Home > Technical (L322) > 2006 MY S/C Rear Brake Woes
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Print this entire topic · 
Stephen.125

2017 Range Rover SVAutobiography 5.0 SC V8 Indus Silver
2006 MY S/C Rear Brake Woes

Hi All,

New Range Rover owner in June been lurking for a while just soaking up the info & humour.

My car is in at Hatfields Jaguar Landrover in Liverpool, the caliper stuck on and trashed a brand new set of discs (NS Rear is warped)

The LR approved extended warranty apparently may cover the caliper replacement but not the discs/pads.

Anyone any experience of arguing the toss over this as consequential damage?

It's also in for a new EAS compressor (warning light on way home from collecting it) and radial steering column motor. I bought it off Guy Salmon Leeds (Now Farnell) and to be honest I'm regretting it don't get me wrong when it's good I don't hink there are many cars to beat it (except newer Rangies ovbiously!) but it seems like a lemon.

Sorry for the long post!

Cheers

Post #9257 11th Dec 2009 11:34am
Vogue

United Kingdom 

discs and pads are wearing parts so the dealer will argue not covered, you need to stick out and create a fuss, because they wouldn't have worn out if it wasn't for them being stuck on.

The stuck brake created the issue didn't it so stick out, they should be covered - unless the discs and pads were goosed anyway - then you are wasting your time...

Post #9259 11th Dec 2009 12:10pm
Stephen.125

Thanks for the reply. I should stress that I'm disappointed in the RRR, not Guy Salmon.

They put a brand new set of discs and pads on before I collected it so I'd argue that they should be covered.

Just spoken to Peter in Land Rover Warranty- total pr*ck, he said they don't cover them and if they did and you crashed into a tree they would have to cover the body work on the tree too- cretin.

After I pointed out that it's a directly connected part and tried to align the old'post hoc ergo propter hoc' argument with his sh*t example I realised that if he had a proper job instead of being a brain dead phone monkey he could probably afford a FFRR himself. Petty jealousy is a terrible thing, looks like I'll have to pay...

Also apparently the caliper is on 'back order' with no date attached; guess they must have to whittle another one out of wheat or something.

Sorry for the arsey tone of the post guys!

All that being said it's still a bloody special feeling wafting around in a FFRR.

Cheers

Thumbs Up

Post #9261 11th Dec 2009 12:46pm
RRUK
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 2019 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Santorini Black

Don't get too disappointed, I know it seems really really annoying. The good will outweight the bad very soon.

If worst comes to the worst and you DO have to pay for the discs and pads, they're not too expensive if you source them from somewhere other than the dealer, look on eBay, there's LOADS of choice. Discovery 4 HSE
1998 110 TUM HS FFR Hard Top XD WOLF
1982 Series 3 Hard Top

*Gone:L462 D5 HSE LUX, L663 Defender 110 HSE, Discovery 3 HSE, 2014MY Range Rover Sport 5.0 Supercharged AB Dynamic; L405 Exec Vogue SE 4.4, 5.0 Supercharged Autobiography, Defender TDCi XS CSW, Defender TD5 HT, Vogue SE TDV8, Vogue TD6, RRSport SC 4.2V8, Classic 3.9 Vogue Auto, Land Rover Series 3 SWB

Post #9267 11th Dec 2009 2:23pm
Stephen.125

Thanks for that!

I left a message with Land Rover CRC- no one answered the phone ah irony my old friend...

Apparently the best discount I can get is 10% off the parts- anyone any ideas/leverage? What do you guys suggest is the best method for kicking up fuss with LRUK?

Not keen on dealing with the approved warranty C Censored s again... Not sure I trust myself with 'Peter'

By his reasoning if a thermostat failed and the engine seized they would only relace the thermostat!

@RRUK- Can't wait to see the pictures of your new baby! Think I'd like a TDV8 next (unless the lottery comes up and I get a MY2010 S/C!)

Happy weekend all!

Thumbs Up

Post #9276 11th Dec 2009 5:25pm
RRVSE

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Vogue SDV8 Corris Grey

Hi HappyM,
I had a similar problem earlier this year whereby my n/s rear brakepad all but disappeared, causing heavy scoring on the disc and so had to buy a new pair for the rear. Never had 'metal on metal' in my life on any car and was amazed to find out that the FFRR only has 2 brake pad sensors, one on a front pad , one on a rear pad, so if the pad that fails isn't one of the 2 being monitored , you don't know . The pad went from no noise to 1 grating sound which I checked but could see nothing, to a real noise a week later where it stood out like a sore thumb. Did the same as you. My arguement was that it is serviced to schedule and that if I'd known the pad was over 90% worn I would have changed both rear sets immediately and the discs would have been fine. Like your bloke, they couldn't understand the logic! Ended up paying for the discs but luckily, as Adam says, they're not expensive (even via main dealer - £103 + vat). I was so annoyed I had the front pads changed aswell (80% worn) as considered it more cost effective to chuck still good pads away to reduce chance of having to buy new front discs down the line when an un-monitored pad failed. There's a 'sticky' thread about discs and prices in this technical section...
http://www.fullfatrr.com/forum/topic139.html

Cheers Steve

Main car : FFRR L405 Vogue SDV8
Other car : Vauxhall Lotus Carlton
Past cars : FFRR L322 Vogue TD6 SE (Sept 2006 MY07) ; LandCruiser SWB ; 4-Runner ; Supras; XJS V12 LeMans

Post #9280 11th Dec 2009 6:03pm
Vogue

United Kingdom 

thinking about this I had a very similar problem with a vehicle bought new - from memory at about 12 months old and still under the manufactueres warranty the front off side calliper bound and destroyed a disc and pads.

They said I had to pay for the discs and pads, I just refused to pay the bill and told them to source the funds from LR. The LR Main Agent didn't argue

Post #9284 11th Dec 2009 6:11pm
axle

Australia 2008 Range Rover Supercharged 4.2 SC V8 Rimini Red

I had a seized caliper on mine last year and the warenty paid for the caliper disc and pads on that side only, and since theay were going to fit them all under the warenty I segested I got the othe disc and pads from Cradocks but the Censored refused so I had to pay stealer price for one half Evil or Very Mad 2008 MY Supercharged
Rimini Red / Jet
four zone climate
remote park heater
and no ugly kid windows.
magnus satis quod turpis satis

Post #9308 11th Dec 2009 10:22pm
The doc

2008 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Java Black

Try talking to Guy Salmon Knutsford - they seem to have a "no nonsense" approach to repairs to keep the customer happy.

Welcome fellow Liverpudlian BTW Thumbs Up '09 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto for the Mrs

Using the works Fiesta 1.6 TDCI Sport Van - CHROME FREE THOUGH

Searching for a nice E63 AMG or S8 V10 to replace my "wonky" TDV8

Post #9332 12th Dec 2009 5:46pm
Stephen.125

Thanks for all the support, guys!

@The Doc, thanks for the welcome! I think we're in the minority up here seems like the RRS outsells the FFRR 10-1; and I don't have a problem with that!

Razz Thumbs Up

Post #9385 13th Dec 2009 2:10pm
Stephen.125

Spoke to the dealer today and apparently they still don't even have an ETA for the b*****d caliper!

Looks like I'll be without my car over Christmas Censored Big Cry

Post #9850 22nd Dec 2009 12:30pm
nbunney

United Kingdom 

Got my TDV8 back yesturday, new near side caliper / 2 new disks / new pads.

ALL free, under warrenty Very Happy

However that's only because it's LR warrenty, got the naff 1 they have given me after Jan, when the LR 1 runs out.

Post #9858 22nd Dec 2009 3:46pm
The doc

2008 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Java Black

How you getting on with Hatfields Jaguar Landrover? '09 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto for the Mrs

Using the works Fiesta 1.6 TDCI Sport Van - CHROME FREE THOUGH

Searching for a nice E63 AMG or S8 V10 to replace my "wonky" TDV8

Post #10174 31st Dec 2009 10:27am
Stephen.125

The doc wrote:
How you getting on with Hatfields Jaguar Landrover?

Hi doc, no progress yet. Think it may be time to call in the solicitors and look for costs. It's over three weeks now. The guy I am dealing with is helpful and trying his best. It seems that it's Jaguar Land Rover who need a good reaming! Who do you use for your stuff? Thanks for the thoughts and Happy New Year!

Post #10291 1st Jan 2010 10:03pm
Stephen.125

2006 MY S/C Rear Brake Woes- Update

Apparently, following a really helpful call to Lookers (formerly Charles Hurst Park Royal)...

The OSR caliper is still on back order- if you want an exchange part. to buy one new, they are available...

Censored Twisted Evil Evil or Very Mad Now Hatfields Liverpool aren't returning my calls.

Score: lookers-1: Hatfields- 0: me- Censored Mad

Land Rover CRC still haven't returned my calls either!

And tomorrow morning I've been without the car for 4 weeks in the worst weather in at least a decade!

C***s!

Post #10585 6th Jan 2010 5:56pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>