Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Technical (L322) > Howl from under bonnet after a run
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
ukwizard

England 2006 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Bonatti Grey
Howl from under bonnet after a run

Im sorry if this has been answered before, I've not found it on a search and wondered if anyone knew what this might be.

I have a 2006 TD6, overall its running well but I've noticed that after a long constant speed run (for example on the motorway), when I come back to town driving there is a definite howl or wind noise from the engine compartment.

Im assuming its the turbo in some way, but if I park up and come back a few hours later, (or just run round for a while) the noise goes, its back to exactly what id expect.

The noise is directly related to the revs, and starts immediately, getting louder with the increase in revs.

Ill take it to the garage, but its quite difficult to reproduce as it doesn't happen every time, and of course if they leave it parked even if I run it down the motorway to force the problem it will clear.

Any ideas before I start a hunt for a needle at the local garage???

Post #123082 22nd May 2012 8:06pm
northernmonkeyjones

United Kingdom 2016 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Santorini Black

Could it be the vicious fan? Which would start moving as the engine reached temp. There is nothing that can't be fixed with a hammer😜😜
FFRR 4.4 SDV8 Autobiography Santorini Black.
Fiat 500x 1.4 multiair Lounge 2015
2010 LR D4 Commercial 2.7 TDV6

Post #123085 22nd May 2012 8:12pm
ukwizard

It could be as simple as the fan, its the sort of noise a fan makes.

Normally I either use the car for short journeys round town, or for long trips and I've never noticed the fan coming in at all.

Previous cars have always been a fixed noise when the fan comes in as well, does the fan go up and down with the revs on the RR??

Post #123087 22nd May 2012 8:20pm
47p2

Scotland 

It will be the viscous fan kicking in full bung with the warmer weather Thumbs Up

Post #123088 22nd May 2012 8:21pm
kingpleb

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Bonatti Grey

UK Wizard, Where in sale are you as i could have a listen for you as i know both noises well, albeit the turbo noise isn't from my RR just yet but the viscous noise is and i've removed mine as RRRob in burnley did most of the work and i was like a junior tech to him while doing it Very Happy FFRR MY06 facelift With TDV8 Alloys Zeros/ATR's
Mantec Sump Guard, Rigid Load liner, MY10 BT upgrade.

Post #123103 22nd May 2012 8:42pm
ukwizard

Thanks for the offer, Im definitely thinking it might just be the fan as that makes sense, when the car is cool it doesn't happen and it would be logical for the fan to be needed now its hot or after a run.

The only thing that was throwing me is that is rev specific, as the car revs it gets louder (i.e. fan increases) and I've never noticed that with other cars.

Im just off Moss Lane in Sale, are you local to Sale? If the offer is still open and the noise continues I can always pop it by after giving it a good run first to make sure the noise is happening!

Andy

Post #123110 22nd May 2012 8:53pm
kingpleb

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Bonatti Grey

Yeah i stay with a friend sometimes in Heald Green which isn't far and im going traff centre on saturday as well so not far at all Smile

im mostly based in warrington at the minute which is a bit farther but drop me a PM if you want as im sure we could sort a meetup out and happy to pass on my knowledge(what little i have left!) Very Happy FFRR MY06 facelift With TDV8 Alloys Zeros/ATR's
Mantec Sump Guard, Rigid Load liner, MY10 BT upgrade.

Post #123130 22nd May 2012 10:43pm
ambulancekidd

Scotland 2005 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Oslo Blue

ukwizard wrote:

Thanks for the offer, Im definitely thinking it might just be the fan as that makes sense, when the car is cool it doesn't happen and it would be logical for the fan to be needed now its hot or after a run.

The only thing that was throwing me is that is rev specific, as the car revs it gets louder (i.e. fan increases) and I've never noticed that with other cars.

Im just off Moss Lane in Sale, are you local to Sale? If the offer is still open and the noise continues I can always pop it by after giving it a good run first to make sure the noise is happening!

Andy

The fan isn't electric but is viscous, therefor it spins faster as the engine revs. Most other cars do not have this system, so if your not familiar with the noise it can sound alarming, but all is well.
Robert. The reason women's minds are cleaner than a mans mind is that women change their minds more often!
When women say fine a mans in deep doodoo as fine has so many meanings.

Post #123268 23rd May 2012 4:44pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1