JOKER

Scotland 

How , have you not got a Big battery charger ….. Laughing Embarassed

Left stage right ….. Whistle

Post #104425 30th Jan 2012 7:34pm
Polux

2005 Range Rover Autobiography 4.4 V8 Monte Carlo Blue

great just the post i needed

can anyone confirm if the cigarette lighter is disabled when engine is off, my battery dies after 4 days stood. had it checked out. alternator fine, battery fine,

however they did find a 3amp draw from somewhere cannot determine where, so was suggested i buy a solar panel (1.5w on the dashboard and plug in into lighter to compensate for the draw, not sure this is working though. (£15 off ebay) also bought a £160 battery starter from halfords the big 40ohm version, just in case

mines a 2005 rr4.4 autoboig with touchscreen sat nav.

cheers

Post #104426 30th Jan 2012 7:38pm
JOKER

Scotland 

Think the only cigarette lighter that is live all the time is the one in the boot

Post #104428 30th Jan 2012 7:53pm
Reformed

England 

I leave my solar charger plugged in the boot socket, with the solar charger on the rear quarter window.

That is a perminant live. You could always check with something like a mobile phone charger plugged in with the car shut down. Reformed

Post #104430 30th Jan 2012 8:02pm
alanm_3

Location: my House, unless Iā€™m not at home, in which case Iā€™m somewhere else.

Scotland 2017 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

MICK wrote:
How , have you not got a Big battery charger ….. Laughing Embarassed

Left stage right ….. Whistle

Banging Head Thud Got - 2017 SDV8 Autobiography in Loire Blue
Had- 2008 TDV8 Vogue SE in Java black
Had - 2007 S/C in Stornoway Grey

Post #104431 30th Jan 2012 8:15pm
nicedayforit

England 2004 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Giverny Green

@polux

I doubt you had a 3A drain on the car that took 4 days to drain the battery, I would expect it to almost go overnight at that rate.
It's possible when they checked the drain something hadn't gone fully to sleep.
When I checked mine I found 70mA drain on the sat nav / audio and 70mA on the air suspension both of which took 30min to clear.
A 1.5W solar charger won't keep up with that sort of drain given that they usually operate with a significantly reduced output.
I think you should consider investing in one of the Ctek battery chargers / conditioners to keep your battery topped up.

Post #104433 30th Jan 2012 8:22pm
Jr-auto-electrics

England 2004 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Java Black

Find the fault and see what's no going to sleep.

If you've got a multi meter set up, try removing fuses 1 by 1 until you find it. RANGE ROVER 04 TD6
RANGE ROVER ULTIMATE EDITION 2012
UPGRADE.
MK 4 SATNAV
http://www.flickr.com/photos/jrautoelectrics/

Post #104449 30th Jan 2012 9:45pm
Rambles

2011 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Stornoway Grey

not sure if this helps, but "acceptable" drain when tests are done on a FFRR is up to 30mA.

a 3A drain will run a 90Ah battery flat in a max of 30 hours (assuming the battery can keep going all the way until zero)

Post #104662 31st Jan 2012 8:10pm
mrblonde

United Kingdom 2003 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Adriatic Blue

47p2 wrote:
Takes around 30 minutes driving to fully charge a battery after starting the engine Shocked

I was told several hours wouldnt fully recharge a flat battery, i may be wrong though? (Having battery problems myself Sad )

Post #104880 1st Feb 2012 9:17pm
mrblonde

United Kingdom 2003 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Adriatic Blue

Polux wrote:
great just the post i needed

can anyone confirm if the cigarette lighter is disabled when engine is off, my battery dies after 4 days stood. had it checked out. alternator fine, battery fine,

however they did find a 3amp draw from somewhere cannot determine where, so was suggested i buy a solar panel (1.5w on the dashboard and plug in into lighter to compensate for the draw, not sure this is working though. (£15 off ebay) also bought a £160 battery starter from halfords the big 40ohm version, just in case

mines a 2005 rr4.4 autoboig with touchscreen sat nav.

cheers

Polux, when my TD6 battery died on me (couple of times this winter Sad ), Mr AA's battery booster did absolutely nothing, in the end had to link up with jump leads to his AA van to get my TD6 going, hope your booster works for you mate, from experience with them though, they didnt get my baby going

Post #104881 1st Feb 2012 9:19pm
Renegade2

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Stornoway Grey

Whe i first had my TD6 it was not long after that i stared gettng problems with the battery and one day after wrok i went out to the car an dit was dead. I called LANDROVER ASSIST and they soon had her started with jumps leads. I took her into the dealer and they all was ok. Then a couple of months later same problem, this time they measured it and said that something was draining it, back to dealer they stated that all was ok. Same again and AA came out they said that there was a 1amp drain, back to dealer no problem.

Then it started dying all the time so into dealer and new battery that was in March this year, last month i noticed that the HD Inactive was coming on in the mornings for a few seconds and that the screen and audio go of for longer when you turn her over. I have changed the fsr couple of weeks ago and also i have bought a CTEK MSX10 charger. I have also orderd a new multimeter to see what is going on. But all the times it has been into the dealer nothing was ever found?

Post #104906 1st Feb 2012 11:19pm
Les Pes

Guernsey 

Change the Dealer Exclamation

Landrover seem to be conditioning us ready for the electric versions with all this having to plug something in just to get it to do what it should do in the first place. Looking right now for the FFRR ultimate upgrade

Post #105110 2nd Feb 2012 9:56pm
bosch

United Kingdom 2018 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Corris Grey

So far the battery has been okay, checked the drain and was reading 0.92 Mv which apparently is normal,

I am now off to New Zealand for 2 weeks and leaving the range at the airport, i am so confident the battery will be okay that i have put a spare in the boot lol Range Rover SDV8

Post #105217 3rd Feb 2012 1:41pm
comports

United Kingdom 2016 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Mariana Black

Not to hijack this thread... But.... I have a battery charger that is a conditioner as well. It willl drain the battery down and recharge fully if need be to bring it fully back to life.... but generally will act as a conditioner and just intelligently charge it to keep it topped up.

I;ve noticed my car takes longer to start in th emorning as at the moment I generally drive 7 or 8 mins to the station car park at 6.30am and then home again 7 or 8 mins at night and park straight up. It never really gets a chance to recharge. (ps I don;t use the FBH another story) and don't go far at weekends. So I;m starting to use more than I;m putting back over the weeks.

My question... I park in my garage and the battery is at the front right and difficult to get to once parked (i;ve got too much crap in the garage).

Would it be ok to connect the charger up to a cigarette lighter plug and plug into the rear socket..? Would I need some heavy duty cables into the back of the cigarette lighter plug and would it be able to take the charge via this route..? Thinkin gof going to maplins and making something up along these lines. Would I need inline fuses etc..?

Thanks Ash
------------------------------------------------------
2016 SDV8 AB

Post #105275 3rd Feb 2012 5:45pm
VaguelyVogue

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Buckingham Blue

Things that I would consider:
1) "drain the battery down and recharge fully" - whilst this is fine for NiCad batteries, it's not for lead acid (they generally dislike being discharged fully)
2) from memory, the lighter socket is wired (and fused) at about 6A - so you need to check the maximum discharge/ charge current
3) you may find that the voltage drop between the battery and the rear lighter is enough to make an intelligent (i.e. voltage measuring device) think that your battery is in a worse state than it actually is - I have to admit that I have't measured the actual voltage to check this theory though !

Post #105292 3rd Feb 2012 6:46pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>