TBH I
Also hoping the Range won't use as many Tyres and brake discs as the VW did!!! Lloyd Barnes

Current
Crendon 427 Sideoiler Cobra in build... 7 litres of madness!

Gone
2008 TDV8 Vogue - Black with Ivory/Grand Black Lacquer
2008 VW Touareg 3.0Tdi
6.3litre Dax Cobra - 12.34 Second 1/4mile at 114mph Smile

Post #123759 26th May 2012 5:24pm
Joe90

England 

Buying advice

http://www.fullfatrr.com/forum/topic10812.html

http://www.myrangerover.co.uk/MyRangeRover...klist.html .
Experience is the only genuine knowledge, but as time passes, I have forgotten more than I can remember Wink
Volvo V70 P2 2006 2.4 Petrol 170bhp Estate SE
MG Midget Mk1 1962

Previous: L322 Range Rover TDV8 3.6 2008; L322 Range Rover TD6 3.0 2002; P38A Range Rover V8 1999

Post #123761 26th May 2012 5:35pm
Skinnyrunt23

my vw will probably sell around the 20k mark, its a bluemotion one so it should get around that. Plan is to free up about 5k for a caravan, so looking around 15k mark.
I "think" a conversion to gas is around 2k - could be wrong. Not phoned around Leeds yet. Preferably like a big tank (120 ltr) to be able to get decent range. The cheapest LPG price I have seen is 65p, which is just down the road Smile

Post #123764 26th May 2012 6:06pm
stu

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Orkney Grey

you should get a quality sequential system now adays for £2k, the only thing is you won't get 120l tank in a FFRR unless you take up boot space. the normal thing is to use the spare wheel well with a donut tank. you could try that in conjunction with smaller cylinders mounted underneath and a custom made smaller petrol tank. maybe someone with an LPG conversion will let you know what kind of tank/tanks they have fitted.

i used to run LPG on all my cars, had lots of cars use it!! but for the past three or four years i have been using diesel. firstly because i got fed up of the poor range on LPG even with 100l tank fitted and having to keep a map handy with LPG stations marked on it. i just find it easier now to run the diesel car, it doesn't cost that much more really.

my last LPG car was my D2, a 4.0l V8. i was getting about 12-14 mpg generally on gas. i can get mid 20's on diesel and low 20's when towing my plastic palace.

all i am trying to say is don't rule out a good TD6. you have a big enough budget to get a nice one with sensible miles and full service history.

good luck no matter what you decide!!

BTW... i forgot to say i used to have a Touareg also. nice car, fantastic tow car too, but just didn't set my world alight and as mentioned used too many brakes and tyres. Current: TDV8 (3.6) RRS HSE

Past: TDV8(4.4) Vogue
Discovery 3 Commercial
TDV8(3.6) Vogue
TD6 Vogue
D2 V8 ES
D1 V8 ES
RR Vogue Classic

Post #123784 26th May 2012 9:41pm
Skinnyrunt23

Thanks for the advice, makes a lot of sense. I was going down the lpg route only because of cost. From my searches so far not seeing any decent tdv6 for that kind of money .
But will defiinately keep an open mind in the searches.

Post #123820 27th May 2012 12:38pm
Skinnyrunt23

would you say a range rover is more to maintain than a vw toureg?

Post #131875 18th Jul 2012 7:52pm
Joe90

England 

Yep Very Happy .
Experience is the only genuine knowledge, but as time passes, I have forgotten more than I can remember Wink
Volvo V70 P2 2006 2.4 Petrol 170bhp Estate SE
MG Midget Mk1 1962

Previous: L322 Range Rover TDV8 3.6 2008; L322 Range Rover TD6 3.0 2002; P38A Range Rover V8 1999

Post #131881 18th Jul 2012 9:32pm
Budgie

Scotland 

Depends on where you go and if you're prepared to get your hands dirty.
I've just done a service on my Rangie and it cost less the £100 all in, and £50 of that was the oil.
Brakes discs = £20 + vat
Brake pads = £19 + vat
Radiator = £140 + vat
Water pump = £45 + vat 

Post #131896 18th Jul 2012 10:14pm
Cam-Tech-Craig

England 2015 Range Rover SVAutobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

Budgie wrote:
Depends on where you go and if you're prepared to get your hands dirty.
I've just done a service on my Rangie and it cost less the £100 all in, and £50 of that was the oil.
Brakes discs = £20 + vat
Brake pads = £19 + vat
Radiator = £140 + vat
Water pump = £45 + vat

With all due respect, what quality are the discs and pads at that price my friend? We have had some really crappy cheap brakes causing all manor of problems with customers cars... Usually fitted by shifty car dealers when selling...

Craig Whistle

Post #131914 18th Jul 2012 11:41pm
Budgie

Scotland 

I've no idea about those as they were just marked as "Aftermarket".
But there are the following discs (prices are per pair and with no VAT):
Mintex - £39.50
Britpart (slotted & drilled) - £55
EBC (slotted & drilled) - £145

Front pads:
Delphi - from £21
Ferodo - £35
EBC Green Stuff - £52.50

I've used both Mintex & EBC without any issues on Discovery 300 TDI & 3.9 V8, Rangie Classic 3.5 EFi and Shogun 3.2 LWB.

All I wanted to do was show that the running of a L322 doesn't need to cost a fortune if you choose your parts and do the labour yourself. Wink 

Post #131919 19th Jul 2012 2:54am
nubbin

United Kingdom 2019 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Corris Grey

I ventured into FFRR territory late last year - bought a 2005 Vogue 4.4 with the intention of a) converting to LPG and b) getting a 2010 conversion done. My initial ownership experience was about as bad as it could get - the car I found was on the face of it excellent value, with a full dealer SH and only 52000 miles, free 1 year warranty included in sale. However, after driving it home (before I actually got home in fact) the gearbox failed! Shocked One warranty claim and 5 weeks later I got it back, found out two wheels were not quite round, Rolling Eyes and the air con was not working.

However, the LPG and conversion have both been done, I am in the process of sourcing new wheels, and the car drive really well.

My advice? Go in with your eyes open, budget for a warranty, also budget for a few extras to get the car in the best possible shape, choose your car carefully, and it should be a happy experience. It will cost money, but that's why we work - to buy ever bigger shiny things!

Last edited by nubbin on 19th Jul 2012 9:24am. Edited 1 time in total

Post #131933 19th Jul 2012 9:05am
Lloyd Barnes

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Java Black

Does the Range cost more to maintain than the Touareg....?

Given what I paid at a VW dealer for a service I doubt there is much difference in general servicing costs, and as said, if you don't mind doing some work yourself costs can be reduced.

However!!!! In the 4 years I owned the Touareg (apart from the last week when both manifolds died) it never missed a beat, nothing, not even a bulb blown and I put 100,000 miles on it. It did chew discs and tyres to be fair and I'm hoping the Range will be better.

I've had the Range for 3 months and two weeks. Its currently sat on the drive broken, leaking fuel from one injector and making a bad screeching noise on acceleration. Much as I love the Range, its like going back to the 80's in as much as I expect it to break! Take a read through this forum and its quite clear build quality is far poorer than the German car. Some say say its because its very complex, I struggle with that, so was the Touareg.

I think if you buy one of these, go in with the attitude it will cost you more to maintain, and you won't be left disappointed. I still love mine, even though later this morning I will have to walk to the village to buy some milk! Lloyd Barnes

Current
Crendon 427 Sideoiler Cobra in build... 7 litres of madness!

Gone
2008 TDV8 Vogue - Black with Ivory/Grand Black Lacquer
2008 VW Touareg 3.0Tdi
6.3litre Dax Cobra - 12.34 Second 1/4mile at 114mph Smile

Post #131935 19th Jul 2012 9:10am
kingpleb

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Bonatti Grey

As above I've run a car long term, 30k+ on LPG and am now a diesel person.

Mainly as i can get BioD so cheap it just makes sense and the fact that in the FFRR once moving the difference isn't that noticeable to me as i don't tend to thrash that much and the low end grunt is good Smile

Downside is the worry about the gearbox but I haven't had any issues with it so far, TOUCH WOOD, and im on 141k now Smile
£15k at the minute should get you a 2005-2006 model with lowish miles. Go for a Vogue SE if you have kids as the DVD bit will help a little but it will help come re-sale time Smile FFRR MY06 facelift With TDV8 Alloys Zeros/ATR's
Mantec Sump Guard, Rigid Load liner, MY10 BT upgrade.

Post #131937 19th Jul 2012 9:15am
Skinnyrunt23

guess you get good and bad cars regardless. I love the look of a FFRR. Not sure abot bio D, isnt it hard to come by? how much?

Post #132032 19th Jul 2012 6:41pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>